How to tell my Father...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: How to tell my Father...
(14-09-2015 12:13 AM)Blackborealis Wrote:  Welcome aboard the forum buddy, have a great stay here.

OK, I'm a more than a little curious how a banned member can post this recently? Or can a person put a strikethrough his/her name and have "Banned" below their name? I need a "scratching my head" smiley.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
15-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Welcome.

I'll second what DLJ said. No hurries...

And -- I moved out when I was 17. Always remember - you DO have options.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately we hear about situations like this a lot around here. Of course I always sympathize with the budding atheist who faces the fear of what will happen to the relationships in his life if he's found out. But being the parent of two young kids myself I've come to sympathize more and more with the parents in these stories. Maybe "sympathize" isn't the right word, maybe "pity" says it better. My heart breaks thinking of people so trapped and deeply indoctrinated by the dogma (Hell, sin, etc.) that this is the lens they view the entire world through, including their relationships with their children.

The parent/child bond ought to be the MOST important thing in a parent's life. The idea that religion could potentially drive a wedge into that relationship only serves to illustrate what an abominable, unnatural corruption religion is to mankind. My sons are 4-and-a-half and 4 months old, respectively, and already they're my whole universe. There's nothing I wouldn't do for them, no problem I wouldn't try to help them with or face alongside them, no question they could ask me that I would retreat from and no statement they could make about WHO THEY ARE that would cause me to love them even one iota less than with my entire heart. I think ALL parents deserve to have that kind of relationship with their kids and religion robs them of it. The ONLY thing my kids could do that would be a disappointment would be if they lived less than genuine lives; if they stuck to some philosophy or system or set of life goals they didn't fully support out of a desire to please me.

Anyway, I'm not saying I'm a perfect parent, the 4-year-old referenced above went to bed at 10PM last night and had chocolate chip cookies for breakfast this morning, for example. Some days the easy route is the only route available! I just think there's really no better illustration of the cancerous nature of religion than the fact that it far too often leads to the dissolution of the "family unit" the very thing it purports to protect and nurture.

So yeah, I wouldn't necessarily "come out" to your dad at this point. It could cause more harm than good. Keep it close to your vest for now unless he forces your hand somehow, or you get to a point where keeping it secret is causing you more anguish and heartache than spilling the beans would.
15-09-2015, 08:13 AM
My dad is not very religious, but does go to Catholicker church every Sunday. I said, "Dad I'm a fucking atheist". He said nothing. Like I said earlier we are not that religious in Australia. I never really had much to do with him for over a 1/4 century, so it did not affect me. Although I was baptised. Only to never be religious.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.