How to tell apart a teenage phase and a real change of lifestyle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 08:30 AM
RE: How to tell apart a teenage phase and a real change of lifestyle?
No one re-believes in santa, it ain't no phase.
But you might find god again in the horizontal position.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
how the crapstick did my reply get above the OP Confused

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
03-11-2013, 09:25 AM
How to tell apart a teenage phase and a real change of lifestyle?
So I've been told that my atheism is just a phase, but honestly, I don't know how to tell apart a phase and a real change. Me starting to play guitar might have been a phase, but I've been at it for a few years. Any insight on this?

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix
03-11-2013, 09:51 AM
(03-11-2013 09:25 AM)guitarist Wrote:  So I've been told that my atheism is just a phase, but honestly, I don't know how to tell apart a phase and a real change. Me starting to play guitar might have been a phase, but I've been at it for a few years. Any insight on this?

Atheism is not a phase. Once you realize how silly religion is, you can hardly go back.

But it makes believers feel better to think it's a phase for you.

I would let it stand, it allows them to slowly get used to it.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-11-2013, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 12:23 PM by LadyJane.)
I like this concept!

Many youth do 'try on' things in the teenage years or young adulthood to see what it's like and 'know' it more to see if it works for them. Erik Erikson (psychologist who developed theory on development) refers to this as identity vs. non-identity.

If this is something new, you are trying it on. If you like it and agree with it then it goes from something you try to a role you decide to 'be'. But no one can tell you if it's just a phase or if it will stay. Someone can say this hoping it's just a phase.

If you feel uncertain about something (atheism, guitar playing, etc) explore it more and see if it aligns with something you can identify with , explore it until you feel comfortable and confident that it is 'you'. If it is not working, move to the next thing you think might and explore it. You'll know when you've experienced, researched and worked through enough that you become satisfied.

This 'roleplaying' can happen all of our life but most of it occurs when we're young.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
(03-11-2013 08:54 AM)sporehux Wrote:  how the crapstick did my reply get above the OP Confused

Daylight Saving Time/server glitsch.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-11-2013, 08:41 PM
"Time", is the answer. I went through a lot of phases in my teens that I was 100% sure were permanent. Ideas, hobbies, beliefs, they all came and went. Even now, I'm still changing. That's why I learned long ago to never assume that where I am today is where I'll be tomorrow.

With that said, though, I have held on to some of those "phases" from my teens and even before. So, it's safe to say that they're going to stick around for a while. Either way, time is the only thing that will reveal who you will ultimately turn out to be.

For now, embrace what you are in the present, but also be willing (and ready) to change in the weeks, months and years to come.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
03-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Quote:Any insight on this?

People who tell you it is "just a phase" are scared shitless that it isn't.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
03-11-2013, 10:20 PM
(03-11-2013 09:25 AM)guitarist Wrote:  So I've been told that my atheism is just a phase, but honestly, I don't know how to tell apart a phase and a real change. Me starting to play guitar might have been a phase, but I've been at it for a few years. Any insight on this?

Everyone here has given great advice. The benefit of a few years is the realization that life is a series of chapters (or phases) one to another. Time will tell what things stay with you and what things, in hindsight, were temporal. I do think that once you've seen the holes in religions it's not probable that you'll go back.

On the guitar thing...
I started playing guitar when I was 8 (before that it was tennis rackets and baseball bats playing along with records) and 43 years later I find myself still playing for a living. The guitar is a great friend (non-players won't understand this) that has kept me company for many years and through all kinds of different "phases." If you're a player, you'll know it, time will bear it out, and no one will be able to persuade you otherwise.
[+] 1 user Likes Chopdoc's post
04-11-2013, 03:19 AM
(03-11-2013 08:30 AM)sporehux Wrote:  No one re-believes in santa, it ain't no phase.
But you might find god again in the horizontal position.

In the hospital?

Music is my religion
- Jimi Hendrix