How to cure religious belief.......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 03:11 PM
RE: How to cure religious belief.......
(17-03-2017 11:48 AM)John Derderian Wrote:  
(16-03-2017 07:14 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I mean if you want to tell me electricity and magnets don't interact at all then... Facepalm
Huh? Where I did say anything like this? I said exactly the opposite: that magnetic fields *can* affect the electrical activity of the brain.

That was in response to the comment "there's nothing magnetic in the human body" which you didn't post. Did I not use the reply button with the correct post attached?

Edit ^ OH I see where the confusion is, I was trying to back up your point.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2017, 03:26 PM
I once had a super magnet get stuck to my balls...

It broke the magnet....

Of course I was 16 years old and hadn't gotten any for a week.....

(It's as realistic a scenario, I think...)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-03-2017, 06:42 PM
(17-03-2017 03:09 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I wasn't commenting on the ethics involved.
I do think you're concerns on the ethics are valid. I was just trying to be a bit silly, you know the whole college intern thing?

And I apologize for not being clear, the conspiracy site thing wasn't intended to be directed at you, again my concern is for people reading this that would respond to the first "tin hat" comment and run into their pseudoscience shell.

Also I acknowledged that I prolly over reacted a bit.
No worries. Thanks for clarifying.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
17-03-2017, 07:53 PM
(17-03-2017 03:11 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Edit ^ OH I see where the confusion is, I was trying to back up your point.
Got it now. Sorry for the confusion on my end.
[+] 1 user Likes John Derderian's post
21-03-2017, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2017 07:41 PM by Dr H.)
(16-03-2017 06:29 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  and bigotry.......maybe.

"Disabling parts of the brain with magnets can weaken faith in God and change attitudes to immigrants, study finds."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...95291.html

" A joint team of American and British scientists have discovered that powerful magnetic pulses to the brain can temporarily change people's feelings on a variety of subjects - from their belief in God, to their attitude to immigration.

The study, published in the journal Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, saw scientists use a metal coil to create strong magnetic fields around certain parts of the brain.

The non-invasive practice is called trancranial magnetic stimulation, and has can be used to treat depression.

However, researchers have now found that by targeting the part of the brain that deals with threats, they can temporarily change people's beliefs and views.

Amongst those who received the strong magnetic dose, 32.8 per cent fewer had decreased beliefs in God, angels and heaven compared to the control group who received no dose.
"

Maybe we could put YUGE, BIGLY magnets over churches and turn the pulse on REALLY HIGH. Shocking People would emerge from churches with tithe money still in their pockets and maybe a little more space in their brain for logic.

Sounds like a variant on Michael Persinger's "God helmet".

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...6099000690

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16861170

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
21-03-2017, 08:46 PM
(17-03-2017 03:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  All you need now is the secret lair inside the volcano. Wink

> And don't forget the white cat. Big Grin
22-03-2017, 10:30 AM
(17-03-2017 03:26 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I once had a super magnet get stuck to my balls...

It broke the magnet....

Were you by any chance channeling the Chuckster at the time? Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-03-2017, 05:51 PM
hey - thanks for sharing all the informational links! A psychiatrist had recommended this for my mom recently and I was very sceptical. I will spend some time with the links although they may be a bit "sciency" for me Huh
Isn't God amazing? He used an atheist web site to help me find the help my mom needs Wink
[+] 1 user Likes mustardseed's post
23-03-2017, 06:32 PM
(23-03-2017 05:51 PM)mustardseed Wrote:  hey - thanks for sharing all the informational links! A psychiatrist had recommended this for my mom recently and I was very sceptical.

You might need to check whether she should actually be seeing a psychologist in future—rather than a psychiatrist. The former treats behavioural problems, the latter treats brain chemistry dysfunctions. Two only superficially different therapies, but each very distinctive.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
23-03-2017, 07:07 PM
(23-03-2017 06:32 PM)SYZ Wrote:  You might need to check whether she should actually be seeing a psychologist in future—rather than a psychiatrist. The former treats behavioural problems, the latter treats brain chemistry dysfunctions. Two only superficially different therapies, but each very distinctive.

very good point - thanks! She only wants to talk to Christian doctors though Facepalm Oh well, I'll take my case to the psychology help thread. I truly do appreciate the knowledge gained from reading the various threads Smile