How to make the gym fun?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 06:09 AM
How to make the gym fun?
I am signing up to the gym next week.
I have been in gyms before and although I do like to move and do sports, the gym has never been fun. It actually becomes super boring to me because it is always the same boring stuff you do.

So I need tips this time to make it more fun.
The gym is right across the street from work so I can go during lunch time and work out for 30-40 minutes (my break it 1 hr).
They have a boxing class once a week and I want to go there and maybe (big maybe) also one other evening per week.

So yea there is lots of gym time to be made fun.
Gimme ideas? Huh

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-06-2016, 06:11 AM
RE: How to make the gym fun?
Work out together with a friend. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
14-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Inspiring tunes cranked up loud.....

(on headphones in this case)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-06-2016, 06:29 AM
Confetti, strobe lights, fog machines
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Gym Diary.

Day One: Received orders to prepare to be dropped into [redacted] to assist [redacted] to [redacted]. This requires me to gain/hone a specific set of skills. They have set up a training course for me to use to accomplish this. I have one year to train in order to be able to survive three days in [redacted]. We'll see if I'm ready on time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Go at the same time every day so that you can make friends.

I tend to read or watch TV while I'm on the cardio equipment.

Set some kind of a frequency target, like going four times a week, and a reward for achieving that target for five or six weeks in a row. You'll be happy at the beginning thinking about the reward, and then by the time you give yourself the reward, you'll have set the gym habit and enjoy going. (I think, but I'm speaking as somebody who likes gyms)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
14-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Tie it in with another goal. Getting in shape just for the sake of getting in shape gets old quick. Every exercise I do has a hypothetical advantage that it will give me in real world applications, from my role as a military mountaineer to my interest in martial arts, whether working on my quad endurance to make uphill ruck marches easier or developing fast twitch muscle fibers to speed up my reflexes and striking power.

Find something or some things that you enjoy doing that are physical in nature and let working out be a tool for strengthening your ability to do those things.

'Murican Canadian
14-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Podcasts.

Works for me on long runs.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
14-06-2016, 08:09 AM
Going with a friend, motivating workout playlist, mixing up your workouts, finding a workout you enjoy, getting yourself a small gift at the end of the week, or a month, something to help keep you motivated.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Wow thanks for so many replies. Keep them coming.

I have two friends, who I work with and who are signed up to the same gym and both want to go together. But it is intimidating to me because both are much fitter than I am. So while I might only be able to walk fast or do things slow and short (because of mainly my weight and the me not being fit apart from the cycling), they can power through.

So far I love the hypothetical goals that yakherder mentioned Smile I want a very hypothetical goal. I am a complete zombie movie fan. How about I get fit for the zombie apocalypse:
* Able to run for 20 minutes without break
* Able to sprint for 5 minutes without break
* Able to lift my own weight with my arms (assuming I'd have to climb places)
* Lose weight to get a grip on my asthma again (inhalers running out during the apocalypse)
Sounds fun Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post