How to fight

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
How to fight
Ok ,
So I noticed that being the reasonable , educated person with arguments, evidence and facts on your side is a lot of times pointless. Creationists always use the same old putrid chestnuts over and over and OVER again no matter how many times they get debunked.

I recently saw an article on a gaming site , and it made me think , are we going about this wrongly ?

Please watch it and tell me what you think :
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v...ildishness

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 10:54 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
RE: How to fight
Idk if there is anything to be gained by sinking to the Jerry Sringer/Faux News level of debating. Another thing to consider is that Faux News is quite special, and is nowhere near the average news network. It just gets a lot of views because of the Jerry Springer style they incorporated into the "SHOW".

You can pick on the guys with the opposing views they put up for slaughter, but in reality the way Faux News handles debates there is no way for the opposing view to ever win. They are often highly outnumbered, cut off in the middle of arguments, and simply ridiculed. I watched one debate where the news casters literally called the person with the opposing view an idiot repeatedly. That was their only rebuttal to his arguments.
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Well , sometimes it's the only way to get through.

Being reasonable is a way , but i am unsure it will always work.
This example really made me think about this , I mean some trolls managed to do what a whole string of rational , polite and good arguments failed to do.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
06-01-2012, 12:21 PM

A great way to GET PEOPLE to think (you'll rarely if ever WIN an argument, best you can hope for is some Mental WD40) is to end EVERY statement with a question mark.

QUIT SAYING things...start asking questions! Get them involved!

Sort of like Dan Barker outlines in Godless. "What would the bible have to do to be immoral?" is a good starter.

Ask them questions of real biblical examples: "Do you think it was fair for god to harden Pharaoh's heart during the Exodus Negotiations?", "Do you think that god kept Pharaoh from making a good choice?" ect....

Making statements gets you no where.... i made a statement that Jesus said "I did not come to bring peace, but a sword" and my catholic neighbor swore i was lying or made that up. I shit you not!

A good one was "Why did abraham see the inmorality in gods decision and call him out on it? Is abraham more moral than god?"

"Why would god want to kill moses over foreskin?" (that will generally get a look of bewilderment..as most Xtians glossed past this story.

So many more examples i could use.....

Just ask questions and you will be on your way to seeing them resort to "He's god he can do whatever" or just good ole name calling, both are normally where it all ends up.

I love telling folks about how MUCH MORE moral i am than the OT god...and for that matter...SO ARE YOU! :-)

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post