How unlikely is reincarnation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 05:58 AM
How unlikely is reincarnation?
Lately, I've been thinking about what the best
supernatural thing to happen after death would be.

Although I reached the conclusion that what we all fear the most, the eternal black screen kind of death normal atheists believe in, is the one we want the most in the end.

Aside from that, the second best option would be reincarnation so you could live once again with a fresh, unexperienced brain.

Is this proven to be impossible, to reincarnate?
Not that I'm sure I wanna risk being reborn as an al-qaeda kid with an AK, or being born 100 years into the future from now when the climate changes has done terrible things...

But, is there any chance we'll suddenly gain control over a new body?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2015, 06:21 AM
RE: How unlikely is reincarnation?
Obviously, no one is going to be able to prove empirically that reincarnation can, or cannot happen.... I'm sure that's not what you're asking anyway. Hindus believe it to be a certain thing, and Jews cite multiple instances of reincarnation in the Talmud. Jews also regularly teach that souls can be, and often are reincarnated. If other religions teach about reincarnation, I'd be curious to learn about it.
17-08-2015, 06:44 AM
(17-08-2015 05:58 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Aside from that, the second best option would be reincarnation so you could live once again with a fresh, unexperienced brain.

If it is a fresh, unexperienced brain then you have no memories of your prior life. I don't see how there would be any continuity from the you of the past to the you of the future. It wouldn't be you in any meaningful sense.

I've read claims that each life starts fresh with no memories and that after death there is consciousness where we remember all past lives so that we can evaluate the experiences and then choose a next life in order to improve by adding something that has been missing through the new experience. It seems to me like a really stupid system but it makes more sense than the xian heaven/hell scenario.

Given that there's no evidence for any of it I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. It sounds like just another fantasy to avoid the fear of the unknown.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Yes, I'm just wondering if it's proven to be very unlikely or impossibleSmile
17-08-2015, 06:46 AM
(17-08-2015 06:44 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Yes, I'm just wondering if it's proven to be very unlikely or impossibleSmile

The question is whether or not it has been shown to be possible. If you start out trying to prove a claim like that false you are doing it backwards.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-08-2015, 06:47 AM
(17-08-2015 06:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 05:58 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Aside from that, the second best option would be reincarnation so you could live once again with a fresh, unexperienced brain.

If it is a fresh, unexperienced brain then you have no memories of your prior life. I don't see how there would be any continuity from the you of the past to the you of the future. It wouldn't be you in any meaningful sense.

I've read claims that each life starts fresh with no memories and that after death there is consciousness where we remember all past lives so that we can evaluate the experiences and then choose a next life in order to improve by adding something that has been missing through the new experience. It seems to me like a really stupid system but it makes more sense than the xian heaven/hell scenario.

Given that there's no evidence for any of it I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. It sounds like just another fantasy to avoid the fear of the unknown.

Let's say it was proven you could reincarnate without carrying with you past life experience and memories, then that would for a lot of people still be awesome enough knowing they wouldn't be gone forever and and can come back to party some more.
17-08-2015, 06:49 AM
(17-08-2015 06:46 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 06:44 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Yes, I'm just wondering if it's proven to be very unlikely or impossibleSmile

The question is whether or not it has been shown to be possible. If you start out trying to prove a claim like that false you are doing it backwards.

I would say xtianity is debunked, but is reincarnation debunked to the same degree?
17-08-2015, 06:58 AM
(17-08-2015 05:58 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  But, is there any chance we'll suddenly gain control over a new body?

No. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2015, 06:58 AM
If you believe that consciousness is the result of purely physical components, such as neural connections, and chemical reactions between those components, rather than something intangible like a soul, then it rationally follows that reincarnation is not possible once your current body has decomposed and been reclaimed as base minerals and nutrients in the construction of a different living thing.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-08-2015, 06:59 AM
(17-08-2015 06:47 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 06:44 AM)unfogged Wrote:  If it is a fresh, unexperienced brain then you have no memories of your prior life. I don't see how there would be any continuity from the you of the past to the you of the future. It wouldn't be you in any meaningful sense.

Let's say it was proven you could reincarnate without carrying with you past life experience and memories, then that would for a lot of people still be awesome enough knowing they wouldn't be gone forever and and can come back to party some more.

That is incoherent. Without your past life experience and memories, you would not be 'you' in any way.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post