How to debate with a Christian?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2013, 11:21 AM
RE: How to debate with a Christian?
(23-07-2013 10:47 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...ask them WHY they believe what they believe.
Always keep the focus on what they believe and why they believe it. None of this has anything to do with you...

Good point. That is a big part of what I was trying to say and you stated it better than I did. My point about making sure you educate yourself is so that when discussing what they believe you can address it in a salient way.

Their beliefs are flawed, they will fail on their own, so you don't need to give them an alternative to their beliefs that they will like better. It's not about, look how much better science is, or evolution is, or whatever. Those things are just about what is true or not. An alternative to their view is not needed. Just focus on the truth of their views. That's where their arguments crumble...in the face of reality.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
23-07-2013, 11:29 AM
I don't bother debating in person. I don't have the excellent memory required to recall all the different fallacies, historical and biblical contradictions, etc. that I would use to make my points. I like to understand how people think, though. I open with "I have some challenges around understanding religion. Would you be willing to answer my questions?"

1. Why did you choose your faith out of all the possible options?
2. Why do you think there are so many different gods and religions?
3. How can people believe in, and experience, gods that aren't real?

When you do debate, focus on having a learning experience, not an emotional argument.

...it would rather be a man... [who] plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice.
23-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Firstly, do some research. Check out this playlist and these videos for some great arguments against batshit crazy creationist claims.

Don't play the victim. When I first finished HS, I was at a tech school with this dumbass "new Christian" who decided to send a torrent of nonsensical "what ifs" at me in a fairly aggressive manor. I was pretty young, so I didn't know how to answer the questions, and his demeanor didn't give me a chance to really think about them, anyway. He wasn't trying to convince me, he was trying to bully me into agreement.

Your demeanor should be relative to theirs. Unfortunately, hot topics like this tend to get heated, but you'll learn to deal with the emotional aspects of this debate the more you get into it.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
25-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Go to a wall.
Face it.
Talk to it.
That is the experience you will get while debating, so prepare yourself!

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 3 users Like Question's post
25-07-2013, 12:51 AM
(25-07-2013 12:34 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Go to a wall.
Face it.
Talk to it.
That is the experience you will get while debating, so prepare yourself!

That would be much less frustrating. Listening to Clash from the Past now and it is brutal.
25-07-2013, 03:18 AM
(22-07-2013 10:31 PM)JDepps Wrote:  I am not an atheist. I'm an agnostic.

You are both. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I joined a Christian Forum! Shadow Fox 16 173 Today 06:33 AM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Just joined a christian chat site MrKrispy601 20 279 28-07-2014 05:37 PM
Last Post: Wicked Clown
  Excerpt from my christian forum experience MrKrispy601 0 64 27-07-2014 06:55 PM
Last Post: MrKrispy601
  You're given 5 minutes to deconvert a Christian, how would you do it? TheInquisition 77 1,222 21-07-2014 08:55 PM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  My Buddhist Roommate Laid The Smackdown On A Christian Conservative Nut! WindyCityJazz 6 219 20-07-2014 11:00 AM
Last Post: therealJim
  Just had my first public debate, with pastor Phil Fernandes Mark Fulton 36 493 14-07-2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: PigMonkeyandFrog
Thumbs Down Most Ridiculous Christian Warning I've Heard WindyCityJazz 21 481 13-07-2014 12:39 AM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus