How to explain Miracles?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM

How to explain Miracles?
So far as an Atheist the main challenge I've gotten from my family is the fact that Miracles do exist. While I have heard some things that are hard to explain it really doesn't have to do with a God. Here is a story that has really kept the faith going for some family.

So my sister-in-law mother had cancer.Apparently there was a 10% survival rate. She was really ill, the treatment was having little affect on her. So she went and sat in front of her church. It was a hot summer day and she sat in front of a statue of Jesus and closed her eyes. All of a sudden she saw a light and heard a voice telling her it would all be okay now. So after that her treatment began to work and she got better. There were no signs of the cancer and she was A-okay.

I just say she imagined the whole thing and the treatment just kicked in. Do you counter when others bring up miracles? Or just let them believe that one did take place. How about miracles that seem to have no other way of happening other then God? Just wondering what others think. Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM

RE: How to explain Miracles?
Well, the fact that there is a 10% chance survival rate disproves the fact that it is a miracle. It would have been a miracle if there was a 0 % chance of survival and she survived. As for "seeing the light" science is not yet a the point where such experiences can be explained, so I won't try to.

There are probably hundreds if not thousands who do not survive this cancer. Coincidence sounds like a weak counterargument, but as long as something has a probability have happening, if given enough time, it should happen.
01-08-2010, 01:15 PM

(01-08-2010 01:07 PM)TruthAddict Wrote:  Well, the fact that there is a 10% chance survival rate disproves the fact that it is a miracle. It would have been a miracle if there was a 0 % chance of survival and she survived. As for "seeing the light" science is not yet a the point where such experiences can be explained, so I won't try to.

There are probably hundreds if not thousands who do not survive this cancer. Coincidence sounds like a weak counterargument, but as long as something has a probability have happening, if given enough time, it should happen.

That is very true if there is any amount of chance that you can survive then that pretty much throws out the possibility that it was a miracle. But still they won't listen to that kind of logic. Rolleyes
01-08-2010, 07:45 PM
The entire premise of your argument is flawed. People often see what they want to see. You're being asked to explain something that you did not witness and cannot confirm. I'm not suggesting your Sil's mother is lying, but I am suggesting that events may not have gone exactly as she is saying they did.

Having to face a near terminal disease is a frightening prospect. Where the human body may fail to cope with something, the human mind will help create defenses to help the person deal with the situation. I'm neither a chemist nor a biologist, but I do know there are biological reactions where chemicals are released by the brain to help the body deal with stress, with joy, with anger, etc. And, I believe there is evidence that state of mind can absolutely impact how we fight illnesses. It's not due to God, it's due to chemicals, endorphins, etc.

The answer to your question is this person experienced a combination of a biological reaction perceived through a belief in an almighty God and combined with beating the odds on her cancer. Good for her. It does not mean there is a God, though. There are plenty of people who don't have these epiphanies who beat the odds given them by doctors.

There is no point in having an argument with your family over this because you're never going to convince them. If they want to believe that God saved her, then it's no sweat off your back. I'd just ignore the argument altogether.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2010, 10:29 AM

had she just prayed and there was no science or medicine in the equation, sure, it was a miracle.
03-08-2010, 12:36 PM
(01-08-2010 12:55 PM)Mayuhito Wrote:  So far as an Atheist the main challenge I've gotten from my family is the fact that Miracles do exist.

Ask them to prove it.

Quote:So my sister-in-law mother had cancer.Apparently there was a 10% survival rate. She was really ill, the treatment was having little affect on her. So she went and sat in front of her church. It was a hot summer day and she sat in front of a statue of Jesus and closed her eyes. All of a sudden she saw a light and heard a voice telling her it would all be okay now. So after that her treatment began to work and she got better. There were no signs of the cancer and she was A-okay.

Note bolded. Not a miracle.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
03-08-2010, 02:53 PM

If she wasn't receiving treatment and she recovered it still wouldn't be a miracle.
06-08-2010, 04:21 AM

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
06-08-2010, 07:43 AM

I think we can say that the most that can be said to be verified with regard to the Resurrection, and called historical fact, is that some people at that time believed that Jesus rose from the dead. I doubt many historians, Christian or non-Christian would doubt that there were, indeed, some people who actually did believe Jesus rose from the dead.
06-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Miracles by their definition is meaningless, only what can happen will happen