22-09-2016, 06:27 PM
RE: How to pumpkin pie
Fucking Christ, I hate pumpkin pie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2016, 06:42 PM
(22-09-2016 04:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 03:26 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Buy One-Pie canned pumpkin and use the recipe on the side of the can except also add a small amount of honey and Bourbon, about a TBSP of each. Also, over-cook it by like 5-7 minutes.

I would prefer a fresh pumpkin though. I know I know... stupid fresh food always...

My mom always used squash,and the year she used pumpkin we all asked what is the matter with this pie Mom? We grew squash in the garden, but our dad wouldn't let us waste space on pumpkin because he saw n value in Jack-o-lanterns!
22-09-2016, 07:00 PM
I like a spicier, more dessert like pumpkin pie. It's a family favorite and often brought along to fall get togethers by me and now my older daughter.

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (gives the pie a darker color too)
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) Evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell (I use frozen, let it thaw enough so I can bend the lip of the pie pan and shell upward because otherwise it gets too full.
Whipped cream (optional) **I don't find it to be optional. Wink

MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell. **Put the pie pan on a baking pan because it may bubble over a little.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

**I go by the knife technique for doneness. In my oven it often takes an extra 5-10 minutes. I check at the noted time then again in five minutes and give five more if it's needed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
23-09-2016, 05:40 AM
(22-09-2016 06:42 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 04:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  I would prefer a fresh pumpkin though. I know I know... stupid fresh food always...

My mom always used squash,and the year she used pumpkin we all asked what is the matter with this pie Mom? We grew squash in the garden, but our dad wouldn't let us waste space on pumpkin because he saw n value in Jack-o-lanterns!

I forget where exactly I picked this up, some cooking show on TV. But - preparing fresh pumpkin for a pie is apparently difficult because of the texture, and it's too wet. They recommended butternut squash instead. They said it was much less tricky and the spices made it taste exactly the same as pumpkin.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-09-2016, 06:00 AM
(22-09-2016 06:42 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 04:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  I would prefer a fresh pumpkin though. I know I know... stupid fresh food always...

The big pumpkins make inferior pies anyway. Sugar-pie pumpkins for pies. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
23-09-2016, 06:06 AM
How about Pumpkin Roll?

[Image: YW0202H_pumpkin-roll-recipe_s4x3.jpg]

If pasta Alfredo is mac and cheese for grown ups, then pumpkin roll is a Little Debbie snack for grown ups; all fancy and shit.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2016, 06:15 AM
(22-09-2016 05:47 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 05:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  and always add more cinammon, nutmeg, and ginger.
Nutmeg and me are no longer friends. Nutmeg has acted like an asshole in my last pie!

If you abuse nutmeg, it won't be your friend. Angry

Give it another chance. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2016, 06:19 AM
(22-09-2016 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  **I go by the knife technique for doneness.

My grandmother did the same thing, but with toothpicks. Yes

Fuck, I miss grandma... Sadcryface

23-09-2016, 06:28 AM
(23-09-2016 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  **I go by the knife technique for doneness.

My grandmother did the same thing, but with toothpicks. Yes

Toothpicks work well on cakes but a butter knife works better for pumpkin pie.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
23-09-2016, 06:53 AM
(23-09-2016 06:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  My grandmother did the same thing, but with toothpicks. Yes

Toothpicks work well on cakes but a butter knife works better for pumpkin pie.

How so? Now I'm all curious and shit.