How to cure religious belief.......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 06:29 PM
How to cure religious belief.......
and bigotry.......maybe.

"Disabling parts of the brain with magnets can weaken faith in God and change attitudes to immigrants, study finds."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...95291.html

" A joint team of American and British scientists have discovered that powerful magnetic pulses to the brain can temporarily change people's feelings on a variety of subjects - from their belief in God, to their attitude to immigration.

The study, published in the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, saw scientists use a metal coil to create strong magnetic fields around certain parts of the brain.

The non-invasive practice is called trancranial magnetic stimulation, and has can be used to treat depression.

However, researchers have now found that by targeting the part of the brain that deals with threats, they can temporarily change people's beliefs and views.

Amongst those who received the strong magnetic dose, 32.8 per cent fewer had decreased beliefs in God, angels and heaven compared to the control group who received no dose.
"

Maybe we could put YUGE, BIGLY magnets over churches and turn the pulse on REALLY HIGH. Shocking People would emerge from churches with tithe money still in their pockets and maybe a little more space in their brain for logic.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-03-2017, 06:34 PM
RE: How to cure religious belief.......
(16-03-2017 06:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "Disabling parts of the brain with magnets can weaken faith in God and change attitudes to immigrants, study finds."

Break out the tinfoil hats!

Hobo
[+] 6 users Like Thoreauvian's post
16-03-2017, 06:38 PM
(16-03-2017 06:34 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 06:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "Disabling parts of the brain with magnets can weaken faith in God and change attitudes to immigrants, study finds."

Break out the tinfoil hats!

Hobo

Lol naw, I've looked into these claims. From what I've seen its true, but the effects only last a few minutes. Not particularly useful for some long term conspiracy theory plan....

Then again conspiracy theory types are pretty thick... FML....

yup break out the tin foil hats lol.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
16-03-2017, 06:38 PM
There is nothing magnetic in the human body, which also includes our brain and the bits of energy that zap through our brain chemicals, therefor, this is fake news, and pseudoscience.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
16-03-2017, 06:41 PM
(16-03-2017 06:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  There is nothing magnetic in the human body, which also includes our brain and the bits of energy that zap through our brain chemicals, therefor, this is fake news, and pseudoscience.

Wait.... there's no Iron in your blood?

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post
16-03-2017, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 07:06 PM by JesseB.)
(16-03-2017 06:38 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  There is nothing magnetic in the human body, which also includes our brain and the bits of energy that zap through our brain chemicals, therefor, this is fake news, and pseudoscience.

Look I don't care what a news paper says. I usually look for sources with .edu or .gov ect

so here

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25034472
http://solomon.as.utexas.edu/magnetar.html

Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
16-03-2017, 07:08 PM

Not everything that interacts with magnetic fields consists of magnetic materials. Any moving electrical charges, like the currents in wires, are affected by magnetic fields, even if the wires are non-metallic. The moving charges that carry the electrical impulses in the brain are also affected by sufficiently strong magnetic fields. I don't know if this newspaper story is true, but dismissing it simply because "there is nothing magnetic in the human body" is too simplistic.
[+] 6 users Like John Derderian's post
16-03-2017, 07:14 PM
(16-03-2017 07:08 PM)John Derderian Wrote:  

Not everything that interacts with magnetic fields consists of magnetic materials. Any moving electrical charges, like the currents in wires, are affected by magnetic fields, even if the wires are non-metallic. The moving charges that carry the electrical impulses in the brain are also affected by sufficiently strong magnetic fields. I don't know if this newspaper story is true, but dismissing it simply because "there is nothing magnetic in the human body" is too simplistic.

Hell I haven't even read the story, and I don't care to, but if the story says that we're gonna be controlling peoples minds with magnets then I call bullshit.

I mean if you want to tell me electricity and magnets don't interact at all then... Facepalm
Also... There is Iron in peoples blood right? I mean.... its been a while since I've taken a bio class but......

but that in no way would suggest that all the ridiculous claims that putting a magnet on your wrist is gonna help you... that's absurd. A claim like that would need evidence to which there is none.

But there are things in the human body that do interact, and it is possible to fuck with the brain using even just an MRI machine. Like most pseudoscience there's some loose association to realty at a very superficial level and then they jump off the deep end (though sometimes they just jump off the deep end based on non empirical observations)

That's what I think anyway. At least I can back up why I think it with some (and I can find more) more reliable resources, that provide empirical evidence.

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
16-03-2017, 07:42 PM
(16-03-2017 07:14 PM)JesseB Wrote:  But there are things in the human body that do interact, and it is possible to fuck with the brain using even just an MRI machine. Like most pseudoscience there's some loose association to realty at a very superficial level and then they jump off the deep end (though sometimes they just jump off the deep end based on non empirical observations)
Exactly. The human body does produce an electromagnetic field, but an extremely weak one. Slapping a tiny magnet on your wrist isn't going to do squat. So unless you want to walk around with an MRI gauge magnet constantly pulsing near your head, no one is going to control you through magnets.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LostLocke's post
16-03-2017, 07:45 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 07:50 PM by dancefortwo.)

No. The scientific abstract was published in the Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 2016, Oxford. It's not fake news. This doesn't seem to shorten even with Tiny url. Sorry. They used transcranial magnetic stimulation, which is a machine also used for depression.

Expires=1490060330&Signature=HY9~O6krtzeYT-gAl3J35W1K8ER0EXt6DqEK5DvxPRvq6JJh-8r1XbCYZKiEGTDyLiyaSu3pYwVUP083eaXzXm7CnLmuG8QLf2SGVpEHXadS5Wcqp2jgnwrYKnexrB0dM​1rTYymADXzXJ3g4xy0wE9xrzRB~dZStDKasGvyQMxBF2s-390UZ-aP19v79eYjs8Xnhl9703L6gle6Li2-N-zOSpzPyxaV6LUMUFEtu2l4sIJaCJt4JkHl1rjgic4jrSdJ5KUGL4Q7eYZmkFM54OyjBNfjK4flq9FGv1​6P8FhpTCq9664SVH6tI3peOrkgoVboTwSq8nuQhNKtuF23xcw__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIUCZBIA4LVPAVW3Q

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post