How to spark curiosity in children.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-10-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: How to spark curiosity in children.
Well I can say the school system will almost certainly not do it for them. I would attribute my love of learning to having less TV and video games, and more books in my childhood. Or maybe I just liked to feel smart, I don't know. 95% of the really interesting stuff I have learned is outside of school for sure.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
23-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Kids are sponges for learning. Somehow when we get older it is harder as our brains get wired up to follow certain channels and pathways. It much harder to train the older brain to new ways of viewing and understanding nature. I think that if kids can learn early how to continually find new and different ways to explore and solve problems and embrace uncertanty then these critical thinking skills will continue througout adulthood and their brains will be less channeled and better able to deal with the challenges of a world based in science, not in dogma.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
24-10-2015, 05:42 PM
When they're young, expose them to as many experiences as possible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Being curious and interested in learning yourself is an excellent example to your children to never stop learning.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-11-2015, 11:54 AM
I have 2 young kids. a 17 month old and a 3 month old. When my wife was pregnant with our first child I was very excited to learn about how I can inspire them with curiosity. I read two books: "Raising Lifelong Learners", and "Parenting Beyond Belief". At the time I thought those books were great because they gave loads of tips on how to raise curious kids. Despite the lack of empirical data showing that their suggestions have any impact, I believed it because I wanted to believe that I could play an active role in shaping their minds.

The empirical data actually shows that all parenting help books are nonsense because parents have zero impact on children's intelligence and personality. We know this because of the studies of adopted children, whose intelligence and personality have no correlation with their adoptive parents.

When a child grows up in a home with lots of books and develops a love of reading, this appears to be because they have inherited the genes for a love of reading from their parents and seems to have nothing to do with being raised with books. It is the nature not the nurture.

There is a pretty cool documentary on the parenting myth here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41ryusHlrgw

And here is what Steven Pinker has to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekI31kzb6iU
[+] 1 user Likes AtlasoftheHumanJourney's post