How we do know that scientific evidence is a fact?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 12:44 PM
It's all fake news. The only thing that we should believe is what's written in the Quran.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2017, 12:50 PM
RE: How we do know that scientific evidence is a fact?
(22-03-2017 12:44 PM)Goosesniper Wrote:  It's all fake news. The only thing that we should believe is what's written in the Quran.

Aaaaand troll. Rolleyes

On an iPad, no less.
Rich fucking troll with zero ability to comprehend the original poster's query.

What a uninteresting dick with nothing to contribute to the conversation. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
22-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Just listen to Ken Ham for five minutes. You'll be 100% convinced religion is garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes treefireguy's post
22-03-2017, 11:22 PM
(20-03-2017 10:06 PM)Menji Wrote:  ...........
"How do you really know that scientific evidence is a fact? Yes we know the earth is round, not flat. But how do you know? You just took the word from scientist or science books or even science teacher in your elementary school. But you, yourself, doesn't not see the real evidence. That's sounds like believing to me. You believe in science, and despite you don't see the actual evidence, you just take the word from scientists. No different like us, the believer, take the word from priests."

After he said that, I don't know what to say. And I came to my though that "yes, it's a very good argument." ...............
There is knowledge: if one doesn't know the Pythagorean theorem, then this flaw is the knowledge, namely one knows, what hasn't a clue of the theorem. Similar, if you understand some papers of the Einstein, then this is the knowledge (regardless of their correctness).
22-03-2017, 11:38 PM
(22-03-2017 12:44 PM)Goosesniper Wrote:  It's all fake news. The only thing that we should believe is what's written in the Quran.

How about no.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
22-03-2017, 11:39 PM
So, one shall consider to have large baggage of knowledge, which is adding up. The course of Life shall prove if they are the real facts or not.
23-03-2017, 01:42 AM
(22-03-2017 11:39 PM)theBorg Wrote:  So, one shall consider to have large baggage of knowledge, which is adding up. The course of Life shall prove if they are the real facts or not.

Take your woo woo bullshit and fuck off to your own thread. Regardless if the OP hasn't commented again, this has turned into a good discussion. You aren't contributiing anything to that conversation, you're just smearing your shit all over the place. Stop doing that.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
23-03-2017, 07:11 AM
(22-03-2017 11:22 PM)theBorg Wrote:  There is knowledge: if one doesn't know the Pythagorean theorem, then this flaw is the knowledge, namely one knows, what hasn't a clue of the theorem. Similar, if you understand some papers of the Einstein, then this is the knowledge (regardless of their correctness).

The gibberish ... with this one, it is strong.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-03-2017, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 09:10 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(20-03-2017 10:06 PM)Menji Wrote:  Okay. I have been an non-believer almost a year now. It's a long process and I cannot really pinpoint the reason of my deconversion. But surely, other than justice and the bible itself, science took a great part in my reasoning.

For the past year, I could explain my point of view and reasoning why I became an atheist when my friends ask about my deconversion. The hardest argument is about Pascal's Wager, but I could give my logical reasoning to explain. My problem is, a few weeks ago, one of my friends ask about my scientific evidence to support my disbelief. As I explained long enough, he strucked me with a question

"How do you really know that scientific evidence is a fact? Yes we know the earth is round, not flat. But how do you know? You just took the word from scientist or science books or even science teacher in your elementary school. But you, yourself, doesn't not see the real evidence. That's sounds like believing to me. You believe in science, and despite you don't see the actual evidence, you just take the word from scientists. No different like us, the believer, take the word from priests."

After he said that, I don't know what to say. And I came to my though that "yes, it's a very good argument." So, I just said to him that he had a very good point and I have no good answer for him.

The question lingers until now for me. He had a really good point. How do we know evolution is truly a fact when only the scientists who see the evidence (we didn't see the actual minerals ourselves)? not us. How even do we know the earth is 4.6 billion years old, when we only knew it because we read science books (it's like reading a bible, huh?) or see a seminar from a distinguished astrophysics? How do we know the universe is 13.7 billion years old, when we know because we see a documentary?

The evidence is not in our hand, it's on the scientists hand. Why we should believe them? I think we must admit that we really have never see the evidence ourselves.

I know that evolution is a fact, and other scientific evidence are factual. But I don't have the words nor reasoning to explain it to my friends question. (he also consider the scientific evidence are factual, he is a nice liberal Christian).

I wish some of you could give me some insights about this question. thank you!Thumbsup

Well, officially we DON'T know that scientific evidence is a fact.

We DO however make observations of natural phenomena, develop hypotheses about the reasons behind them, develop experiments to test these hypotheses, evaluate the results and then draw conclusions from them. We also enlist other scientists to perform the same experiments and see if their results align with our own conclusion.

This can be a brutal and ego crushing process; I'd advise anyone here to sit through a dissertation at a university for Masters and Doctoral candidates and watch the board cross examine and literally tear apart their results. And it has to be because 95% OF ALL SCIENTIFIC THEORIES ARE EVENTUALLY PROVED TO BE FALSE.

With enough of these examinations and tests confirmed by multiple sources in the scientific community a theory begins to be accepted amongst scientists due to its track record. People like Newton, Kepler, Galileo, Kelvin, Darwin, Maxwell, Faraday, Einstein, etc. aren't famous because they published theories which are true; rather they published theories which have been so difficult to prove false.

So these theories which survive have such a mountain of evidence behind them and scientists have spent literally hundreds of years trying to invalidate them with no success and more scientific theories based upon these earlier conclusions are also difficult to invalidate that, for all practical purposes, it is absurd to say the theory is false. Because everything we know about it says otherwise!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-03-2017, 09:45 AM
Despite this being a troll-originated thread, it's worth posting because of the knowledge we are accumulating for fence-sitters.

Believe it or not, Ricky Gervais made a fine point on Stephen Colbert's show about a month or so ago when the Catholic ham asked him about his atheism. He basically said the difference between religion and science is, if you eliminated all of the knowledge of both, just erased all of it from the earth, in a thousand years the science would return and still be true, but the religion would not. Basically, we would know water freezes when it gets cold, but we would not know some hairy Jew walked on that same water in the desert.

BTW: I'm writing and posting this on a moving cruise ship in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico from my iPad. If that doesn't prove science works, bitches, then nothing does.

And like I always say about evolution, if you don't think it's true, pick up a shovel, prove it false and win your million bucks.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like WillHopp's post