How to persuade a Christian to Become Atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
RE: How to persuade a Christian to Become Atheist
(10-05-2011 07:59 PM)Strobelite Wrote:  There's also the fear of 'What if you're wrong?'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClejS8vWjo

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Efrx86's post
11-05-2011, 07:22 AM
(10-05-2011 08:15 PM)Efrx86 Wrote:  
(10-05-2011 07:59 PM)Strobelite Wrote:  There's also the fear of 'What if you're wrong?'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClejS8vWjo

Never seen this guy before. Really like what he has to say.
12-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for posting that link, I've never seen those vids before. Now I'm subbed. I also posted it to my FB page for those religious folks I know who are prone to asking atheists "what if you're wrong?", the fence-sitters who are fearful of the possibility they may be wrong, and the atheists who get annoyed by absurdity of it.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
12-05-2011, 02:46 PM

I've tried it it's like punching a sponge
Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2011, 07:52 PM
(10-05-2011 07:59 PM)Strobelite Wrote:  
(10-05-2011 07:54 PM)nontheocrat Wrote:  
(10-05-2011 07:22 PM)Strobelite Wrote:  Since my wife and family are still Christians, I've been debating this topic in my head for a long time. The promise of something better seems to be the most difficult idea to overcome...people simply prefer to think that God answers prayers and they will see their loved ones when they die.

I can't comprehend someone "preferring to think" such a thing when they know there is no good reason to, otherwise if they did have reason then they wouldn't need to choose to think such a way. I've heard Christians all my life praise honesty and truth, but blind faith and "preferring to think" with no good reason seems inherently dishonest to me.

If atheists do get eternally punished as Christians believe, then it looks to me as though they are being tortured for being more honest than the ones who are supposedly saved.

There's also the fear of 'What if you're wrong?'.

I wondered how long I would be on this board before Pascal's Wager would show it's ugly face! LOL!

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2011, 03:33 AM
if you are intrigued by the following crazy talk and would like to know more feel free to private message me and ask me about wtf is wrong with me and how it helped me potentially change someones life.

i would prefer not to share all the details on the forum because it is rather personal, somewhat embarrassing information

i think i just did it!

it will take some time but he admitted doubt after 90 minutes or more and i custom picked the perfect video from the tta youtube channel to set him free in the wild after that.

he was listening!

one day he will be enlightened. i have never typed so much, so fast in my entire life but i was able to counter every single argument he made over and over again and even put new arguments on the table that he may not have known before.

i have never felt such... i dunno what i feel but it feels good

this will sound crazy and stupid but i am sure one of the key elements of my argument that really tilted the scale was comparing myself to jesus in multiple ways.
i did not just compare myself to jesus, i subliminally inserted the idea in his head by telling the story of myself in a way that greatly compares to the story of jesus. i also owned up to the fact that: yes what i am saying sounds a lot like the story of jesus.

what i learned is this:
if you can get the person you are talking to, to compare you to the man they follow and not label you as a complete lunatic, they will listen! also, you need the person to admit doubt without bringing the subject up directly.

the words that came from my fingertips were powerful, very powerful. he may not have agreed with me but that guy could see that i was trying to save him in the exact same way that he thought he was already saved

whatever i did tonight, i hope i can reproduce it another time. i wish i could describe what i said but i do not think it is possible without the fire being fanned in the heat of the moment.

i'm sure what i did tonight is not possible by most people, i am in fact batshit crazy, but that mental problem was the main contributer to my story being accepted in the first place. it's very ugly and complicated but it's fucking beautiful at the same time.

maybe i'm totally wrong and all of this is an illusion in my head. i guess i'll have to check up on him in a couple of years

even the smartest man in the world is an idiot