How to respond?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2015, 06:25 PM
RE: How to respond?
(04-12-2015 12:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-12-2015 07:01 PM)natachan Wrote:  Yeah, tried that. He said that I do really know because bible says so.

Other holy books say everything in them is true too.

Tried that too. They are all lieing because bible says so.

What really bothers me is that this man's religion is not benign. Even the usual screaming preachers seem fairly happy in their beliefs. I had a talk with another one of them just me and him and it came out that he simply was too uncomfortable with an indifferent universe and ultimate mortality. He simply could not handle that concept, and he really wanted the universe to be just and theism gave him that. It made him happy.

This particular preacher was not like that. His religion did not make him happy. He was crying. His belief led him to believe he was a worthless worm, and he ACTUALLY BELIEVED that he deserved to be treated like trash.

I don't like seeing people so unhappy. I don't like seeing that kind of pain. And I don't think it's right to spread a dogma that teaches people to feel that kind of pain. Theists like to say that I'm lost, that I'm evil. But I am the one who does not think that people should be made to feel like that. This man deserves to be happy, and his belief is stopping that. My heart goes out to him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2015, 11:26 PM
(02-12-2015 06:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  ... I want him to at least understand where I'm coming from.
To quote Wesley from The Princess Bride, "Learn to live with disappointment."

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
04-12-2015, 11:32 PM
(02-12-2015 06:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  ... I want him to at least understand where I'm coming from.
They don't want to understand.

They choose to remain ignorant.

Sapere aude
06-12-2015, 10:59 PM
(02-12-2015 06:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  I honestly don't know how to respond to this.
It doesn't matter how you respond. He is not there to listen to your responses.
(02-12-2015 06:06 PM)natachan Wrote:  This person genuinely believes and I want him to at least understand where I'm coming from. I don't want these divisions.
He won't understand where you are coming from.
No responses - no divisions - no contentions Smile

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED