How to deal with stereotyps and bias based on ethnicity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 08:10 AM
RE: How to deal with stereotyps and bias based on ethnicity
(27-01-2014 06:02 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 12:30 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Germans love to eat sauerkraut and sausages and drink a lot of beer.
I love to eat sauerkraut and sausages, and I drink beer but only bud light. Can I still count as a stereotypical German? Big Grin

No. No True German would drink Bud Light. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 08:20 AM
(27-01-2014 08:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  No. No True German would drink Bud Light. Angry

I do....... do I have to hand in my German man card now ? Blush
Find all posts by this user
27-01-2014, 08:24 AM
(27-01-2014 08:20 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I do....... do I have to hand in my German man card now ? Blush
Yes, give it here. Angry

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-01-2014, 09:50 AM
(27-01-2014 08:20 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 08:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  No. No True German would drink Bud Light. Angry

I do....... do I have to hand in my German man card now ? Blush

Yes. You are a disgrace. Angry

Unless you only drink it at breakfast. That's OK.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Jeezzz, tough crowd in here..... I like it ! Cool
27-01-2014, 11:12 AM
I remember I was at an OM&M concert when everyone started moshing, I saw an Arab dude out of the corner of my eye. He had shemag (or however you spell it) and was carrying a decent sized backpack that looked heavy as he had to keep adjusting the weight on his shoulders. He was not a fan, I don't know why he was there. He just kept looking at the crowd and the band with dirty looks. I watched him for a few minutes and then looked around. There was at least a thousand "heathens" in a closed off room (similar to an aircraft hangar but without the big door for the planes) not paying attention. There was only two visible doors that didn't have enough room for a mass exodus.
Just as I started thinking this, the guy calmly walked to the center of the pit and stood there. I was freaking out and trying to get my buddy to get the hell out of there. He wouldn't listen, and then I lost sight of the Arab. I spotted him a few minutes later by one of the exits (still with the back pack) as he left.
Nothing happened, never saw the guy after. I have no idea what he was doing. But man, you know the only thing running through my mind was "terrorist!"

Atir aissom atir imon
27-01-2014, 01:56 PM
I had my share of discrimination , in fact especially in Germany and Austria. Back in the 90's people there seemed like they expect me to rape and murder ( not necessarily in that order ) somebody at any time ( when in fact I had a a set schedule for that , who did they think they are dealing with Dodgy ) Some funny scenes, you can see peoples faces "Serb?...omg....omg....he's not restrained...somebody....hurry...shoot him with a tranquilizer dart...let's put him in a cage and display him, we'll make millions" and then when I grab some blond and climb the tallest building it's my fault Undecided

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
27-01-2014, 02:00 PM
(25-01-2014 06:48 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Theres a reason 'stereotypes' come to be, because they usually apply to the vast majority of said group.

I don't think that's a fair comment. Stereotypes generally come to be because they apply to a highly visible faction of said group. I doubt very highly that the majority of Italian Americans are mob-connected. But a lot of mob-connected people are Italian American! (And the same can be said for other groups plagued by the same stereotype).

(Just caught up with the later comments and appreciate how everyone handled it. Well-done all around).
[+] 3 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
27-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Stereotyping people = Soft-core racism.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
30-01-2014, 08:10 AM
maybe we all have our prejudice even someone myself with brown skin and brown eyes and with a "islamic scary sounding last name"

the key is recognizing your prejudice and just in general try not to judge the person before you actually see their behavior or get to know them.
[+] 2 users Like exmuslim's post