[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 10:19 PM
RE: How to spot a closeted atheist?
I don't know if there are specific ways. The only thing I try to do is be outspoken so that they realize that they aren't the only ones with an atheistic view.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Maybe the most logical way to achieve this is by observation, listening to their opinions, watching his/her reactions when something involves religions. Well that the most logic think I can think about this topic IMO.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Give it time, atheists become more outspoken about religion over time.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
15-05-2011, 09:50 PM

I have an issue in this topic.
I am not closeted when I'm with my atheist friends, but with Muslims, I am (ex-Muslim, I am, in a Muslim country).
When other Muslims asks me if I'm Muslim, because I am raised as a Muslim and that I am of a race which are almost synonymous to being a Muslim (actually the race issue is much more complicated, I'll explain later), and that my country have an identification system in where we all carry a card which also states our religion, I feel like I am forced to say "Yes".
But with other races, whom are generally not Muslims, it is easier for me to say that "I don't believe in god".

Anybody else here use to or still are in a similar situation?
Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry for you situation, I can't say I relate very close to you situation, I live in a stronly Christian area of the United States, and the far right likes to tell us that we are a Christian nation, but I have never felt threatened for being an atheist.

I can only think that weak atheists become strong atheists with time, closet atheists need to be influenced out of the closet to a higher degree than which influenced them into the closet. This could be very dependant on how much their social groups speak about religion.
15-05-2011, 10:23 PM

I've noticed that a lot of my friends are closet atheist. They're just too scared/lazy to admit it. And an even larger number of my friends are skeptics. As I'm sure most of you know it's a very emotional and difficult thing to break away from a religion your family has held sacred for such a long time.
Quote this message in a reply