How to cure religious belief.......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2017, 07:47 PM
RE: How to cure religious belief.......
(16-03-2017 07:42 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 07:14 PM)JesseB Wrote:  But there are things in the human body that do interact, and it is possible to fuck with the brain using even just an MRI machine. Like most pseudoscience there's some loose association to realty at a very superficial level and then they jump off the deep end (though sometimes they just jump off the deep end based on non empirical observations)
Exactly. The human body does produce an electromagnetic field, but an extremely weak one. Slapping a tiny magnet on your wrist isn't going to do squat. So unless you want to walk around with an MRI gauge magnet constantly pulsing near your head, no one is going to control you through magnets.

Read the article.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-03-2017, 08:00 PM
(16-03-2017 07:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Read the article.
Which what I should have started with instead of replying to replies about "mind control" using magnets.... Undecided

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
16-03-2017, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2017 08:38 PM by JesseB.)
(16-03-2017 07:47 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 07:42 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  Exactly. The human body does produce an electromagnetic field, but an extremely weak one. Slapping a tiny magnet on your wrist isn't going to do squat. So unless you want to walk around with an MRI gauge magnet constantly pulsing near your head, no one is going to control you through magnets.

Read the article.

I qualified it as IF I made no assumptions about the contents of the article. I really don't intend to read it as I have a limited amount of time to spend in my life. My comments stand on their own and were simply in response to others commented.

IF the article doesn't claim mind control magnets then it seems unlikely to offer anything of interest that is new. My point was to try and keep people from jumping off the deep end. Nothing more. Nothing less.

That said the link pointing to a scientific journal I'm far more interested in reading. I might look up that one.

(Journalists in my opinion are about as intelligent as their audience, I'm just not very interested in anything they have to say).

(By the way I should mention you included all the important bits in the quote below the link.... Those quotes line up with the papers on the subject I've already read. It's kinda old news dude.)

Edit^ I'm sucking at communication here... given peoples responses it seemed things would go very far off the deep end, that's why I wanted to put something out there that might help keep people grounded.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
16-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Anyone besides me bothered by this study? Who were the guinea pigs? Unsure

Plus...
(16-03-2017 06:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  However, researchers have now found that by targeting the part of the brain that deals with threats, they can temporarily change people's beliefs and views.
(bold mine)
"Hey look at that nonstop traffic. No threat there. I think I'll cross..." Blink

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
16-03-2017, 08:45 PM
(16-03-2017 08:40 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Anyone besides me bothered by this study? Who were the guinea pigs? Unsure

Plus...
(16-03-2017 06:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  However, researchers have now found that by targeting the part of the brain that deals with threats, they can temporarily change people's beliefs and views.
(bold mine)
"Hey look at that nonstop traffic. No threat there. I think I'll cross..." Blink

Thing is this is REALLY old news, and they were only able to effect changes for like a few min. There was no indication of any lasting damage. (and they prolly used college interns... duh... lol)

If you want to keep up on what's going on in the scientific community the last place to look would be a news organization, they are often YEARS behind. And they regularly fail to understand the shit they are reporting. The information is largely accessible as long as you know how to look.

(and please avoid creepy conspiracy sites....)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
16-03-2017, 09:32 PM
I'll admit. I prolly over reacted....

Felt like watching someone give a kid 2 pairs of scissors and invite them to a race.... Also.... I'm currently working on a debunk of a thing called "Electric Universe Theory" I really need people to slow down on creating more pseudoscience bullshit or I'll never get around to debunking it all....

Big Grin
16-03-2017, 09:36 PM
[Image: giphy.gif]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
17-03-2017, 02:42 AM
So magnets are Satan?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-03-2017, 03:36 AM
All you need now is the secret lair inside the volcano. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-03-2017, 03:37 AM
(17-03-2017 02:42 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  So magnets are Satan?

Nah, we don't have them that powerful, yet. Maybe Thomas Paine?

We know that the brain can be manipulated with magnets, as seen in the "God Helmet" experiments.

The salient point in this story is not that they can manipulate the brain, but that they've found the specific part of the brain that, when stimulated, causes the person to shift out of "threat" mode (which apparently includes an "I should worship an invisible but powerful being" setting) and back into rationality mode, until such time as the stimulation ends and the old settings return.

If you have fears with which you cannot cope on your own, you seek security externally. One of the expressions of this is the ultimate "blankie", God.

Using people's irrational fear-center to cause a population to give up rational thinking and embrace power structures has been exploited by politicians since time immemorial. It's how the USA-PATRIOT Act got rammed through, post 9/11.

It's why the "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" sermon was so successful that it has become the business model for every aggressive brand of fundamentalism in the United States for the past two centuries (and part of our cultural model).

Fear is a well-known control/sales tactic... now we know where it's happening. And that's pretty cool.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 6 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post