How to help my mother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: How to help my mother
So it seems to get better in big steps now.
The more the medication wears off the more he can do.
He still can't talk, but he can nod and shake his head and he can by now move his hand.
My mother tested him on this because she wanted to know if he can, in some way show his discomfort, she put her hand on his belly which she knows he doesn't like (generally) and he took her hand and put it away.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
31-08-2012, 02:13 AM
FSMscots post about his mom just reminded me that I did not update you guys anymore.
So my mums partner is in rehab now. He gets training for everything and he seems to do pretty well. Yesterday he got training for swallowing and he could swallow a bit of mashed apples.
With his left hand he is doing ok, with his right side it takes a bit of course (or was it the other way around, can't remember, sorry).
They wanted him to stack little wooden cubes and he had no idea what and how even when he was shown what to do. I don't know what to make of that.
He is getting his speech back!!! Something the doctors said, he will have lost! He says a few things, not much yet but a few anyway.
My mom said that now he is getting back his speech, he is trying to be cool. She told him that on Saturday she won't come and that his mother will come instead. He disagreed
She says he is angry from time to time but that is understandable. She described it like this. Imagine you get unconcious at home, you are being driven to the hospital where they put you in a coma and then you wake up at some point and can't move anymore, that is a reason to be angry. I agree.
But he is doing well, step by step he is relearning everything.

[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
31-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Wow! His recovery is amazing. Considering just 2 months ago, it was possible he would not even survive... and now he is able to speak a few words. He must be getting wonderful care. Thumbsup

Your Mom will be busy helping him to relearn just the smallest things. Make sure to remind her to also take care of herself and to keep up her strength. It's difficult to keep track of our own health when we are so focused on another's.

The aging human body doesn't take in nutrients the same way it used to beginning around middle age, so supplements can be essential to maintain a good level of energy. You might find out if your Mom already takes something and if she doesn't, suggest a supplement or even send her a supply each month.

I had noticed my Mom was beginning to be tired more frequently than she used to, and I became concerned. I helped her find a vitamin B complex, and made sure she started taking it. She has reported that she actually feels "up" and happier since she's been taking it. Ha - she calls it her happy pill. Big Grin

Best part for me is, I feel less stressed knowing that she's staying healthy. And I don't feel like I have to be there to take care of her. Wink

Might be the next thing to discuss with her. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
31-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a good idea! Smile I will try to do something like that as soon as I have some time (after the move and before she moves)
Right now she tries to find an apartment that is ok for someone with a wheelchair, or at least on the groundfloor.
I tell her over and over again, that she is doing really fine and so on. She said that this Saturday she will go, help a friend in the garden just to see something else for a change. I think it is a good idea. Just to have your mind focussed on something else at least for a few hours. Should do her really good.