How to defend myself as a newly agnostic person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2017, 11:56 AM
RE: How to defend myself as a newly agnostic person?
I don't know.
(But that's just the agnostic in me talking). Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Remember that being part of a religion is a different matter entirely. One could believe the Christian God was real but reject it as being immoral, as I would do if I believed such a thing. Or one could say that they don't need someone telling them how to live their life, even God.

But as others have said, you don't owe anyone an explanation. If someone can't handle you not being in the same group as them, that is their problem. Being agnostic is just being intellectually honest.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2017, 04:04 AM
Just have a firm belief it what is real.

I once heard a preacher tell a story of him visiting somewhere in Africa. He said some guy wheeled up in a wheel chair and asked for his blessing. He did so, and the man...GOT UP...and RAN AWAY, saying he's been cured/healed or whatever.

Or course this guy took it as 100% true, because he BELIEVES. I had to hold in a giant cry of "BOLLOCKS" as I was in a church at the time, supporting my mother who attends, because we know that to be FACTUALLY incorrect, no legitimately crippled person has EVER, and I stress EVER, stood up and walked by being touched by the hand of a white preacher man...because it's just not true.

So when they say: "but what about the miricle of the sun/[Other garbage thing that didnt happen]" you can just say, "Really? Like REALLY though?" and explain to them why it's not true.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
23-05-2017, 09:06 PM
(13-05-2017 01:36 AM)cantfixme Wrote:  I've recently come out of the religious hole I was stuck in and this may come off as a naive question, but I'm new as an agnostic, and I'm no good at explaining things to people, even if I know it when I'm nervous and scared to talk about it.

Trust me, I've been reading atheist-written articles on the Internet in the past couple days and I'm learning more by watching atheist YouTubers talk about it, and I, myself, am too nervous to even grasp at what I'm saying. What if a theist asks me if I'm religious, and I say, "No, I'm agnostic," then say in their religious defence of why I should be a Christian? I'm nervous enough as it is about it and I was lucky that I have two friends who can understand my point of view without judgement, and I get scared in my mind as to what I should say if I can't just leave the conversation.

I'm getting jittery just writing this post! I can't imagine a real life situation where someone could be polite as I would be to them and accept my answer with a look of appall (especially if they know me!), or they want to ask me for my reasons to give up religion, and have nothing to say in my nervousness.

Just in case, how should I explain why I'm agnostic and defend how I feel about my thoughts of theism respectfully without starting a heated debate? I don't want to lose my friends or cause a scene, or worse, burn bridges over it! Just how do I explain my defence of why I don't believe in what they're saying if they insist on it? I'm not likely bold enough to say in a sharp tone, "I'm agnostic. Deal with it."

Let me elaborate, like if they would ask me a question regarding religion (let's say a stranger with a religious pamphlet, for example), or worse, in a situation where a friend is questioning me why I decided to go the other direction other than the deity one they believe in, and are upset with me. I'm getting even more jittery now.

Guys, can you help me out here, please? I just need to prepare for the future. I'm still in my confused state of mind here and I don't know what I'm even believing, and forgive me if this post is bad or has poor grammar. I'll delete it if necessary and I'm just too nervous over a situation that has never happened (yet, or hopefully not at all.)

I hope I make sense here. The Internet is the only way I can voice out this concern since I'm still hiding my thoughts from people about it. I'm still confused about my own thoughts, let alone come up with a defence.

Just tell your critics there's not enough evidence to convince you of the claims of any religion. The burden of proof is not yours, so you have nothing to "defend."

No
[+] 3 users Like neurotibotical's post
23-05-2017, 09:43 PM
"How to defend myself as a newly agnostic person ?"

I don't know.
(That's a little joke, right there.) Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Slap 'em with the word of god!
01-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Personally, I welcome all discussions on any topic, especially religion. They inevitably all boil down to the same basic things. Any argument for any religion completely breaks down when looked at skeptically/logically and all comes down to faith. And I will not accept anything solely on faith.

As mentioned before, you don't have to engage in any discussion you don't want to. But if you continue to learn about logical fallocies, cognitive biases, science/scientific method, etc... you may become more comfortable with these discussions.
01-06-2017, 10:13 AM
(23-05-2017 09:43 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "How to defend myself as a newly agnostic person ?"

I don't know.
(That's a little joke, right there.) Tongue

Well, at least you aren't one of those "militant agnostics" who add the: "...and neither do YOU!" to it!
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post
01-06-2017, 08:34 PM
You could try a six strike combo. Parry, straight right, left hook, leg kick, left, right, left.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
01-06-2017, 08:45 PM
Use the Socratic Method.
It's more convincing (if that's what you ultimately want out of the outcome) to make them question their own beliefs instead of telling them why they are ignorant of reality. Religion is a hump that someone has to get over by themselves, ultimately.

If you just want to avoid argument simply say that you don't find the religion convincing and you'd prefer not to talk about it. Smile