How we describe things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-05-2012, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 21-05-2012 08:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: How we describe things
(21-05-2012 12:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It is not accurate to say that a computer is exactly like a brain, but I think it is more accurate to say that it is similar to a brain as opposed to a brain being similar to a computer. The first metaphor implies that a computer performs some tasks in similar ways to how our brain processes external stimuli.

Nope. Don't agree. Don't think a digital computer processes external stimuli in any way similar to my brain. First thing a computer would need is a reticular formation to filter the thousands, if not millions or more, of simultaneous sensations and perceptions I'm exposed to at any given instant. Evolution gave me one, we dunno how to give a computer one. We ain't digital so I find that metaphor every bit as weak as its converse. Wink

(21-05-2012 12:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The metaphor the other way around implies that the brain is similar to the computer and that the brain does things in a similar way to how the computer does it. That isn't the case. We aren't trying to make our brains more like computers, we are trying to make our computers more like brains.

On that we agree. The Holy Grail of AI is to make a computer which at least observably functions indistinguishably from a brain regardless of its underlying systems and structure. We want to make a machine which can pass the Turing Test. ... Why? 'Cause we technologists now. Thumbsup

And shouldn't you be carbon dating some fossil or something? Who let you out of the lab? Big Grin

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: How we describe things
Bring me a fossil and I'll get to work.

Evolve
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post