How to help my mother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2012, 04:15 PM
RE: How to help my mother
I think your pushing it a bit here now Scarlet Confused

Yes you have given your viewpoint (which is your right) Leela has asked you to stop..... and yes she doesnt make the rules, nor run the forum..... but out of respect for the community I think you should just leave it now.

Anyway..........thats enough of me sticking my nose in Sleepy

Leela..... once your mum loses her internet access can you still communicate the old fashioned way with sending letters???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM
There's a good chance she can use the local library's PCs and internet connection to send and receive email (and generally browse the WWW), for free. Like a digital P.O.Box. So digital connection need not be lost.

A WiFi iPad/tablet – even second hand – with an internet contract would of course be ideal (and less than half the cost of a laptop). It would solve the email and phone problems in one fell swoop.
08-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Scarlet, when you see that people, specially the OP, do not want you opinions anymore, not on this subject at least, how many more posts will you put before you stop harassing the ones that need help?

Can you please NOT respond to this question and can you please, pretty please leave this thread and not comment on it. Please, for fuck sake man, you are making it all worse.

Thank you.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
08-07-2012, 05:18 AM
(07-07-2012 04:35 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  There's a good chance she can use the local library's PCs and internet connection to send and receive email (and generally browse the WWW), for free. Like a digital P.O.Box. So digital connection need not be lost.

This could be good advice for your Mom, Leela... especially if her boyfriend's recovery is very long, which it sounds as if it might be.
Getting herself to a library or local coffee shop to check her email, might get her out and momentarily take her mind away from all the crap she might need to deal with. It might become something she would look forward to.
When my Dad was in the hospital, I know it did my Mom good to get out of that environment, even for just a bit.
Something to think about. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
08-07-2012, 05:24 AM
kim, sounds like good advice, but internet in libraries is not for free in germany, costs the same as in internet cafes. Buying a used whatever or an internet connection is not an option either. My mom doesn't even have enough money to buy proper food or new jeans when she needs them (not even from a second hand store). Said that, no, she can't go and buy whatever and just to say that in advance, no, I can't buy it for her either.

Yes, when mail contact breaks, I can send her letters, but she won't answer, because she never does. So yes, I can send her a letter every day, just I won't know what's going on in her life, then.

This morning she sent me a short update. He needs a bit lest medication and a bit less oxygen now. Next week he will get a tracheotomy. She sounded a little bit more positive and thanked me for being there for her.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
08-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Leela, this is good news, slightly, but good. You never said what about your brother? Is there any chance he could get involved in all this? It could be a big help, specially if he is closer than you are.

P.S.
Anyone had an idea of some donations, maybe? Would that help in any way? Can we organize ourselves for something like that? We are a pretty big community after all... Just an idea.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-07-2012, 09:52 AM
(08-07-2012 07:10 AM)Filox Wrote:  Leela, this is good news, slightly, but good. You never said what about your brother? Is there any chance he could get involved in all this? It could be a big help, specially if he is closer than you are.

P.S.
Anyone had an idea of some donations, maybe? Would that help in any way? Can we organize ourselves for something like that? We are a pretty big community after all... Just an idea.
Good Idea.

We could all rally round and raise enough for a medium price range phone and lots of talktime.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
About my brother. Well I don't have any contact with him but my mother said that she visited him and she tells me about him every now and then so I am sure he is available.
When I told her that I would like to call her, she gave me a mobile number, but when I tried calling it was just a mailbox, gonna try again though.

Oh I asked her if his mother and sister can't help her in any way? At
least come to the hospital every once in a while? She told me, his
mother and sister haven't been to the hospital, yet. They plan to MAYBE
come next Tuesday. His sister said she doesn't have time because of her
business (she lives near btw). He has a sweet family, eh.... :/

Filox, that's really a sweet idea with helping/donating. I just wouldn't know how to do it AND how to make her accept any help that does not come directly from me or her friends. And even that's difficult. Back when I was in Germany, I always wanted to give her some cash so she gets over the next week fine, she would never accept it, I had to actually bring groceries so she couldn't deny it.
Not sure about the hospital. Health care is pretty advanced in Germany, so there won't be any costs for the surgeries etc. There may be costs coming up once he is released (whenever that may be).

08-07-2012, 10:17 AM
(08-07-2012 09:58 AM)Leela Wrote:  About my brother. Well I don't have any contact with him but my mother said that she visited him and she tells me about him every now and then so I am sure he is available.
When I told her that I would like to call her, she gave me a mobile number, but when I tried calling it was just a mailbox, gonna try again though.

Oh I asked her if his mother and sister can't help her in any way? At
least come to the hospital every once in a while? She told me, his
mother and sister haven't been to the hospital, yet. They plan to MAYBE
come next Tuesday. His sister said she doesn't have time because of her
business (she lives near btw). He has a sweet family, eh.... :/

Filox, that's really a sweet idea with helping/donating. I just wouldn't know how to do it AND how to make her accept any help that does not come directly from me or her friends. And even that's difficult. Back when I was in Germany, I always wanted to give her some cash so she gets over the next week fine, she would never accept it, I had to actually bring groceries so she couldn't deny it.
Not sure about the hospital. Health care is pretty advanced in Germany, so there won't be any costs for the surgeries etc. There may be costs coming up once he is released (whenever that may be).

Paypal will collect the money, all you need to do is go there and generate a donation button. People with paypal accounts can then donate and it all ends up in your paypal account. Then you can go and buy a vodaphone or whatever company giftcard and send it to mom.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Is it not weird to do that?