How to respond?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2015, 06:06 PM
How to respond?
So a screaming preacher came by and asked "what does Jesus mean to you?" My response was that I didn't think any such person existed. "Read the scriptures," he says. I have, I reply, in their original language. He says they are eyewitness accounts. I say they are not and give dates of completion. I ask for contemporary sources.

He begins preaching to the others there, how I have been blinded. How foolishness is hiding in the guise of wisdom.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. This person genuinely believes and I want him to at least understand where I'm coming from. I don't want these divisions.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
02-12-2015, 06:33 PM
RE: How to respond?
I liked this by Ehrman:

[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
02-12-2015, 06:46 PM
(02-12-2015 06:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  So a screaming preacher came by and asked "what does Jesus mean to you?" My response was that I didn't think any such person existed. "Read the scriptures," he says. I have, I reply, in their original language. He says they are eyewitness accounts. I say they are not and give dates of completion. I ask for contemporary sources.

He begins preaching to the others there, how I have been blinded. How foolishness is hiding in the guise of wisdom.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this. This person genuinely believes and I want him to at least understand where I'm coming from. I don't want these divisions.

I would ask him how I can reliably distinguish what he calls God from something he may merely be imagining. Then I would stipulate that I would only accept a method that was in accordance with the primacy of existence.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
02-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Yeah, tried that. He said that I do really know because bible says so.
02-12-2015, 07:14 PM
(02-12-2015 07:01 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yeah, tried that. He said that I do really know because bible says so.

Don't worry yourself over morons. They are too many. Unworthy of your time.

Debate with those capable of it.

This is what I learned talking to theists for over 30 years.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
02-12-2015, 07:17 PM
(02-12-2015 07:01 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yeah, tried that. He said that I do really know because bible says so.

Tell him that this is viscously circular reasoning. The Bible is the claim and can not be the evidence for its own validity. Ask him if he thinks that circular reasoning is valid. Don't let him change the subject. Hold his feet to the fire.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
02-12-2015, 07:20 PM
(02-12-2015 06:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

pffft ...

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-12-2015, 07:26 PM
I would just not say anything and ignore them because that's exactly what they deserve.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
02-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Show him a copy of the Lord of the Rings and ask him if he accepts the Lord Sauron as his deity.

I dunno. Usually when people scream at me, things get... Unpleasant. Evil_monster

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Just ignore them. Everyone knows they're crazy. If there's a single person who's ever been converted by a street preacher... who am I kidding, there are probably plenty. But it's a good way for the truly fucken nuts to self-select, only the truly fucken nuts listen to 'em.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.