Speaking of Pumpkins...

[Image: 2016-09-05.jpg]

Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2016, 07:38 AM
RE: How to pumpkin pie
(23-09-2016 06:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  How about Pumpkin Roll?

[Image: YW0202H_pumpkin-roll-recipe_s4x3.jpg]

If pasta Alfredo is mac and cheese for grown ups, then pumpkin roll is a Little Debbie snack for grown ups; all fancy and shit.

That's an excellent way to describe fettuccine Alfredo! I recently had my first bowl of it, and I now I want try it at every Italian restaurant I go to.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
23-09-2016, 07:53 AM
(23-09-2016 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  **I go by the knife technique for doneness.

My grandmother did the same thing, but with toothpicks. Yes

Fuck, I miss grandma... Sadcryface

I stick a fork in it. Then I eat it. Then I report on doneness. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
23-09-2016, 08:02 AM
(23-09-2016 07:53 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  My grandmother did the same thing, but with toothpicks. Yes

I stick a fork in it. Then I eat it. Then I report on doneness. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 2da4dc91baa3656f6356597617e891f5.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2016, 10:28 AM
(22-09-2016 04:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 03:26 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Buy One-Pie canned pumpkin and use the recipe on the side of the can except also add a small amount of honey and Bourbon, about a TBSP of each. Also, over-cook it by like 5-7 minutes.

I would prefer a fresh pumpkin though. I know I know... stupid fresh food always...

If you use a fresh pumpkin. Then remove all the seeds, bake it in oven until tender. Also make sure the pumpkin you buy is for a pie and not just the kind for decorations. Pie pumpkins are usually smaller, darker orange and feel heavier for their size. Right now, our stores are filled with huge pumpkins that are more for jack-o-lanterns than pie making. They're usually runny and flavorless after cooking.

After you've removed and mashed the flesh, taste it should have a very strong pumpkin flavor. That first taste will determine how much sugar and spices, you'll need to add later on. Personally I've done both, and really prefer the canned.

Canned pumpkin is far easier and predictable to work with. You still need to taste it.

Or just cheat and use sweet potatoes with pumpkin pie spice.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-09-2016, 10:33 AM
(23-09-2016 10:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 04:04 PM)Leela Wrote:  I would prefer a fresh pumpkin though. I know I know... stupid fresh food always...

If you use a fresh pumpkin. Then remove all the seeds, bake it in oven until tender. Also make sure the pumpkin you buy is for a pie and not just the kind for decorations. Pie pumpkins are usually smaller, darker orange and feel heavier for their size. Right now, our stores are filled with huge pumpkins that are more for jack-o-lanterns than pie making. They're usually runny and flavorless after cooking.

After you've removed and mashed the flesh, taste it should have a very strong pumpkin flavor. That first taste will determine how much sugar and spices, you'll need to add later on. Personally I've done both, and really prefer the canned.

Canned pumpkin is far easier and predictable to work with. You still need to taste it.

That's not really cheating - sweet potato pie is a thing. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-09-2016, 10:34 AM
(23-09-2016 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  **I go by the knife technique for doneness.

My grandmother did the same thing, but with toothpicks. Yes

The pumpkin is loose until firmly set after coming out of the oven, that's why the toothpick test, which works great for cakes, fails for pumpkin pie.

When it is done, when you slide the knife, it shouldn't look wet like you just poured it and come back together. It should stay separated -- like you just cut it a knife.

The toothpick will make you over cook the pie, not usually fatal, but just not as good.

Now it's possible that your grandmother just knew what it looked like when it was done - people who bake a lot especially pies, just know. Smile

23-09-2016, 10:37 AM
(23-09-2016 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 10:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If you use a fresh pumpkin. Then remove all the seeds, bake it in oven until tender. Also make sure the pumpkin you buy is for a pie and not just the kind for decorations. Pie pumpkins are usually smaller, darker orange and feel heavier for their size. Right now, our stores are filled with huge pumpkins that are more for jack-o-lanterns than pie making. They're usually runny and flavorless after cooking.

That's not really cheating - sweet potato pie is a thing. Yes

Sure it is, if you're calling it pumpkin pie.

Honestly I don't notice a huge difference in taste when you add the pumpkin spices. We have done sweet potato pie more than once and I still prefer bourbon pecan pie to either.

23-09-2016, 10:40 AM
(23-09-2016 08:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 07:53 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I stick a fork in it. Then I eat it. Then I report on doneness. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 2da4dc91baa3656f6356597617e891f5.jpg]

Forwarded to 53 OCD friends. Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
23-09-2016, 01:22 PM
(23-09-2016 10:34 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 06:19 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  My grandmother did the same thing, but with toothpicks. Yes

The pumpkin is loose until firmly set after coming out of the oven, that's why the toothpick test, which works great for cakes, fails for pumpkin pie.

When it is done, when you slide the knife, it shouldn't look wet like you just poured it and come back together. It should stay separated -- like you just cut it a knife.

The toothpick will make you over cook the pie, not usually fatal, but just not as good.

Now it's possible that your grandmother just knew what it looked like when it was done - people who bake a lot especially pies, just know. Smile

Pumpkin pie is a custard pie and that is very different than cake, so the done-ness test is different.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]