How to monitize religious fervor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2016, 06:55 PM
RE: How to monitize religious fervor
(26-08-2016 11:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(26-08-2016 08:55 AM)Fireball Wrote:  At a time when I was a lot more cynical than I am now, I bought a book titled "The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols", by Adele Nozedar. One, it's good for a derisive laugh at people's credulity. Two, I had planned on making and selling some of the talismans and icons. I haven't quite gotten to that point, though, mainly because it might catch on, and I want to enjoy my retirement. It would be amusing to sell items made by an atheist to credulous numpties. Evil_monster

Let's do it!

We'll incorporate as The Holy Talisman, LLC. What are we selling? Cheezus bread? Three rocks glued to a board depicting Jeebus and the two other dudes (abstract religious art), dirt from inside the tomb? How about horseshit packed in small vials taken from the last dump Mohammed's horse took before flying off to see his 72 Virginians? Big Grin

The possibilities are endless.

That's funny! I'll come back with some examples from the book, later.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2016, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 07:25 PM by Fireball.)
(26-08-2016 06:19 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  There was a NEW AGE thing for awhile about wearing copper. Get a tubing cutter and sell copper rings made of copper plumbing pipe. Sell it in 3 sizes of small medium and large Sell string with it to hang it around the neck. I could sit down and write ad copy for it: "I don't know just exactly when I stopped wearing copper. I've always known it was needed for my spiritual well being and to keep the chakras open. But somehow I just lost the habit, then I lost my job, then my boyfriend and last of all I was just about to lose my house. Then a friend reminded me about wearing copper. So I got a hold of 3 copper rings and put them on. I found a better job than the old one the very next day and am making enough that I will not lose my house. And just last night I met the greatest guy, So let's remember what we've always known and wear copper. Three rings of small medium and large for just $6.99 plus shipping and postage of $4.22. PayPal or credit cards welcome.

This one could actually have some legs. I have the tools for cutting the pipe, and am currently working on a tumbler to make rounded wooden beads. I could tumble the pipe after cutting it to shape in that tumbler, too, to soften the edges. I'd be almost embarrassed to take money from people for it, though. Almost. Laugh out load I could make about 450 rings from a single 3/4" pipe 10' long. That's a pretty good profit, but a lot of labor.

Some math- say it takes about a 1/2 minute to make a ring. That's 120 per hour, figure 4 hours to cut up the whole pipe. You net 450 (really more like 480, but I'll fudge it for now, there would be some waste). The cost of 1/2", 3/4" and 1" pipe is essentially same for this purpose. I can fine tune that later. Into the tumbler, essentially labor free but consumes time and a little electricity. You can cut more rings while that batch tumbles. 120 per hour yields 40 sets at 6.99 per set. That's ~$280 per hour. I think that is probably acceptable. You'd have to deduct the time it takes to package them and take them to the post office. The shipping and handling cost covers that. Then you need to advertise. I don't have a handle on that cost, but you need to have really good ad presence to get the ball rolling.

I have a useful wood product I sell that makes me $80 per hour. I have yet to build the network for selling them state- or even nation-wide, but locally they do well.
26-08-2016, 07:46 PM
(26-08-2016 06:19 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  There was a NEW AGE thing for awhile about wearing copper. Get a tubing cutter and sell copper rings made of copper plumbing pipe. Sell it in 3 sizes of small medium and large Sell string with it to hang it around the neck. I could sit down and write ad copy for it: "I don't know just exactly when I stopped wearing copper. I've always known it was needed for my spiritual well being and to keep the chakras open. But somehow I just lost the habit, then I lost my job, then my boyfriend and last of all I was just about to lose my house. Then a friend reminded me about wearing copper. So I got a hold of 3 copper rings and put them on. I found a better job than the old one the very next day and am making enough that I will not lose my house. And just last night I met the greatest guy, So let's remember what we've always known and wear copper. Three rings of small medium and large for just $6.99 plus shipping and postage of $4.22. PayPal or credit cards welcome.

It’s all in how you pitch it. I’ve done cold calling in my time for both maintenace agreements on appliances and trying to get a homewoner to list their house me. We’d have these rah rah ree sessions on how to read from a script. I have to admit I never liked it.

You know, I just might not have what it takes to do this unlike the Catholic Church or those guys selling Ganges water in bottles. I’d make a lousy huckster. Weeping

I’m just going to have to make my money some other way.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
28-08-2016, 11:17 PM
(26-08-2016 05:55 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I've been wanting for a time to make a UFO detector.

You could make a functional "supernatural meter" (name needs work, I know) for pretty cheap. Attach an Arduino or Raspberry Pi to a bunch of sensors that measure c, G, and any other universal constants you can easily measure. Throw in local magnetic field and temperature for something that will actually change. It would never detect anything, other than some magnetite, but it's hardly your fault the universal constants don't vary. Should work for UFOs, ghosts, demons and most other bunk.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
29-08-2016, 12:10 AM
I can see I don't have to pretend I'm holier-than-thou here. I have to admit, I wouldn't mind ripping off some kinds of people. But you'd have to be a pretty good judge of character to figure out who you're ok doing that kind of thing to.Angel
01-09-2016, 05:56 AM
I've thought about taking dried cleaned chicken wishbones to a pastor and getting them individually blessed, perhaps providing proof of blessing as a short video with each wishbone uniquely marked, then seeing what they'd fetch on eBay. I could offer to pay the pastor by letting him keep some of them for himself - after all, their potential value once blessed is incalculable - there's no limit to how powerful a wish could come true. Of course that's true without wishbones, blessed or not, but there's no need to mention that. Tongue
01-09-2016, 06:38 AM
(26-08-2016 07:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Whatever the product is, it must be cheap to collect (forget making it), and can be done by any one of us where ever we live.

Ideas?

Motto: ”If you can’t beat ‘em, fleece ‘em.” Wink

How about bottled water, with a piece of asparagus in it, to be sold at Whole Foods for 6$?

http://www.eater.com/2015/8/3/9090797/wh...-water-wtf

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
01-09-2016, 07:00 AM
The quality of water differs worldwide.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-09-2016, 07:04 AM
There's always ...

http://aftertherapturepetcare.com/

People pay you money in advance to look after their pets after the rapture. We're all atheists so they'll know we won't be raptured.

Or print off certificates selling a part of your soul.

The one I've wanted to do was homoeopathy. You can easily undercut any of the current manufacturers by selling sugar water. Don't even bother adding in any of the original ingredients just to dilute it out again. Don't worry about being sued. List the ingredients as sugar and water so it's not like you're lying to the consumer (much). After all, both you and the homoeopathy manufacturers are still selling the same substance. So even if someone takes you to court you can still defend yourself. The onus would be on them to prove that shaking and diluting actually achieved anything.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
05-09-2016, 12:56 PM
(01-09-2016 07:00 AM)Banjo Wrote:  The quality of water differs worldwide.

Banjo,

Ganges water would be low on my tasting list. Dodgy

D.