How to debunk Pascal's wager

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2015, 01:40 PM
RE: How to debunk Pascal's wager
Your response is exactly what pascals wager wants.

Rather, it is unreasonable to take a claim as true only because it posits a threat. Your brother, I'm sure, doesnt dodge the cracks on the basis that it would break his mothers back. The 'threat' is part of the claim, so needs to be substantiated as well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
17-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Quick "off the top of my head" issues with Pascal's Wager.

1. Heaven or an afterlife is not proven to exist nor is it even a plausible hypothesis given that there has never been a discovery that indicates we can experience anything after our physical brain dies.

2. "Which god?" Is appropriate. If the god requires belief in order to be sent to the good afterlife. You can't be believing in a Hindu god if the actual god is Zeus.

3. Even if you choose the right god, what's to say you are following the correct way to worship it? There are so many versions of worship, and so many versions of who gets into the good afterlife and who doesn't. This isn't binary.

4. Pascal's wager argues that you lose nothing if you are wrong about there being a god. I STRONGLY disagree. You lose a lifetime of sovereignty and liberty. You lose countless hours of worship, worry, and false feelings. You lose pieces of your life that you devoted to a lie. To spend a life believing in something that isn't real...and really devoting yourself to it. It's incredibly sad, and a damn shame.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
17-12-2015, 04:05 PM
How to debunk Pascal's wager
Your brother is following the theist tactic of plugging his fingers into his ears and repeating "la la la la la."
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
17-12-2015, 06:28 PM
(17-12-2015 01:01 PM)Sylia Gray Wrote:  I have a Christian brother who tried to debunk my atheism with Pascal's wager by saying that atheist are screwed whether we are right or wrong about God's existence and that its better to believe in God and be wrong.

I tried to debunk him back by asking him if there was a God, you would have to believe in the right God to be in some kind of paradisical afterlife so how do you know which god is the right god? Because if you believe in god but its the wrong god, you would still go to Hell.

Yup, that's a valid criticism. Here are a few others.

#sigh
17-12-2015, 06:40 PM
This should help you a bit.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 2 users Like Shadow Fox's post
17-12-2015, 10:22 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2015 10:26 PM by true scotsman.)
(17-12-2015 01:01 PM)Sylia Gray Wrote:  I have a Christian brother who tried to debunk my atheism with Pascal's wager by saying that atheist are screwed whether we are right or wrong about God's existence and that its better to believe in God and be wrong.

I tried to debunk him back by asking him if there was a God, you would have to believe in the right God to be in some kind of paradisical afterlife so how do you know which god is the right god? Because if you believe in god but its the wrong god, you would still go to Hell.

And then my brother said something like it doesn't matter. It's still better to believe and be wrong because what if you disbelieved and you were wrong?

Apparently, he doesn't see the weakness in his argument and the whole Pascal's wager. It seems like it doesn't get through to him

Is there something wrong with how I debunked it to him?

I think there's a better way. Your way accepts his premise that there is a god in the first place and it's possible he might be worshiping the wrong one. I would attack the premise that you have nothing to lose in believing for pragmatic reasons.

It's not true that you "lose nothing" if you believe in God. You lose everything that matters. You lose your self esteem. You have to accept without any evidence, that you are evil by nature, that you can do no good and that you, yourself, are the standard of evil and corruption and depravity. You have to place your ideal of the good in another realm which is out of your reach. You must abandon your reasoning mind and accept, again without any evidence, a pack of contradictions in order to believe in God. You have to give up any purpose that you might have for your life and dedicate it to this God, which you have no alternative but to imagine. You have to serve this imagined being, not knowing why. You have to be prepared to sacrifice your greatest values for this god without knowing the reason, such as when in the story book, Abraham was told to sacrifice his son as a burnt offering.

Reason, purpose, self esteem, values....these are all necessities to life. So you don't "lose nothing" in believing in his God, you lose everything.

I would also add that one can not accept, even hypothetically, that for which there is no objective evidence. To do so constitutes a breach of reason, and there is no such thing as a harmless breach of reason.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 3 users Like true scotsman's post
17-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Just ask him if his god is so stupid he wouldn't actually know what was really in his inmost thoughts and that his god was nothing but an insurance policy.

Jebus no likey that shit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-12-2015, 01:21 AM
(17-12-2015 01:40 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Your response is exactly what pascals wager wants.

Rather, it is unreasonable to take a claim as true only because it posits a threat. Your brother, I'm sure, doesnt dodge the cracks on the basis that it would break his mothers back. The 'threat' is part of the claim, so needs to be substantiated as well.

Speaking of threats, if Christianity is real truth, why the fuck does it need to threaten nonbelievers with Hell-fire in order to get them to believe? If Christianity is hardcore truth, it should be able to stand on its own. The fact that is has to threaten people with Hell to get them to believe seems to tell me this Christianity is not worth its salt. And true blue Christians call themselves the salt of the world. Hahaha!!! Laughat

Heart War Angel Sylia
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2015, 01:27 AM
(17-12-2015 10:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Just ask him if his god is so stupid he wouldn't actually know what was really in his inmost thoughts and that his god was nothing but an insurance policy.

Jebus no likey that shit.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!Laughat So those Jehovah's Witnesses coming at my door are like insurance sales reps...

No thanks! LOL!!!Tongue

Heart War Angel Sylia
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Sylia Gray's post