How unlikely is reincarnation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 02:31 PM
RE: How unlikely is reincarnation?
I think there are people who have knowledge about places in the world that they have never been to and seek to explain that mysterious knowledge as reincarnation.

Without ever visiting Montreal, nor reading about it, at an early age, I knew it contained an underground section of city. I knew what the buildings looked like in Helsinki. I knew that Teton Sioux warriors would ride bare chested in the winter.

There is a long list of things I knew from an early age that I should not rationally know, but it's there.

I don't try to explain it. I don't make up reasons nor lie to myself to give me some answer. I simply don't know why I know these things.

There may be a very rational explanation and I believe that there should be, but I haven't discovered it yet.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2015, 10:44 PM
(18-08-2015 02:31 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I think there are people who have knowledge about places in the world that they have never been to and seek to explain that mysterious knowledge as reincarnation.

Without ever visiting Montreal, nor reading about it, at an early age, I knew it contained an underground section of city. I knew what the buildings looked like in Helsinki. I knew that Teton Sioux warriors would ride bare chested in the winter.

There is a long list of things I knew from an early age that I should not rationally know, but it's there.

I don't try to explain it. I don't make up reasons nor lie to myself to give me some answer. I simply don't know why I know these things.

There may be a very rational explanation and I believe that there should be, but I haven't discovered it yet.

You likely heard it or read it while not being particularly attentive. There was, for instance, a picture of Montreal/Helsinki/whatever on the opposite page to the one you were actually reading and you didn't consciously note it.

Almost any explanation is more probable than reincarnation. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
19-08-2015, 02:19 AM
When I wrote reincarnation, maybe it was the wrong word to use.

I wasn't thinking about a soul or some magical cr%p transfering over to a new body, but rather
gaining a new "soul"/consciousness later in a new body. That we gain consciousness the second time just like we gained it the first time.

And why did we even get any consciousness at all? Why isn't everybody just like "soulless" robots with no "me"-'s.?
Those two last questions is probably unanswerable as well, but interesting nonetheless!
19-08-2015, 04:35 AM
(17-08-2015 11:30 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Where did the extra billion souls come from?

[Image: soul-train-logo.jpg]

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-08-2015, 06:34 AM
(19-08-2015 02:19 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  When I wrote reincarnation, maybe it was the wrong word to use.

I wasn't thinking about a soul or some magical cr%p transfering over to a new body, but rather
gaining a new "soul"/consciousness later in a new body. That we gain consciousness the second time just like we gained it the first time.

Sorry, but that makes even less sense. If it is a new body with a new consciousness then there isn't a trace of "you" in it. The person standing next to you now is a different body and a different consciousness and is in no way related to you getting a second chance at life. What you are describing is the same thing, just displaced in time instead of space.

Quote:And why did we even get any consciousness at all? Why isn't everybody just like "soulless" robots with no "me"-'s.?
Those two last questions is probably unanswerable as well, but interesting nonetheless!

I try to remember that "why" is the wrong question. It implies intent which implies something having that intent. That's a lot of baggage to add to an already poorly understood issue. It is better to ask how consciousness came about since that leaves you open to a wider range of answers. I agree it is interesting and currently unanswerable.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-08-2015, 07:23 AM
(19-08-2015 06:34 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 02:19 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  When I wrote reincarnation, maybe it was the wrong word to use.

Sorry, but that makes even less sense. If it is a new body with a new consciousness then there isn't a trace of "you" in it. The person standing next to you now is a different body and a different consciousness and is in no way related to you getting a second chance at life. What you are describing is the same thing, just displaced in time instead of space.

Quote:And why did we even get any consciousness at all? Why isn't everybody just like "soulless" robots with no "me"-'s.?

I try to remember that "why" is the wrong question. It implies intent which implies something having that intent. That's a lot of baggage to add to an already poorly understood issue. It is better to ask how consciousness came about since that leaves you open to a wider range of answers. I agree it is interesting and currently unanswerable.

But it would feel like it does now with a new "you" with no traces of the old "you", and not like someone else controlling it, i don't understand why it doesn't make sense to you.

The rest of your post I understand and agree with, though.
19-08-2015, 07:57 AM
(19-08-2015 07:23 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  But it would feel like it does now with a new "you" with no traces of the old "you", and not like someone else controlling it, i don't understand why it doesn't make sense to you.

How do you feel like you when I am controlling me? (a sentence I can't believe I just wrote) Are you now the reincarnation of somebody else? Are they still feeling like they are controlling you?

I can't see how you can think that 'you' are involved at all when some other consciousness in controlling some other body. It isn't you. It has no connection to you. You are not involved in any way.

When you die the physical and electrical patterns that make up your brain are disrupted. When they break up there is no longer "you".

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
19-08-2015, 08:39 AM
(19-08-2015 04:35 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 11:30 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Where did the extra billion souls come from?

[Image: soul-train-logo.jpg]

Ha! Haha!! Hahaha!!! Soul Train. Laugh out load

When I was about nine (in 1985), I made a joke about Soul Train to my Sunday School teacher, which I had never seen because my family didn't allow "worldly" television programs in the house, but had heard referenced enough to know what it was. Baptists were notorious, then, for frowning on all forms of dancing, especially to secular music. I still remember her reply:

"That show is titled wrong. There are no souls on that program."

I don't think she was being racist, just bigoted religiously, since apparently "The Devil's Music" (a popular phrase in our church) sucked the souls right out of those poor, poor sinners. Even at 9, I thought this was ridiculous. Looking back on incidents like that, it's hard to put a finger on the exact moment in my life when I began to back away from the church's lunacy.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
19-08-2015, 08:41 AM
(19-08-2015 07:23 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  But it would feel like it does now with a new "you" with no traces of the old "you", and not like someone else controlling it, i don't understand why it doesn't make sense to you.

What doesn't make sense is why you think there is any connection between this "old you" and some "new you". Consider

What is the connection? How can you call both of them one "you"?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
19-08-2015, 11:13 AM
(19-08-2015 07:23 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  But it would feel like it does now with a new "you" with no traces of the old "you", and not like someone else controlling it

"It would be blue, only it would be red."

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner