How to fool Allah and cheat during Ramadan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2011, 12:35 AM
How to fool Allah and cheat during Ramadan

More and more muslims use appetite suppressant pills during Ramadan. Since Ramadan falls in august this year, one of the hottest months, it's becoming quite hard for many people to get through the entire day. Using these pills gives them the feeling of a filled stomach and makes life much easier.

So, is this a way of fooling Allah or not?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2011, 01:25 AM
RE: How to fool Allah and cheat during Ramadan
I imagine those using appetite supressants would be pretty harmless.
Its the extreme hardliners bombing people in order to get to paradise and
all those virgins, that worry me.Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
22-08-2011, 04:14 AM
Well if Allah gave humans intelligence he should expect them to use it, right?

*cricket noise*

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
[+] 1 user Likes Efrx86's post
22-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Why did someone bring up bombs in a thread about Ramadan? Just like vitamin supplements I would think they should be seen as ok, but I'm not sure of what exactly Ramadan desires. Since you are to live without it may demand that you consume nothing. if you can't take oral medicines then a supplement pill would be right out. Of course not taking oral medicine could prove pretty bad.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-08-2011, 02:54 PM

I'm from the middle east, Israel actually, and u know there is lots of mixed up religions here, but the ppl surrounding me are mostly muslims, and i see them at the ramadan, they always fool allah, not just with the pill, they have another trick, they pull the clock backwards an hour so the feast would be shorter... thinking the pill would fool allah.
and want another thing i see?
as u know they're not allowed to do anything this month, so they do that in order not go to hell!... but the night of the Eid, hell breaks loose, i used to work at a gas station back then and i used to work during the ramadan, they're angels! they curse u if u drink water in-front of them, u know they say it in a polite way so they wont go to hell... but after the last dinner, when the ramadan is over and they break off from it, beer factories have to work harder! pimps will be richer!... how's that for fooling allah too?
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dr_d's post
26-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Seems like pretty typical behaviour. As an Orthodox Christian, I would vary my fasting habits by adding vegan options for variety when the whole point was to make meals simple so I'd have more time for prayer and reading. Cooking became complex and fasting became about the food...not the spiritual edification. Just about the only people who fasted 'correctly' were the monastics who's job it was to actually do that. The rest of us worldly folks couldn't do that. We assured ourselves that God would understand. LOL

Not really the exact same thing, but pretty similar behaviour when it comes to stuff like that.

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes zaika's post
26-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm with Lilith. How do we go from Dexatrim to Semtex?

It's funny. I was just thinking about devotion today. It struck me that acts of devotion are acts of sacrifice to demonstrate your commitment to something. So in Ramadan, you fast and suffer through that in order to show that you are devoted to Allah. So the appetite suppressant thing poses an interesting question (that I'm sure Muslim scholars are hard at work agonising over).

On the one hand, you could say that by lessening their suffering they are defeating the purpose because they're reducing the sacrifice made.

On the other hand, you could say that some people want to show their devotion but just can't make it through so the appetite suppressant helps them make it through something they otherwise wouldn't which is perhaps better than breaking and having a Twinkie mid-day.

Then there's the question of taking in the appetite suppressant. Do they do that before the fast? Because I know that some Muslims won't even smoke a cigarette because moisture might enter their bodies.

I don't know. It poses an interesting theological question.

As far ass fooling Allah, I do question the notion that Muslims are like, "Allah will never notice me doing this. It's the perfect crime!" I gotta figure if Santa can keep track of your being bad or Good, Allah's gotta be at least as good at it if not better. If I were to wager, I'd guess that it's more of a social issue. Cultures have certain requirements and adherence to or observance of those requirements bestows a social advantage on the adherent. So if you don't give a shit about Allah but you still want that advantage, “No, no, I’m cereal, I totally Ramadan it up, now about that…” then this sort of thing makes sense. More so than trying to pull a fast one on the Almighty.

That being said, I'd be curious to hear what the justifications and denouncements of this practice are.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
26-08-2011, 02:55 PM
I've often wondered what happens to Muslims who live in extreme latitudes when Ramadan occurs during the summer. You're waiting for the sun to go down so you can finally get something to eat and drink, but the sun . . . never . . . goes . . . down.

Now that is one helluva fast! Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
26-08-2011, 03:25 PM
hmm... I always thought the whole point to all this "hoop" jumping was to get people to fail and remind the population of the religions prominence... sort of a phycological confermation or remider that you are not good enough so worship harder.

But more important I always thought it was the way a religion forces it's members to divulge their religion to others in society.

Me:Hey want to go grab something for lunch...
Bob: No it's Ramadan, I can't.
Me : oh... did not know you were a Muslim.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
29-08-2011, 05:26 PM
(26-08-2011 03:25 PM)myst32 Wrote:  hmm... I always thought the whole point to all this "hoop" jumping was to get people to fail and remind the population of the religions prominence... sort of a phycological confermation or remider that you are not good enough so worship harder.

But more important I always thought it was the way a religion forces it's members to divulge their religion to others in society.

Me:Hey want to go grab something for lunch...
Bob: No it's Ramadan, I can't.
Me : oh... did not know you were a Muslim.

Spot on! Similarities to telling it all to a possibly masturbating priest, fish, once on Fridays. Of course, the big feast post ramadan might negate those brownie points.
Cults ,such as Jim Jones, really indicate the dangers of crazy conformity.Wink