How to solve the worlds problems – since Seth asked.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 01:56 AM
How to solve the worlds problems – since Seth asked.
In the last podcast, Seth and a caller were talking about centrism and the wanting third parties. Seth said that we were stuck with ether an 'R' or a 'D' until a better system is devised. He said that if anyone has an idea to solve the worlds problems – he's all ears.

Well, I've got a solution, and anyone who learned arithmetic in grade school should have this solution as well. It frustrates me so much that neither Seth nor the “moderate” caller brought it up. The reason we are stuck with Democrats and Republicans is because of our ridiculous first-past-the-post voting system that punishes us if we choose to vote for our favorite candidate instead of just the Democrat or Republican. If we want actual moderation, we've got to have a voting system that provides accurate representation and allows you to express an opinion on all candidates instead of just one.

I think the best solution is to replace all party primaries with a single non-partisan primary that uses approval voting to get two candidates who will face off in the general election. The key element here is using approval voting (e.i. allowing voters to vote for all the candidates they like instead of just one). This is not like the CA and WA open primaries that still allows for vote splitting and is barely better than picking the names of the two candidates out of a hat. The two candidates who have the highest effective approval rating would move on to the general election instead of the two that just happen to survive the vote splitting process.

We can change the voting system without the help of politicians. This can be done in states that allow ballot initiatives. There were actually people petitioning for this in Oregon in 2014, but it didn't get enough signatures in time to be put on the ballot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: How to solve the worlds problems – since Seth asked.
What about us in the world that don't have Dems and Reps? Just sayin, there are other countries in the world. Or to help out a little more the USA is not the whole world...
[+] 4 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
22-05-2015, 09:03 PM
“Solve the worlds problems” was the phrase used by Seth in the discussion he was having about parties; that is why I used it. That being said, the US is a very influential force in the world and solving its problems would help a lot in solving the rest of the worlds problems.

Having two round approval voting elections would help a lot of other countries in the world as well. In the recent election in Alberta, Canada, the far left party won because of vote splitting. The New Democratic Party got around 40% of the vote and won 62% of the seats while the two conservative parties got 52% of the vote and lost due to vote splitting. In the 2011 Canadian federal elections, it was the opposite; the conservatives won the majority of the seats with only 40% of the vote while the liberal majority split the vote. In the recent UK election, the results were also completely skewed.. In all these cases, you get a government that doesn't accurately represent the population and it is all because of the ridiculous first-past-the-post voting system.
22-05-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm going with Ted Turner. Men cannot be elected to public office for the next 100 years. The women folk are better equipped to solve the world's problems.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Solving the worlds problems is easy: plant a tonne of trees'n shit and remove humanity. Shit will stabilize after that.

(22-05-2015 11:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm going with Ted Turner. Men cannot be elected to public office for the next 100 years. The women folk are better equipped to solve the world's problems.

Based upon...?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
22-05-2015, 11:38 PM
(22-05-2015 11:11 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Solving the worlds problems is easy: plant a tonne of trees'n shit and remove humanity. Shit will stabilize after that.

(22-05-2015 11:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm going with Ted Turner. Men cannot be elected to public office for the next 100 years. The women folk are better equipped to solve the world's problems.

Based upon...?

Working for both men and women.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-05-2015, 06:49 AM
(22-05-2015 01:56 AM)blahface Wrote:  In the last podcast, Seth and a caller were talking about centrism and the wanting third parties. Seth said that we were stuck with ether an 'R' or a 'D' until a better system is devised. He said that if anyone has an idea to solve the worlds problems – he's all ears.

Well, I've got a solution, and anyone who learned arithmetic in grade school should have this solution as well. It frustrates me so much that neither Seth nor the “moderate” caller brought it up. The reason we are stuck with Democrats and Republicans is because of our ridiculous first-past-the-post voting system that punishes us if we choose to vote for our favorite candidate instead of just the Democrat or Republican. If we want actual moderation, we've got to have a voting system that provides accurate representation and allows you to express an opinion on all candidates instead of just one.

I think the best solution is to replace all party primaries with a single non-partisan primary that uses approval voting to get two candidates who will face off in the general election. The key element here is using approval voting (e.i. allowing voters to vote for all the candidates they like instead of just one). This is not like the CA and WA open primaries that still allows for vote splitting and is barely better than picking the names of the two candidates out of a hat. The two candidates who have the highest effective approval rating would move on to the general election instead of the two that just happen to survive the vote splitting process.

We can change the voting system without the help of politicians. This can be done in states that allow ballot initiatives. There were actually people petitioning for this in Oregon in 2014, but it didn't get enough signatures in time to be put on the ballot.

I have two suggestions:

1. A friend of mine many years ago suggested that voters be allowed to cast "negative" votes--that is, votes against a candidate for holding public office.

2. We might ban those who have law degrees from holding public office.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
23-05-2015, 08:26 AM
(22-05-2015 09:03 PM)blahface Wrote:  “Solve the worlds problems” was the phrase used by Seth in the discussion he was having about parties; that is why I used it. That being said, the US is a very influential force in the world and solving its problems would help a lot in solving the rest of the worlds problems.

Having two round approval voting elections would help a lot of other countries in the world as well. In the recent election in Alberta, Canada, the far left party won because of vote splitting. The New Democratic Party got around 40% of the vote and won 62% of the seats while the two conservative parties got 52% of the vote and lost due to vote splitting. In the 2011 Canadian federal elections, it was the opposite; the conservatives won the majority of the seats with only 40% of the vote while the liberal majority split the vote. In the recent UK election, the results were also completely skewed.. In all these cases, you get a government that doesn't accurately represent the population and it is all because of the ridiculous first-past-the-post voting system.
I get what you are saying but...
Do you remember the movie Independence Day? The aliens attack and the world must defend itself. There is obvious message that the whole world will celebrate July 4th when we beat the aliens with a plan that might not work in reality. When the yanks come up with a plan the director cuts to a British soldier and he says something like "it about bloody time, what do they plan to do?" All the yanks in the theatre jumped up and yelled some variation of "fuck yeah America!" while waving flags of all sizes. The rest of us just rolled our eyes a little or said "pfft."
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
23-05-2015, 08:45 AM
I've for awhile been in favor of telling those with voices that reach others to stop the nonsensical comments of, we are stuck with X until something better comes along. Something better comes along when you, and you inform plenty others that talk to you through contact that it can happen.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-05-2015, 01:49 PM
(23-05-2015 06:49 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  A friend of mine many years ago suggested that voters be allowed to cast "negative" votes--that is, votes against a candidate for holding public office.

If we allowed for negative voting, I don't think any party would hold office for more than 2 election cycles.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 1 user Likes Kaneda's post