How to train your dog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2013, 01:27 PM
RE: How to train your dog
(31-12-2013 12:31 PM)Question Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  First I need to know if you already own the dog and cat or would get them after moving in. If you get them after, get a young puppy and a kitten and just make sure the puppy doesn't get to squish the kitten, supervise a bit and stop rough housing, and put them in separate rooms for a while when you are not watching. Mostly you don't want accidental injuries, there will be no bad intention, just play that can get out of bounds depending on the size difference. This is the ideal situation.

If these are pre-existing animals, I need details on them first.

Size, age, breed, general disposition.... It can all be made to work, but how you proceed depends on the individuals.
It's debatable that we might bring my cat Sassy along, but my mother wants to keep her, but I don't want to leave her there. We're not 100% on that yet, but we are buying a dog after we move in together, that's for certain.

If your mom loves the cat, I suggest you leave her there, it will be so much easier to bring together a puppy and a kitten.

If you do take the cat, make sure you wait a month or so and let the cat adjust to the new surroundings first (most cats HATE to move) and then bring in a pup. If you move an adult cat into a new place at the same time with a pup, chances are the cat will beat the crap out of the pup if it gets the chance. The pup will be the scape goat for the cat having had to leave home. So, the cat has to call it home first, then there won't be a scape goat.

If you supervise all the time they spend together (the pup will just want to play, but again, not knowing what breed/size doesn't let me give good advice) and separate them when you can't supervise until play is gentle all the time, you should not have an issue.

It can always be done, how it's done depends on the individuals. Most dogs and cats bond beautifully if done right by the people.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2013, 05:27 PM
(31-12-2013 01:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 12:31 PM)Question Wrote:  It's debatable that we might bring my cat Sassy along, but my mother wants to keep her, but I don't want to leave her there. We're not 100% on that yet, but we are buying a dog after we move in together, that's for certain.

If your mom loves the cat, I suggest you leave her there, it will be so much easier to bring together a puppy and a kitten.

If you do take the cat, make sure you wait a month or so and let the cat adjust to the new surroundings first (most cats HATE to move) and then bring in a pup. If you move an adult cat into a new place at the same time with a pup, chances are the cat will beat the crap out of the pup if it gets the chance. The pup will be the scape goat for the cat having had to leave home. So, the cat has to call it home first, then there won't be a scape goat.

If you supervise all the time they spend together (the pup will just want to play, but again, not knowing what breed/size doesn't let me give good advice) and separate them when you can't supervise until play is gentle all the time, you should not have an issue.

It can always be done, how it's done depends on the individuals. Most dogs and cats bond beautifully if done right by the people.
My mom can't really afford to keep the cat on her own, and she tends to neglect Sassy emotionally. When she's angry and Sassy is begging for attention she tends to kick her.

That's a good idea, thanks for the advice, DOM. = )

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
31-12-2013, 05:37 PM
(31-12-2013 10:43 AM)Question Wrote:  Me and my girlfriend plan to move in together eventually in the future - however we're two different people. I'm a cat person and she's a dog person. How is one way to assure that the cat and dog would get along? We don't plan to buy them until we're financially secure but this worries me.

I have three adult dogs and recently brought home a kitten that I adopted from a local shelter. The first week we kept the kitten upstairs when we weren't home but had them all together in the evening. One dog took right to the kitten and the kitten soon warmed up...but that dog is such a mom. The youngest dog had never seen a cat before and is still a little iffy. Middle, grumpy dog is actually coming around. After two months all are fine together and the kitten is smart enough to know where to go that the dogs can't, like up on the stairs just beyond the gate.

Sometimes they all play together or sleep side by side.

Of course it depends on the temperaments involved as far as how close they will get. I have found over the years that most dogs and cats will at least learn to coexist if not be buddies.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
31-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Lots of great advice in here so far. The only thing I'd add to introducing pets: if you are have any hiccups, try using positive association. Have them near each other while feeding, or each of you play with one pet on opposite sides of the same room. That way they associate being around the other with good things happening. This has worked for me many times with cats, I'd assume it translates to introducing dogs and cats as well.
31-12-2013, 06:34 PM
(31-12-2013 05:27 PM)Question Wrote:  
(31-12-2013 01:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  If your mom loves the cat, I suggest you leave her there, it will be so much easier to bring together a puppy and a kitten.

My mom can't really afford to keep the cat on her own, and she tends to neglect Sassy emotionally. When she's angry and Sassy is begging for attention she tends to kick her.

That's a good idea, thanks for the advice, DOM. = )

Let me know when you know the breed/size and age of the pup and I can give more and better advice.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-12-2013, 07:49 PM
ManlyGirl used to be a dog trainer for PetSmart. Then she got her own pack of Beagles. She still fosters and pet sits but introducing a new dog into a pack is easy. That's where they want to be, they want to belong in a pack. When she wants a certain behavior from a new dog she illustrates it by example behavior reward for the rest of the pack. Even the most aggressive dogs pick it up quick after seeing it a dozen times.
She has however been totally unsuccessful at training them to not start baying "God Save The Queen" every time we pull up in the driveway. "What's up with that? No way they can smell you out here in the car." "They recognize the sound of the car."
Trying to integrate a cat?!?! Yeah that just wouldn't be fair to the pack. ... Unless it was declawed. ... Consider ... and even then. ... Consider

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
01-01-2014, 09:57 AM
[Image: 603953_10151897306832545_902124422_n.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
02-01-2014, 03:14 PM
(31-12-2013 10:43 AM)Question Wrote:  Me and my girlfriend plan to move in together eventually in the future - however we're two different people. I'm a cat person and she's a dog person. How is one way to assure that the cat and dog would get along? We don't plan to buy them until we're financially secure but this worries me.

buy the dog first, get a little obedience training in and then get a kitten. I wouldn't say any older than 11 weeks. It is A LOT easier to introduce a kitten to a full grown dog than it is to introduce a puppy to a full grown cat. My youngest dog and cat play all the time. They wrestle too. He soft-mouthes her and she bites him back.

Also, the first introduction should be very very calm. If you have a high energy dog, take them for a bike ride and run the hell out of them. Tongue down to their toes kinda tired. Have ahold of the dog so he doesn't chase, just stiffs.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  photo 1.JPG (Size: 655.51 KB / Downloads: 23)
.jpg  photo 2.JPG (Size: 705.26 KB / Downloads: 22)

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
(02-01-2014 03:14 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  

buy the dog first, get a little obedience training in and then get a kitten. I wouldn't say any older than 11 weeks. It is A LOT easier to introduce a kitten to a full grown dog than it is to introduce a puppy to a full grown cat. My youngest dog and cat play all the time. They wrestle too. He soft-mouthes her and she bites him back.

Also, the first introduction should be very very calm. If you have a high energy dog, take them for a bike ride and run the hell out of them. Tongue down to their toes kinda tired. Have ahold of the dog so he doesn't chase, just stiffs.

That last picture is awesome!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
02-01-2014, 03:26 PM
(31-12-2013 07:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  She has however been totally unsuccessful at training them to not start baying "God Save The Queen" every time we pull up in the driveway. "What's up with that?

You get Beagles, you get baying. You get lots of Beagles, you get a veritable concert. If they only bay when you drive up, you have been blessed by the dogs.

I like Beagles and other hounds, but will never own them because of the baying.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post