How to raise atheist children?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2014, 07:08 AM
RE: How to raise atheist children?
My girls are 9 & soon to be 11. We have frank discussions, they seem to work better for us. We live in the Bible Belt so the church/god discussion seems to come up frequently.

Our conversations go like this:
We just discuss how some people believe this, others believe that, and other people believe this other stuff. Grandma and grandpa are on the whacko side of this group, but most people that we meet in our day to day lives most likely fall in this area. I think this, dad thinks that, and here's why but the cool part, you get to decide for yourself, and you can change your mind anytime you want and as many times as you want when you learn more and find more evidence.

Sometimes we talk about how in some countries. People are told they have to have certain beliefs because the law says so. We also talk about how in most major religions women aren't valued and treated horribly.

And we discuss the idea of heaven and how that brings some people comfort especially in times of illness and grief and other troubling times.

It comes up often here, because of where we live, and because of the whacko grandparents, and they hear all the bible stories like Noah's ark from their friends.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
17-06-2014, 07:21 AM
I don't have kids, but I support the comments in this thread! Thumbsup good work, parents, good work.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
17-06-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm no parent, but my parents were Christian and I'm atheist. What really made me question my religion was history. I had amazing history teachers, and I'm so glad I did. Learning about all the different cultures of the world was an amazing experience growing up. I would suggest that Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
17-06-2014, 08:00 AM
I also wanted to add that my youngest has started to question the know-it-all neighbor boy. Which is always a good thing.

He is a couple years older than her, and quite confident in his opinions and probably a decent match for her to bounce ideas off of because he can discuss ideas.

The past few months my daughter has been questioning him about heaven and god. He gives her the typical childhood Christian answers and then my daughter begins to tell him how it can't be possible. She is finding (and pointing out) the flaws in his reasoning.

There are no adults In these conversations, she tells me about them usually a day or so afterwards, I assume after she has had time to think it all over. This is her form of experimenting, she is seeking answers to questions from a peer, who is supposed to know, and then understanding when those answers fall short of the mark. My daughter is really good at spotting the 'god of the gaps' argument.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
17-06-2014, 08:21 AM
You are more tolerant than me. I won't allow family members to discuss anything religious with my young one unless she starts asking, but even then they won't be allowed to state anything as fact if they wish to keep her in their life.

Once she begins school in this Bible belt town I won't be able to control the other children. As for family I doubt I have anything to worry about, for the in - laws only claim to be Catholic because they think it sounds good to pretend to be "good Christians", and my side of the family is either Wiccan, Buddhist, agnostic or atheist. It is so diverse she will be forced to question everything before finding her own path. I do worry about kids at school, but anyone would when living in a place called Christian county.

When she starts asking questions we will answer her in a way that forces her to think for herself, and go from there. I get pretty ticked off by some people in this town so she may pick up on my based opinion, but I can't help it. ... I'm sick of Christian propaganda and folks talking Jesus everywhere I go. Can't wait to move North one of these days.

A wise person makes their own decisions; an ignorant one follows public opinion.
18-06-2014, 08:30 AM
I would focus on the things you can prove rather then things you can not. With my daughter I focus on science. I have taught your things about "The Big Bang" as well as evolution. I refuse to tell her anything about God other then what others believe in. Most importantly, I make sure she understands that no matter what she chooses to believe, I will always love and respect her.