How to train your dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 06:15 AM
How to train your dog
This thread is for questions and answers about fixing dog training issues. If there is any issue you have, from simple to complicated, post it here and someone with professional training experience will answer.

A great way to train is to have your dog take canine good citizen classes. If you go here http://classic.akc.org/events/cgc/cgc_bystate.cfm you can find someone to call about classes near you. You'll be surprised how much fun you will have, and how your dog will also enjoy this. Most dogs just thrive on this, and the result is a dog you can trust to behave appropriately.

A trained dog is a happy dog, s/he knows what to do and doesn't have to live a life of fails and corrections. Dogs love being in harmony with their people. Basic training is the single best thing you will ever do for your dog and yourself.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
31-12-2013, 07:30 AM
RE: How to train your dog
(31-12-2013 06:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  doesn't have to live a life of fails and corrections.

I want summa dat. How come dogs get it and not me ? I'm a good citizen. I don't murder people... much...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-12-2013, 07:43 AM
(31-12-2013 07:30 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 06:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  doesn't have to live a life of fails and corrections.

I want summa dat. How come dogs get it and not me ? I'm a good citizen. I don't murder people... much...

Simplify your life Smile Just eat and sleep and run around and play with your toys, and mind your master or mistress. Tongue

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
31-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Me and my girlfriend plan to move in together eventually in the future - however we're two different people. I'm a cat person and she's a dog person. How is one way to assure that the cat and dog would get along? We don't plan to buy them until we're financially secure but this worries me.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
31-12-2013, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2013 11:17 AM by QueenTit.)
(31-12-2013 10:43 AM)Question Wrote:  Me and my girlfriend plan to move in together eventually in the future - however we're two different people. I'm a cat person and she's a dog person. How is one way to assure that the cat and dog would get along? We don't plan to buy them until we're financially secure but this worries me.

If you got them both at the same time, as "babies" and introduce them, you'll have almost no problem... especially if they'll be living together. Cats and dogs that grow up together almost ALWAYS do very well together.
I had my cat for two and a half years before we brought our puppy home. I was kind of nervous about how they would interact so I did a lot of reading about it (all of it turned out to be pointless because my cat didn't even get his back up--he just sniffed the dog's butt and walked away. They're friends now and play all the time), so I can share some advice to set your mind at ease, in case you plan to get one animal before the other one.
The introduction is the most important part. You obviously can't just throw the dog and the cat together. If you have the cat first, it's good to try to get it around any calm, older dogs you know a lot (or, what we did, was get a stuffed animal of a little dog that actually barked and walked, and had my boyfriend's parent's dog sleep with it for a few nights so it had dog sent, and then let my cat play with it for like a month before we brought puppy home).
If you get the dog first, it's good to make sure he/she is leash trained and will obey your "stay" command.
For the first little bit (day or two), you can keep the cat in a small area (guest bedroom, office, etc) so that the dog can run around the house and the cat can get used to the smells, sounds, etc. of the dog.
Then, with the dog on a leash, slowly open the door and let them have their first introduction. Try to keep the dog as calm as possible for the first couple of interactions.
Living together, they will get used to each other pretty quickly. You really don't have a lot to worry about! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2013, 11:12 AM
(31-12-2013 06:15 AM)Dom Wrote:  This thread is for questions and answers about fixing dog training issues. If there is any issue you have, from simple to complicated, post it here and someone with professional training experience will answer.

A great way to train is to have your dog take canine good citizen classes. If you go here http://classic.akc.org/events/cgc/cgc_bystate.cfm you can find someone to call about classes near you. You'll be surprised how much fun you will have, and how your dog will also enjoy this. Most dogs just thrive on this, and the result is a dog you can trust to behave appropriately.

A trained dog is a happy dog, s/he knows what to do and doesn't have to live a life of fails and corrections. Dogs love being in harmony with their people. Basic training is the single best thing you will ever do for your dog and yourself.

I'm excited about this thread as animal training is a passion of mine. I've taken a few classes including one on the psychology of animal learning and behavior so I will answer any questions that I know answers to!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes QueenTit's post
31-12-2013, 12:12 PM
(31-12-2013 10:43 AM)Question Wrote:  Me and my girlfriend plan to move in together eventually in the future - however we're two different people. I'm a cat person and she's a dog person. How is one way to assure that the cat and dog would get along? We don't plan to buy them until we're financially secure but this worries me.

First I need to know if you already own the dog and cat or would get them after moving in. If you get them after, get a young puppy and a kitten and just make sure the puppy doesn't get to squish the kitten, supervise a bit and stop rough housing, and put them in separate rooms for a while when you are not watching. Mostly you don't want accidental injuries, there will be no bad intention, just play that can get out of bounds depending on the size difference. This is the ideal situation.

If these are pre-existing animals, I need details on them first.

Size, age, breed, general disposition.... It can all be made to work, but how you proceed depends on the individuals.

31-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Not nearly as exciting as How To Train Your Dragon
31-12-2013, 12:31 PM
(31-12-2013 12:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  

First I need to know if you already own the dog and cat or would get them after moving in. If you get them after, get a young puppy and a kitten and just make sure the puppy doesn't get to squish the kitten, supervise a bit and stop rough housing, and put them in separate rooms for a while when you are not watching. Mostly you don't want accidental injuries, there will be no bad intention, just play that can get out of bounds depending on the size difference. This is the ideal situation.

If these are pre-existing animals, I need details on them first.

Size, age, breed, general disposition.... It can all be made to work, but how you proceed depends on the individuals.
It's debatable that we might bring my cat Sassy along, but my mother wants to keep her, but I don't want to leave her there. We're not 100% on that yet, but we are buying a dog after we move in together, that's for certain.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
31-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Needs more dragon

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 3 users Like Lightvader's post