How to deal with a fundamentalist/mentally ill friend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2016, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 12:41 PM by jason197754.)
How to deal with a fundamentalist/mentally ill friend?
Hi. I'm a recent deconverted catholic...now atheist/freethinker...but I live with a friend who is a fundamentalist catholic...and she is bipoar and has a lot of anxiety....We met about 3 years ago when I was a hard core catholic. I was a convert to catholicism. I'm 38 and she is 64. I think she was brainwashed and
programmed by her upbringing in the Catholic church and by all the Christian and catholic television that she has watched and still watches. She's very superstitious and dogmatic. I think she is a repressed lesbian. And I just recently came to the knowledge and conclusion that I'm Queer. But I'm still in the closet about my atheism and my sexuality. But I'm visually impaired and I live on a fixed income and can't live on my own. And my own Mother is mentally ill and my Dad passed away back in 2005. And my friend that I lives with needs help and a caretaker. Any advice, ideas or suggestions? I feel trapped and suffocatted and I need some real help. Thank you....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2016, 06:32 PM
RE: How to deal with a fundamentalist/mentally ill friend?
Earplugs?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
05-04-2016, 06:40 PM
(05-04-2016 12:35 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Hi. I'm a recent deconverted catholic...now atheist/freethinker...but I live with a friend who is a fundamentalist catholic...and she is bipoar and has a lot of anxiety....We met about 3 years ago when I was a hard core catholic. I was a convert to catholicism. I'm 38 and she is 64. I think she was brainwashed and
programmed by her upbringing in the Catholic church and by all the Christian and catholic television that she has watched and still watches. She's very superstitious and dogmatic. I think she is a repressed lesbian. And I just recently came to the knowledge and conclusion that I'm Queer. But I'm still in the closet about my atheism and my sexuality. But I'm visually impaired and I live on a fixed income and can't live on my own. And my own Mother is mentally ill and my Dad passed away back in 2005. And my friend that I lives with needs help and a caretaker. Any advice, ideas or suggestions? I feel trapped and suffocatted and I need some real help. Thank you....

Can you find some help from the medical community? Social services? It sounds like you've taken on a lot of burden and the situation is very stressful for you. Do you have friends you could be with that would alleviate the tension? If not, perhaps you could join a meetup group at ....Meetup.com. They have atheist groups and queer groups, many others too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear that: caring for a mentally ill person is not easy.
My father was a very pious catholic but not mentally ill, and it was hard living with him, so I can empathise.
Perhaps you should try to find her a very fundamentalist catholic therapist: a licenced person, to be sure: one who shares her values, but still answers to a professional body.
Her diocese might be able to recommend someone.
Keep in mind you don't need to share this person's beliefs to want what's best for her, but she might respond better to someone who shares her beliefs.
Good luck, and don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
05-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Being a carer is tough. I know. 10 years spent nursing my mother through MS.

There is no way to cure this person of her religion. Do not try. The thing to do is avoid religious discussion. Change the subject or something. Even go so far as to say it makes you uncomfortable. The reasons remain your own and you can say so.

Good luck! Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post