How to defend myself as a newly agnostic person?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 10:42 PM
RE: How to defend myself as a newly agnostic person?
Agnosticism should be pretty easy to defend against the religious. You're not denying the existence of anyone's favorite secret friend. You're just pointing out that what people believe about what can't be demonstrated too often seems sloppy. It is almost as though true believers of every stripe are just dispositionally incapable of handling a lack of certainty. For anyone who really cares to know what is true, certainty isn't an entitlement. It's something you can have to a degree in some venues, but when it comes to the "meaning" or "purpose" of life or the ultimate origins of the cosmos, life and consciousness .. no one is entitled to certainty. Doesn't stop those who prioritize the feeling of certainty over a genuine search for the truth from declaring they've fount it, of course. But you've got to remember the advantage they think their faith gives them really just makes them look ridiculous.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
02-06-2017, 05:09 AM
(01-06-2017 10:42 PM)whateverist Wrote:  It is almost as though true believers of every stripe are just dispositionally incapable of handling a lack of certainty.
Yes, this is the crux of the matter. Religion's basic "product" is apparent certitude. Its basic appeal, if it does not obtain a follower from the cradle, is to the uncertainty and anxiety that it can find in an adult.

Of course a vulnerable young child is completely and helplessly at the mercy of the adults, authority figures and mentors in their lives, and tends to completely trust them. Without them, the child, too, is uncertain and anxious. Indeed, anxious adults are generally the product of early childhood chaos, inconsistency, abuse or outright abandonment.

Nor is the imagery of a celestial parent figure an accident. Religion is designed to appeal to children, to an adult's inner child, and failing that, to regress adults to childhood.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
02-06-2017, 07:17 AM
(02-06-2017 05:09 AM)mordant Wrote:  Nor is the imagery of a celestial parent figure an accident. Religion is designed to appeal to children, to an adult's inner child, and failing that, to regress adults to childhood.

A quote I always liked from "Dune" was "Religion is the emulation of the adult by the child."
[+] 1 user Likes Grauwyler's post