How to help someone being abused?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2016, 11:41 AM
RE: How to help someone being abused?
(07-03-2016 11:39 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 11:32 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Id get advice from a shelter. But I might add that if her husband is that controlling when she does leave she needs to make sure he doesnt know where she is, for her safety. At least for a little while.

Add to that the need to be secure in phone conversations -- delete the call from the call log, etc. Tipping her hand in that sort of environment could possibly make him dangerously angry.

Or better yet, make the call from her part-time job.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
07-03-2016, 12:07 PM
(07-03-2016 11:41 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 11:39 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Add to that the need to be secure in phone conversations -- delete the call from the call log, etc. Tipping her hand in that sort of environment could possibly make him dangerously angry.

Or better yet, make the call from her part-time job.

This! She is going to have to use means to communicate that he cannot access.
[+] 5 users Like ohio_drg's post
07-03-2016, 01:02 PM
(07-03-2016 11:28 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Make him disappear Drinking Beverage

I know it's a serious situation, but I couldn't help thinking this exact thing. I just can't stand abusers. The world is better off without this scum.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
07-03-2016, 01:09 PM
(07-03-2016 01:02 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  

I know it's a serious situation, but I couldn't help thinking this exact thing. I just can't stand abusers. The world is better off without this scum.

And it gets even more aggravating when the best advice that can realistically be offered without breaking the law is for the victim to spend her life tiptoeing around him while he goes on with his own life in complete freedom, likely to eventually find someone else with whom to continue the tradition. Sorry for not being the hide and/or "turn the other cheek" type of person, but fuck that.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
07-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Easily done with a trip to the hardwa... well, I've said too much.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
07-03-2016, 04:14 PM
I know of a few women on this forum who have gone through a very similar ordeal; hopefully they'll be able to give you some useful advice on how to help your friend.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
07-03-2016, 04:47 PM

That is against the law. I would never, could never do anything like that. At all. I am too honest and law-abiding to ever consider something like that.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
07-03-2016, 04:49 PM
(07-03-2016 10:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 10:40 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Gotcha... I am not sure she would be comfortable doing that anywhere he might find it.

Write it for her.

Rolleyes

Already in progress...

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes TurkeyBurner's post
07-03-2016, 05:16 PM
(07-03-2016 04:47 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  

That is against the law. I would never, could never do anything like that. At all. I am too honest and law-abiding to ever consider something like that.

If I were to say the exact same thing, my friends would have to pause for a moment and consider whether or not I were being sarcastic Big Grin

But really, I hope it all works out. I'm just bitter at the law's inability to give more than a weak threat in situations like this until after something serious has already happened.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
07-03-2016, 05:20 PM
(07-03-2016 05:16 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(07-03-2016 04:47 PM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  That is against the law. I would never, could never do anything like that. At all. I am too honest and law-abiding to ever consider something like that.

If I were to say the exact same thing, my friends would have to pause for a moment and consider whether or not I were being sarcastic Big Grin

But really, I hope it all works out. I'm just bitter at the law's inability to give more than a weak threat in situations like this until after something serious has already happened.

Assholes tend to make lots of enemies. I wouldn't want to implicate myself on a public forum should one of those people share your point of view.

[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post