How to debate end timers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 06:11 PM
How to debate end timers
My brother is telling me the end of the world and all this weird weather is a direct result of America not listening to God.

I asked him to finally back up what he is saying so he sends me a bunch of bible verses that talk of goats with long hair, bulls and weird statues.

I asked him to explain to me how this in any way backed up anything in his original statements.

All he could say was "all I can say is when you go to church, that's school, and you just get it. Just like learning how an engine works"

To which I responded: "Well, not exactly. When I ask you to teach me about how to tune up an engine you teach me exactly that. You don't ask me to read about talking plant life or animals that don't get hair cuts?"

When you guys are done laughing, can you help me understand a better way to confront this kind of logic? It the way my whole family believes and I really would like some help refuting their end times bs.

I checked the refuting section on Seth's site and didn't see anything on this topic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Spicetooth's post
29-10-2012, 06:14 PM
RE: How to debate end timers
Welcome to the forum.

Jumping straight in and skipping the intros?

I kinda like that. Drinking Beverage

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
29-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Oops, ya, I'm new to forums in this capacity so ill go to that now.
[+] 1 user Likes Spicetooth's post
29-10-2012, 06:18 PM
No man. Seriously. Don't feel obligated at all! I really do respect the attitude of gettin in and sayin what you wanna say.

Not that we wouldn't like an intro. Just don't feel like you have to.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
29-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Welcome Spicetooth!

I can't really help much with the whole 'how to debate with end timers', but my advice to you is to try and keep as much sanity as you can when facing it.

Most of my family members are big fans of that End of Times thing.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
29-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Ya, man it's crazy how someone can try to tell me for an hour straight he has proof the world is over because of America's sin then show me some shit about goats??? Mind crippling.
29-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Where you at the dinner table by any chance, when this happened? That's where I was subjected most to that type of talk.

An hour straight? Better than me. :'/

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
29-10-2012, 07:14 PM
If by weird weather he means Hurricane Sandy, point out that the mid-Atlantic has gotten a storm like this every 5-10 years for the last three hundred years at least. Weird weather? Not so much.

Now if he'd said that in 2005, then maybe he'd have something to talk about, but 2012 is pretty tame as far as weather goes. Not just hurricanes, either...

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
29-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh, I'm not even going to touch on that part of it. I just want him to see how his verses he provides have nothing to do with his arguments
29-10-2012, 07:25 PM
(29-10-2012 06:11 PM)Spicetooth Wrote:  My brother is telling me the end of the world and all this weird weather is a direct result of America not listening to God.

I asked him to finally back up what he is saying so he sends me a bunch of bible verses that talk of goats with long hair, bulls and weird statues.

I asked him to explain to me how this in any way backed up anything in his original statements.

All he could say was "all I can say is when you go to church, that's school, and you just get it. Just like learning how an engine works"

To which I responded: "Well, not exactly. When I ask you to teach me about how to tune up an engine you teach me exactly that. You don't ask me to read about talking plant life or animals that don't get hair cuts?"

When you guys are done laughing, can you help me understand a better way to confront this kind of logic? It the way my whole family believes and I really would like some help refuting their end times bs.

I checked the refuting section on Seth's site and didn't see anything on this topic.

Just tell 'em Jeebus thought the same thing, and all the early Christians thought the same thing, and they were all wrong. The world will end, unless humans screw up something, or a huge asteroid hits, when the sun goes red giant.

Luke 21:32 "I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened".

woops

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tried to debate and got censored MrMaybeSomething 8 265 22-05-2014 05:02 AM
Last Post: Cathym112
  Sean Carroll & William Lane Craig Debate Naturalism vs. Theism, February 21, 2014 aoflex 8 473 06-03-2014 03:20 PM
Last Post: le_bard
  Post Nye/Ham debate Facebook debate Colourcraze 14 415 08-02-2014 05:49 PM
Last Post: Colourcraze
  Help with Debate Atheos666 12 586 01-01-2014 10:26 PM
Last Post: WindyCityJazz
  Debate.org Atheos666 1 231 31-12-2013 03:35 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Debate with Theists- Be Honest Yasmin 43 1,768 17-11-2013 03:31 PM
Last Post: grizzlysnake
Question Advice required! Invited to speak at a debate with a theist! nooneofconsequence 7 336 05-11-2013 05:01 PM
Last Post: nooneofconsequence