How to make great animated videos.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2012, 05:07 AM
How to make great animated videos.
Hi guys.

I think Youtube and making videos/internet is huge in educating the world. Hence, the growth of atheism/logic.

Let's be honest, watching a video is a whole hell of a lot better (well, easier) than reading. People who say the book is better than the movie are full of shit. The movie has audio, visuals and is over in 2 hours or less. Anyway, back to the point.

I want to make animated and educational vids with the likes of 'nonstampcollector' 'darkmatter' 'thinkingatheist' etc.

Can someone steer me in the right direction as far as good programs to practice and fuck around with to get this going?

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
03-05-2012, 05:53 AM
RE: How to make great animated videos.
(03-05-2012 05:07 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Hi guys.

I think Youtube and making videos/internet is huge in educating the world. Hence, the growth of atheism/logic.

Let's be honest, watching a video is a whole hell of a lot better (well, easier) than reading. People who say the book is better than the movie are full of shit. The movie has audio, visuals and is over in 2 hours or less. Anyway, back to the point.

I want to make animated and educational vids with the likes of 'nonstampcollector' 'darkmatter' 'thinkingatheist' etc.

Can someone steer me in the right direction as far as good programs to practice and fuck around with to get this going?

If you are near a local community college check out what they have to offer. Software if free to use with the class, you get instructions on how to use, and may inspire you to a new career.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
03-05-2012, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 07:35 AM by PeterKA.)
For Animation I would check out the Reallusion Crazytalk to get started, either that or Anime Studio. Both are pretty basic but easy to understand. Anime studio has a slighty steeper learning curve but gives you more freedom once you have mastered it
For video editing use Magix movie maker. There is nothing else on the market that comes close to it in terms of abitility, price and stability (very important when editing, countless times I have spent hours making videos on other software only to have it crash - not saying this never happens but a lot less often than with Pinnacle studio or equivalents). It also has no problem dealing with using different video formats in your end product (for example editing avi, mpeg, vob, wmv etc into the same project is usually very difficult on most softwares)

@shannow

Not here right now but check out these youtube pages

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyTalkTutorial

http://www.youtube.com/user/contentparadise/videos

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 2 users Like PeterKA's post
03-05-2012, 06:21 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 06:29 AM by Shannow.)
(03-05-2012 05:07 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I want to make animated and educational vids with the likes of 'nonstampcollector' 'darkmatter' 'thinkingatheist' etc.

Awesome! Go for it. I've made 10 videos so far on my topic of choice and have loved every minute of it. I'm no expert, but I can tell you what I've learnt so far...

A word of caution first, the 3 vid-makers you've mentioned are probably 3 of the best on the planet at making videos of this kind. Seth (the thinking atheist) is a professional in the video industry and not only has decades of industry experiance and skill, but also access to industry grade equipment. But if you've got creativity, flair and passion, that's worth more than the best tech in the world. Don't be dissapointed if your first efforts aren't as slick as you expected. Also, don't do it for other people, do it becuase you're passionate about it.

(03-05-2012 05:07 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  Can someone steer me in the right direction as far as good programs to practice and fuck around with to get this going?

Animation is incredibly difficult and diverse, I just do video capture of my desktop and have a hard enough time with that! This is probably the best place to start for free, web based video production software.

I use something called Powerdirector to edit my videos (costed money) and CamStudio (free) for the desktop capture. I'm usure if either of these tools would be any use for animation! The best bit of advice anyone gave me was to never overlook your audio, if your voiceovers or music are crappy and low quality, you don't want to watch the video.

If you're supremely affluent then both Final Cut for Apple users or Adobe Premiere Pro are the top end video editors but cost a fortune...so probably not worth looking at until you know this is going to be something that you want to actively pursue.

Good luck, and please share your efforts here, it's an incredibly supportive and constructive place for getting feedback.

That anime studio thing looks really cool...have you got any examples of it in use Peter?

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 2 users Like Shannow's post
03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Just to echo Shannow's comments, creating actual motion graphics can be extremely expensive and will require quite a bit of schooling. But the good news is that digital video production (and motion graphics for the web) is a huge and expanding field, particularly within the digital marketing field (which is how I make a living).

Therefore, if you do decide to "go all the way" you can actually leverage this skill to make a nice living in addition to helping educate the youth!

For now, I would recommend the following:
http://www.xtranormal.com - it's one of the coolest yet least known solutions out there and was used to create this video:
http://youtu.be/5YVgtOHUUMI. You can basically pick your backgrounds and characters and then right the dialogue script (with either your own voice-overs or their own computer-generated voice-overs)

Microsoft Powerpoint or Google Docs "Presentations" - They're basically the same thing and allow you to what amounts to a slide show with some basic animation qualities. It can be quite effective if you use a bit of creativity. You'll need a good screen-capture and/or video editing software program to take the slide show and turn it into a YouTube-friendly format (I recommend Camtasia but there are other similar options that are a bit cheaper than $299. There's also Windows Movie Maker, which is often bundled in most PC/laptops).

I use this fairly primitive method for my own videos .

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post
03-05-2012, 10:26 AM
(03-05-2012 08:34 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  I use this fairly primitive method for my own videos .

Nice - I've subscribed Smile

"Christianity is like a diet where you eat lots of chocolate cake all week, and then on Sunday you mentally scold yourself and "try again" only to repeat the cycle." - Buddy Christ
[+] 1 user Likes Shannow's post
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
(03-05-2012 10:26 AM)Shannow Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 08:34 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  I use this fairly primitive method for my own videos .

Nice - I've subscribed Smile
Thank you so much! I just started doing this a few weeks ago but it's quickly become my favorite hobby, right next to making music on my guitar and playing pickup soccer.

It's painfully obvious that I'm an amateur but I plan on improving over time.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Do it! I've started playing with stopmotion videos and it is soooo much fun. I've been thinking of doing a couple for TTA (forums) but my camera broke and is in the shop just before I got the chance. Can't wait to keep going. So fun to play around and see the character you create come to life.

If it were me, I'd just start playing with some primitive easy to use/access programs to get a feel of the basics and then go from there. Would be a good starting point and like any other art you can't be on top you just grow from where you start. I like Thomas's idea of starting out with a class or workshop.
03-11-2013, 10:29 AM
I have been playing around with photo manipulation and have discovered some FREE, powerful software programs for all your animation needs!
1) Gimp.org -like photoshop-there is a GAP(Gimp Animation Package) plug in you can add for animation as well as the photo manipulation features.Popular with photographers for post production work and repairing old photos.
2) Blender.org-3d modelling/animation/game machine
3) My Paint-A lot of Gimp users rate this highly.
4) Inkscape- An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara
4)Audacity-for adding sound /converting to mp3
All these programs are made to work together.
I mostly know about Gimp. I recommend the sites "Gimp Chat" or "Gimp Users". They are chock full of advice, the latest plug ins, tutorials, etc.
I am rather new at Blender. When you are looking for Blender tutorials a lot of them want to charge for them. Don't fall for it. There are plenty of free tutorials out there. I found "Blender: from beginner to pro" to be a good place to start.Plenty of beginner tutorials on You Tube.
Have fun!
[+] 1 user Likes Shoebutton's post
04-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Have a look at his animation video and tell me if this is the kind of animation you would like. I yes , then I will point you in the right direction.
http://youtu.be/8f70wZ-mLR8