How to persuade a Christian to Become Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2011, 01:04 PM

RE: How to persuade a Christian to Become Atheist
(28-04-2011 02:07 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I don't like persuading Christians too atheism. Like an Christian Missionary going to pagan lands and trying too convert. I try to poke holes into their dam and see what happens. Will they let the water in and think or would they just reinforce the dam.

Three words. For the Win.

Christians ( real ) can't be turned. It's a pointless argument. They will never be wrong. You will never be right. You could throw an encyclopedia of facts in their face, and they will come up with something. And if they can't? They always use the NUMERO UNO cop out by all Christians.

FREE WILL.

I hate the free will argument. It makes me want to have the free will to throw up on their shoe while they are talking.
Quote this message in a reply
30-04-2011, 01:12 PM
I'd say getting them to read the Bible (all of it, without the "interpretation" of their Preist/Minister/whatever) would be a huge first step to making Christians question their beliefs. I'm not kidding. When I read it a few years ago the whole time I was left scratching my head in the WTF? mode and wondering how ANYONE could ever believe such a bunch of obvious nonsense could be "the truth".

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2011, 11:32 PM
The best book in existence to show to a christian, is '50 reasons people give for believing in a god' by Guy P. Harrison. The way he presents things is calm, reasonable and not vitriolic in the slightest. It goes through the most common 50 reasons why a believer will believe, and it discusses them and calmly pokes holes in them and actually gets them to question the validity of the argument, and their belief.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
03-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Now I know where some of my friends got their strategies from. Tongue

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:" Peter 3:15

http://www.answersforhope.org
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2011, 12:34 AM
(29-04-2011 05:44 AM)nontheocrat Wrote:  From my experience the most effective campaign to spread atheism would be one that encourages Christians to get to know the Bible better.

This is what turned me.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens
09-05-2011, 08:20 AM
On the atheist to Christian article, they get minus respective for this little gem:

Quote:Has your friend always felt that there is no [caring] creator? Or, has something happened in their life or have the experience the hypocrisy of some religious leaders or in historical events such as disgust with the Crusades and Inquisitions? Whatever is the reason, you need to get the core of it, reach their core beliefs, heart of any problem.

Most atheists, the ones who actually research their position, don't deconvert suddenly based on emotional reasons like the suffering in the world or that Christian guy is a jerk. And even if that is what sparked them to turn away from religion and investigate it objectively, their entire belief structure wouldn't be based on a bad sermon.

And then their arguments are just a huge load of fail. Bur before I dive into them, let's look at this little tip they said just a little bit before they started on these.
Quote:Before you try to argue against scientific theories, such as evolution and the "Big Bang," learn more about them and not just from religious view points.
Which is a good idea. Educate yourself on a topic before you claim to know a topic. Let's watch how they put it into practice.
Quote:The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy (or disorder) of the entire universe (a system comprising of ALL matter) must increase with time. If the universe had always existed, then entropy of the entire universe would have already reached infinity with infinite time, and nothing would exist. Since you and I and everything we see have some order or structure, they are not at infinite entropy. Therefore, matter had not always been in existence, and there must have been a transition in time from no matter in the universe to existence of matter, which then start to accumulate entropy as a whole. The transition from nonexistence to existence is creation.
...If all life came into existence through the big bang -- where did the big bang come from (no where???).
And I'd do a bit on evolution and abiogensis, but it'd just be too long. As an atheist, I've heard all the arguments put forth by the article, and they are old, tired, stale, and give me a head ache just thinking about how to correct all the misinformation in them. But then again, since I'm an atheist, I've obviously never heard any argument that's convinced me there is a god. I'm not holding my breath for one either.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
10-05-2011, 12:12 AM
(28-04-2011 02:07 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  I don't like persuading Christians too atheism. Like an Christian Missionary going to pagan lands and trying too convert. I try to poke holes into their dam and see what happens. Will they let the water in and think or would they just reinforce the dam.

Lol, as a Christian I like to see it more as you're helping me find the holes in my dam so I can repair them and hopefully vis-versa.
[+] 1 user Likes BlackEyedGhost's post
10-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Since my wife and family are still Christians, I've been debating this topic in my head for a long time. The promise of something better seems to be the most difficult idea to overcome...people simply prefer to think that God answers prayers and they will see their loved ones when they die.
10-05-2011, 07:54 PM
(10-05-2011 07:22 PM)Strobelite Wrote:  Since my wife and family are still Christians, I've been debating this topic in my head for a long time. The promise of something better seems to be the most difficult idea to overcome...people simply prefer to think that God answers prayers and they will see their loved ones when they die.

I can't comprehend someone "preferring to think" such a thing when they know there is no good reason to, otherwise if they did have reason then they wouldn't need to choose to think such a way. I've heard Christians all my life praise honesty and truth, but blind faith and "preferring to think" with no good reason seems inherently dishonest to me.

If atheists do get eternally punished as Christians believe, then it looks to me as though they are being tortured for being more honest than the ones who are supposedly saved.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
(10-05-2011 07:54 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  
(10-05-2011 07:22 PM)Strobelite Wrote:  Since my wife and family are still Christians, I've been debating this topic in my head for a long time. The promise of something better seems to be the most difficult idea to overcome...people simply prefer to think that God answers prayers and they will see their loved ones when they die.

I can't comprehend someone "preferring to think" such a thing when they know there is no good reason to, otherwise if they did have reason then they wouldn't need to choose to think such a way. I've heard Christians all my life praise honesty and truth, but blind faith and "preferring to think" with no good reason seems inherently dishonest to me.

If atheists do get eternally punished as Christians believe, then it looks to me as though they are being tortured for being more honest than the ones who are supposedly saved.

There's also the fear of 'What if you're wrong?'.