How to overcome stupidity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2016, 04:52 AM
RE: How to overcome stupidity?
Different people are gonna have different things that they're good at. Is there anything that you really enjoy doing?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
21-04-2016, 05:05 AM
(21-04-2016 12:53 AM)Tampitump Wrote:  I get shown all the time just how stupid I am. I am the one who wants to be the "intellectual type". The person who is well-versed on all the issues. The person who has an irrefutable argument on tap for anything the average person wants to throw at him on any given topic. The reality is, I don't even achieve this on ANY of my day to day encounters. The most marginally (or even less-than-smart) people school me all the time.

You appear to be your own worst enemy. Your writing style completely belies your claims of stupidity; the problem appears to be more one of arrogance. Somebody with basic intelligence and a willingness to learn from ANY source is much better off than the know-it-all with the 'irrefutable' argument who isn't willing to engage but just wants to dominate.

(21-04-2016 01:16 AM)Tampitump Wrote:  Never mind, none of you get what I'm saying at all.

Fuck you too. It took me a long time to get comfortable with the idea that I don't know everything and need to listen as well as talk. Nobody is good at every kind of mental task or an expert in every subject. Focus on what interests you and don't pretend to know more than you do and get over yourself already.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
21-04-2016, 05:33 AM
(21-04-2016 01:16 AM)Tampitump Wrote:  Never mind, none of you get what I'm saying at all.

Your stupidity may have something to do with it. It's not easy to understand idiots after all.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
21-04-2016, 07:16 AM
(20-04-2016 11:36 PM)Tampitump Wrote:  Since this is my first post to this forum, hello to all.

I'm very bummed out about life in general. The main reason for this is the fact that, despite how desperately I try, I'm just not a smart person. In fact, I'm a very stupid person. I literally amaze myself with how utterly stupid I am. I try to exercise my thinking abilities and I get absolutely nowhere. Sometime I think I'm making progress only for it to be revealed that I haven't. People I typically envision as being unintelligent often one-up me in colloquial discussion and prove that I am just a sloppy and inept thinker.

I cannot do mathematics to save my fucking life. I am currently going back to college after failing out four years ago and I cannot even do basic algebra. I have dedicated hours on end trying to understand it to absolutely no avail. I am one-hundred-thousand percent convinced that I will never be able to attain the level of intelligence that I want to. In fact, I believe that I am well below average intelligence. My high school and college grades, along with my experience in daily life proves this. I've done all I know to do. I'm just an inherently stupid person. I am also convinced at this point that stupidity is not something one can overcome. I believe it is an indefinite trait of an individual's character.

I am not joking with this post. I am honestly contemplating suicide at this moment. I keep several loaded guns in my room. I am disgusted with myself and the fact that I seem to be an intellectual dud. Even the most air-headed people can make me look foolish. I wish so strongly to be an intelligent person but I can never seem to attain this dream. I am stuck with the natural consequences of an inferior mind. I feel that my genetics should not be allowed to pass on. I just feel like putting an end to my life. I understand that knowledge can be attained, but knowledge is not equivalent to intelligence and the ability to think critically. I just do not have the ability to analyze things for myself. Every position I hold has to come from other individuals who have done the thinking for me. When put on the spot, I cannot defend myself. I am the pure example of an imbecile. I hate myself. I just want to die.

Your writing shows a level of intelligence that exceeds your perception. Yes

I'd suggest getting some cognitive therapy to change your view and perception of self.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-04-2016, 07:21 AM
I agree with everyone about your writing. I do well in classes, but you're much more articulate than I am. You're probably more intelligent than you think you are.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
21-04-2016, 07:27 AM
(21-04-2016 07:21 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I agree with everyone about your writing. I do well in classes, but you're much more articulate than I. You're probably more intelligent than you think.

Fixed.

And proven. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2016, 07:27 AM
(20-04-2016 11:36 PM)Tampitump Wrote:  Since this is my first post to this forum, hello to all.

I'm very bummed out about life in general. The main reason for this is the fact that, despite how desperately I try, I'm just not a smart person. In fact, I'm a very stupid person. I literally amaze myself with how utterly stupid I am. I try to exercise my thinking abilities and I get absolutely nowhere. Sometime I think I'm making progress only for it to be revealed that I haven't. People I typically envision as being unintelligent often one-up me in colloquial discussion and prove that I am just a sloppy and inept thinker.

I cannot do mathematics to save my fucking life. I am currently going back to college after failing out four years ago and I cannot even do basic algebra. I have dedicated hours on end trying to understand it to absolutely no avail. I am one-hundred-thousand percent convinced that I will never be able to attain the level of intelligence that I want to. In fact, I believe that I am well below average intelligence. My high school and college grades, along with my experience in daily life proves this. I've done all I know to do. I'm just an inherently stupid person. I am also convinced at this point that stupidity is not something one can overcome. I believe it is an indefinite trait of an individual's character.

I am not joking with this post. I am honestly contemplating suicide at this moment. I keep several loaded guns in my room. I am disgusted with myself and the fact that I seem to be an intellectual dud. Even the most air-headed people can make me look foolish. I wish so strongly to be an intelligent person but I can never seem to attain this dream. I am stuck with the natural consequences of an inferior mind. I feel that my genetics should not be allowed to pass on. I just feel like putting an end to my life. I understand that knowledge can be attained, but knowledge is not equivalent to intelligence and the ability to think critically. I just do not have the ability to analyze things for myself. Every position I hold has to come from other individuals who have done the thinking for me. When put on the spot, I cannot defend myself. I am the pure example of an imbecile. I hate myself. I just want to die.

FWIW you express yourself very well in words, your post is coherent and on point. You should be a writer, not everyone has a gift for math.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-04-2016, 07:29 AM
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." (The Philosophy of Beer Koozeis, page 9.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
21-04-2016, 07:31 AM
(21-04-2016 07:29 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." (The Philosophy of Beer Koozeis, page 9.)

There's a guy named Beer???

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2016, 07:31 AM
(21-04-2016 07:27 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-04-2016 07:21 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I agree with everyone about your writing. I do well in classes, but you're much more articulate than I. You're probably more intelligent than you think.

Fixed.

And proven. Smile

Thanks XD