How to talk about evolution to a creationist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2014, 04:21 PM
How to talk about evolution to a creationist
[Image: Leese_CRU-T-shirt_09.jpg]

In some moments in life you will have to talk about evolution to a creationist. Weather it be a muslim,hindu,or christian one, you need to take this steps to maybe make them realize that evolution does happen.

1. Don't associate evolution with atheism. If you do, then that will turn them off. Show them scientist who believe in god but accept evolution (i.e. Robert Bakker).

2. Apply pressure. What I mean by this is push them to a point they can't really get out of. When showing transitional fossils for example, ask why god would make this animal to conform with the predictions of evolution, but not something that would not fit with evolution(i.e catbug
[Image: photo.jpg])

3. Force definitions. If they won't define if you do it your self and make sure that they stick with it, if not keep using it that way, they will eventually give into a definition.

4. If they want to play science, they must follow the rules. If they want to make creationism look scientific then it must follow the scientific definitions and what the evidence says in biology.

5. Be Kind and Clam. This is the hardest part for many, but be friendly, creationist tend to be friendly if your going to be friendly, they are still human

6. Be a smartassSmartass. This will help, however only do it as a tactic as a way for them to realize that there argument is bad(i.e if all bacteria are the same kind then marijuana and humans are the same kind, or the government hates evolution because the force people to pay for papers.)

7. Show them the creationist they get their information from are lying a lot. For example for christian creationist, show them that ken ham lies too much, and maybe they will see that you can't defend creationism without lying.

Give it a try. Don't expect the results to happen quick. It may take years for them to realize you are right. Some times it take a week. Just be your self and remember they are human too.

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2014, 08:39 PM
RE: How to talk about evolution to a creationist
Nice points.

I also ask them about something they all ready accept as fact.(micro evolution as they call it, preachers avoid mentioning this to the sheep)

Humans co-opted evolutionary science to achieve a desired result in Dogs/cats/livestock/food crops/silver fox.
Genetic mutations selected for an perceived positive evolutionary outcome.(behavioral traits in the fox)

Take away the human influence and insert an environmental condition over a long period of time and that is evolution. An environmentally isolated group of fauna or flora selectively breeding themselves into a new entity via beneficial mutations.
Prise open their rational side by building upon what they all ready believe about evolution, leave the human evolution out of the conversation until the crack in the ignorance door is wide enough.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
16-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Be kind and clam.
[+] 2 users Like DemonicLemon's post
24-08-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm unsure if arguing evolution is always the best way to go. I seem to make more ground in convincing creationists out of theism right off the bat, as that solves all of the problems that this causes. The second they stop taking the bible's word for it, creationism is dispelled.

I have respect for those who do argue science, as every approach should be attempted. Don't complain that people use different tactics, as some people respond better to a firebrand rather than a diplomat. Also some may respond better to an atheist rather than an "evolutionist" and obviously vice versa.
The main reason for this is some people aren't scientifically minded. Science was never their thing, and so most creationists I have encountered point to the bible. So I either have to jump into enemy territory, and start disputing the bible which I might as well be arguing theology, or I start to falsify claims in the bible, but that's shifting the burden of proof and I am wary of doing it because of that.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
24-08-2014, 08:24 PM
(24-08-2014 07:42 PM)spinosauruskin Wrote:  I'm unsure if arguing evolution is always the best way to go. I seem to make more ground in convincing creationists out of theism right off the bat, as that solves all of the problems that this causes. The second they stop taking the bible's word for it, creationism is dispelled.

I have respect for those who do argue science, as every approach should be attempted. Don't complain that people use different tactics, as some people respond better to a firebrand rather than a diplomat. Also some may respond better to an atheist rather than an "evolutionist" and obviously vice versa.
The main reason for this is some people aren't scientifically minded. Science was never their thing, and so most creationists I have encountered point to the bible. So I either have to jump into enemy territory, and start disputing the bible which I might as well be arguing theology, or I start to falsify claims in the bible, but that's shifting the burden of proof and I am wary of doing it because of that.

I could care less about their religious belief, but instead scientific education. I don't debate I educate.

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
24-08-2014, 11:55 PM
You'd be better off explaining art to a dead hare.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
25-08-2014, 01:23 AM
(16-03-2014 02:46 PM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Be kind and clam.

But that's no fun! No

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
25-08-2014, 04:52 AM
Someone that far gone won't listen. I debate "crapinists" not to convince them, but to act as a vaccine for others who could potentially fall for their crap.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-08-2014, 05:48 AM
(24-08-2014 08:24 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I could care less about their religious belief, but instead scientific education. I don't debate I educate.

After conversing with a few creationists, and trying to explain evolution, I have noticed this "does-not-compute" phenomenon happen, in which even after evolution has been explained, they still have identical misconceptions. This is not just my own experience. Ray Comfort has had evolution explained many times, and still fails to understand. Some other creationists that my friend spoke to displayed this.

AronRa had an interesting hypothesis, of which these beliefs have their own defence mechanisms, and in a way the beliefs can defend themselves.

One of these mechanisms I would postulate is the shutdown of understanding. The belief does not let them take in what is explained, as it isn't absurd enough for them to be instantly incredulous. The belief can be preserved very effectively this way.

I am going to look further into how to crack these mechanisms, so that it will be easier to educate these kinds of people on science.

Because of this finding, I go straight on the offensive to the bible. I try to discredit their reasons for accepting that, as there is actually less defence held up in that area. If you say something in the bible is scientifically impossible, or doesn't fit into known science, they will just call god, or I have also heard "I don't know enough about science to talk about it"

Also, I am educating them on critical thinking. Although debates can occur, I try to keep it conversational.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
25-08-2014, 10:32 PM
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2287]

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post