How to monitize religious fervor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 07:30 AM
With the collective brain power on this Forum along with a touch of cynicism and entrepreneurial spirit it should be a no brainer that we could cook up a money making scheme to “provide a product or service” to the mass of believers. Yes

There are so many examples to choose from but one that caught my eye hit the news today

Holy Water for Pilgrims, via the Mail
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/world/...witw2&_r=0

"Every summer, hundreds of thousands of Indians, barefoot and draped in orange clothing, make a 100-mile pilgrimage on foot to fetch water from the sacred Ganges River that they then offer at their local temples to Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction.

This year, they have a less arduous option: The postal service is using its 155,000 offices across India to deliver holy water from the Ganges — for far less than $1 a bottle. As one postal official put it, “If Muhammad cannot go to the mountain, the mountain comes to him.”

[Image: 00wit_india-ganga-master768.gif]

Instead of spending shitloads of money say, building a giant, non-seaworthy boat or spending 100 miilion on producing and filming some quasi-religious movie that flops at the box office we could bottle “holy” water and mail it around the country. And if not water then “holy” dirt. How about statues of St. Joseph, patron saint of real estate sales...

Fuck, I see the Catholic Church beat me to that one Angry
http://www.discountcatholicproducts.com/...gQodIDULUA

St. Joseph Home Sale Kit Facepalm
[Image: SJHome01.jpg]

Whatever the product is, it must be cheap to collect (forget making it), and can be done by any one of us where ever we live.

Ideas?

Motto: ”If you can’t beat ‘em, fleece ‘em.” Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-08-2016, 07:57 AM
RE: How to monitize religious fervor
Our target demographic should be people without internet access. That way they will take longer to catch on to our scheme.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
26-08-2016, 08:55 AM
At a time when I was a lot more cynical than I am now, I bought a book titled "The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols", by Adele Nozedar. One, it's good for a derisive laugh at people's credulity. Two, I had planned on making and selling some of the talismans and icons. I haven't quite gotten to that point, though, mainly because it might catch on, and I want to enjoy my retirement. It would be amusing to sell items made by an atheist to credulous numpties. Evil_monster
26-08-2016, 11:40 AM
(26-08-2016 08:55 AM)Fireball Wrote:  At a time when I was a lot more cynical than I am now, I bought a book titled "The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols", by Adele Nozedar. One, it's good for a derisive laugh at people's credulity. Two, I had planned on making and selling some of the talismans and icons. I haven't quite gotten to that point, though, mainly because it might catch on, and I want to enjoy my retirement. It would be amusing to sell items made by an atheist to credulous numpties. Evil_monster

Let's do it!

We'll incorporate as The Holy Talisman, LLC. What are we selling? Cheezus bread? Three rocks glued to a board depicting Jeebus and the two other dudes (abstract religious art), dirt from inside the tomb? How about horseshit packed in small vials taken from the last dump Mohammed's horse took before flying off to see his 72 Virginians? Big Grin

The possibilities are endless.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-08-2016, 12:06 PM
There's always the mecca journey, but when is someone gonna capitalize on bringing Mecca to You!

Vr may just do it... also a Vr Western Wall so the Jewish contingent that wants can wail at a wall in glorious holy vr

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
26-08-2016, 04:58 PM
(26-08-2016 12:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There's always the mecca journey, but when is someone gonna capitalize on bringing Mecca to You!

Vr may just do it... also a Vr Western Wall so the Jewish contingent that wants can wail at a wall in glorious holy vr

Help me out, what is Vr?

26-08-2016, 05:41 PM
(26-08-2016 04:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-08-2016 12:06 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There's always the mecca journey, but when is someone gonna capitalize on bringing Mecca to You!

Help me out, what is Vr?

Virtual reality, I'd guess.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-08-2016, 05:55 PM
(26-08-2016 07:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  With the collective brain power on this Forum along with a touch of cynicism and entrepreneurial spirit it should be a no brainer that we could cook up a money making scheme to “provide a product or service” to the mass of believers. Yes

There are so many examples to choose from but one that caught my eye hit the news today

Holy Water for Pilgrims, via the Mail
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/26/world/...witw2&_r=0

"Every summer, hundreds of thousands of Indians, barefoot and draped in orange clothing, make a 100-mile pilgrimage on foot to fetch water from the sacred Ganges River that they then offer at their local temples to Shiva, the Hindu god of destruction.

This year, they have a less arduous option: The postal service is using its 155,000 offices across India to deliver holy water from the Ganges — for far less than $1 a bottle. As one postal official put it, “If Muhammad cannot go to the mountain, the mountain comes to him.”

[Image: 00wit_india-ganga-master768.gif]

Instead of spending shitloads of money say, building a giant, non-seaworthy boat or spending 100 miilion on producing and filming some quasi-religious movie that flops at the box office we could bottle “holy” water and mail it around the country. And if not water then “holy” dirt. How about statues of St. Joseph, patron saint of real estate sales...

Fuck, I see the Catholic Church beat me to that one Angry
http://www.discountcatholicproducts.com/...gQodIDULUA

St. Joseph Home Sale Kit Facepalm
[Image: SJHome01.jpg]

Whatever the product is, it must be cheap to collect (forget making it), and can be done by any one of us where ever we live.

Ideas?

Motto: ”If you can’t beat ‘em, fleece ‘em.” Wink

I've been wanting for a time to make a UFO detector. It could be transparent plastic with a circuit board visible on the interior and flashing lights and a bell that is guaranteed to ring if a UFO gets within half a kilometer. It would have a button to test it and a charger so if one tested it too many times it could be recharged. Sell it on eBay for $19.95. Should be able to build them for a few cents, right?
26-08-2016, 06:06 PM
30 years ago or so when the lottery first came to Florida I put in a telephone line of the then 900 numbers where a person would call it and be charged by the minute for the call. I was in bed after a serious operation and could not work on construction. For $2.99 per minute I would help them to pick lottery numbers according to the input they gave me. I learned to drag it out for 6 or 7 minutes. SIx weeks later i got back to my real job of laying blocks, but I did make a few bucks in the mean time.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
26-08-2016, 06:19 PM
There was a NEW AGE thing for awhile about wearing copper. Get a tubing cutter and sell copper rings made of copper plumbing pipe. Sell it in 3 sizes of small medium and large Sell string with it to hang it around the neck. I could sit down and write ad copy for it: "I don't know just exactly when I stopped wearing copper. I've always known it was needed for my spiritual well being and to keep the chakras open. But somehow I just lost the habit, then I lost my job, then my boyfriend and last of all I was just about to lose my house. Then a friend reminded me about wearing copper. So I got a hold of 3 copper rings and put them on. I found a better job than the old one the very next day and am making enough that I will not lose my house. And just last night I met the greatest guy, So let's remember what we've always known and wear copper. Three rings of small medium and large for just $6.99 plus shipping and postage of $4.22. PayPal or credit cards welcome.
[+] 2 users Like Born Again Pagan's post