How unlikely is reincarnation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 07:02 AM
RE: How unlikely is reincarnation?
(17-08-2015 06:47 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Let's say it was proven you could reincarnate without carrying with you past life experience and memories, then that would for a lot of people still be awesome enough knowing they wouldn't be gone forever and and can come back to party some more.

I don't see that it would make a difference since it would not be me, it would be somebody else with different experiences. I know that after I die there will be other people born who will also not be me so I don't see why I should feel differently about that.

Until you can explain how this reincarnated "me" is actually "me" it all seems pointless.

(17-08-2015 06:49 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  would say xtianity is debunked, but is reincarnation debunked to the same degree?

Again, you are going at it backwards. The time to believe something is when somebody can demonstrate that it is reasonable to believe it. not because nobody has shown it to be impossible.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2015, 07:02 AM
I haven't seen any evidence that would lead me to believe that reincarnation is possible.

How unlikely is it? I don't think it's a probabilistic problem. If reincarnation is true, then the probability is 1, if not, then 0. The only way it would be probabilistic is if you had multiple universes, some with reincarnation, and some without, and you had a way of collecting data on how many universes have it and how many don't. Then perhaps you could make probabilistic models to predict the likelihood of a new universe having reincarnation?
17-08-2015, 07:06 AM
(17-08-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 06:47 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Let's say it was proven you could reincarnate without carrying with you past life experience and memories, then that would for a lot of people still be awesome enough knowing they wouldn't be gone forever and and can come back to party some more.

That is incoherent. Without your past life experience and memories, you would not be 'you' in any way.

Maybe I was unclear, but yes, it wouldn't be "me", but I would be conscious in a new body with a new "me"... I would be in control of a new body. It would be a new "I". You get what I mean?
17-08-2015, 07:15 AM
(17-08-2015 07:06 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 06:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  That is incoherent. Without your past life experience and memories, you would not be 'you' in any way.

Maybe I was unclear, but yes, it wouldn't be "me", but I would be conscious in a new body with a new "me"... I would be in control of a new body. It would be a new "I". You get what I mean?

No, I don't. Maybe the new me will.

'I would be conscious in a new body with a new "me"' is not coherent. It is either you or it isn't.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
17-08-2015, 07:23 AM
(17-08-2015 07:15 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 07:06 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  Maybe I was unclear, but yes, it wouldn't be "me", but I would be conscious in a new body with a new "me"... I would be in control of a new body. It would be a new "I". You get what I mean?

No, I don't. Maybe the new me will.

'I would be conscious in a new body with a new "me"' is not coherent. It is either you or it isn't.

Stop channeling me. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2015, 07:26 AM
I'd prefer the black screen to being reincarnated. I don't think reincarnation is likely, and to me it also sounds horrid. Suffering, struggling, and dying over and over and over: no thanks.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
17-08-2015, 09:58 AM
(17-08-2015 07:26 AM)julep Wrote:  I don't think reincarnation is likely, and to me it also sounds horrid.

Butbutbutbut...... then where did "deja vue" come from?

Tongue

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
17-08-2015, 10:10 AM
(17-08-2015 09:58 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 07:26 AM)julep Wrote:  I don't think reincarnation is likely, and to me it also sounds horrid.

Butbutbutbut...... then where did "deja vue" come from?

Tongue

I prefer "vuja de"... that eerie feeling that none of this has ever happened before
Drinking Beverage

17-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Everyone is always reincarnated from someone that was historically significant it seems.
You never hear anyone say they are reincarnated from a long line of babies who died during childbirth.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
17-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Where da fuq you play yer numbers? Something like four thousand traits make a human individual, whenever the wheel spins around, there you are. There ain't no reincarnation, what there is, is a future John, with fond memories of his Gwynnies.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user