How to spark curiosity in children.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2015, 09:15 AM
How to spark curiosity in children.
How to spark curiosity in children by embracing uncertainty:

http://ww2.kqed.org/mindshift/2015/10/21...certainty/

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. If we will only allow that, as we progress, we remain unsure, we will leave opportunities for alternatives. We will not become enthusiastic for the fact, the knowledge, the absolute truth of the day, but remain always uncertain … In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar.” -Richard Feynman

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Ted Tucker's post
22-10-2015, 10:39 AM
RE: How to spark curiosity in children.
The quickest way to make a kid curious about something --- tell them to leave it alone................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
22-10-2015, 10:51 AM
^
Yeah, that's the post I was about to write!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
22-10-2015, 12:00 PM
I just do things and let them get curious with me. My almost 4 year old has started doing pushups with me in the morning. I never asked him to lol.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
22-10-2015, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2015 07:44 PM by Ted Tucker.)
(22-10-2015 10:39 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The quickest way to make a kid curious about something --- tell them to leave it alone................

Yeah, when I see my 5 year old granddaughter exporing under a bush outside, covered in mud from head to toe, with a bucket full of a mixture leaves, flowers, worms, and muddy water I am pleased. Rather then get mad at her for getting her new clothes all muddy, I think she is learning and exploring, leave her alone, let her go, don't bother her, she is doing science!

I try hard to help teach her how to think not what to think. Critical thinking skills are sadly missing in our cookie cutter educational system. Regurgitating so called facts is no way to understanding. If one learns only the name of something they know nothing and have no understanding about the nature of the thing. There should be no absolutes, no authorities only things to be explored, questioned, and better understood.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like Ted Tucker's post
23-10-2015, 01:52 AM
Aren't children naturally curious? Isn't it school which kills such curiosity while trying to make children good little robots with all the standarized tests and one right answer?

As for sparking curiosity books may be a good idea. Mine curiosity was sparked in such way.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
23-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Don’t just teach your children to read…
Teach them to question what they read.
Teach them to question everything.”

― George Carlin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-10-2015, 12:14 PM
(22-10-2015 10:39 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The quickest way to make a kid curious about something --- tell them to leave it alone................

To a degree that's going to work. Though the way people break the curiosity of a child is routinely telling them, don't touch that don't explore that over and over.

I guess I know more how to not stop the natural curious instance more than how to actually revitalize or thrive it back up.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-10-2015, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2015 03:06 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
Tell them about the Big Bang, or how large the Universe is. or how many stars there are in the Universe. That'll probably work.
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
23-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Well, I think children are naturally curious. But if every question led to I don't know, nobody knows for sure, I'm not sure that that would keep a kid's curiosity functioning. Now, if every answer leads to more questions, that's different. That's what usually happened with my kid.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post