How were old testament people saved?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2015, 06:21 AM
RE: How were old testament people saved?
Bloody religion, Christianity.....

They sacrificed animals - for the blood.........

Really....

They really did.

Seriously......

fruitbag assholes, the lot of 'em.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2015, 07:01 AM
(09-02-2015 05:39 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  We're told we can't be saved unless we believe in Jesus. But what about all the people before Jesus? Did they all go to hell? When I was a kid I asked my pastor about it and he told me that everyone in the OT who believed Jesus was coming were saved. That got me by as a kid but then what about the whole "he died for our sins" deal? I thought we couldn't get into heaven without Jesus dying and if OT people could be saved then what was the point?

This is what happens when one religion piggybacks on another and retcons certain things without adequately explaining them. You get continuity errors that can only be "resolved" by speculation.

The "official" Christian answer on this is "there is no official answer". People will cherry pick quotes from scripture to bolster whatever claim they want. See Ken Ham declaring all aliens are bound by original sin. It's kind of hard to apply biblical "truths" to things that aren't biblical; Old Testament salvation is not a biblical concept.

The actual answer is "there's no evidence either of those religions or their respective claims of the afterlife or salvation are true".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
10-02-2015, 03:00 PM
(09-02-2015 05:39 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  We're told we can't be saved unless we believe in Jesus. But what about all the people before Jesus? Did they all go to hell? When I was a kid I asked my pastor about it and he told me that everyone in the OT who believed Jesus was coming were saved. That got me by as a kid but then what about the whole "he died for our sins" deal? I thought we couldn't get into heaven without Jesus dying and if OT people could be saved then what was the point?

The standard apologetic I've heard is that Jewsus descended into hell to save those who had died before his faux sacrifice. Of course, this means that god had been torturing ignorant people for no reason, given that the whole 'salvation mechanic' wasn't added in unto the NT.

The contrary apologetic is that nobody went to hell before Jewsus; gawd overlooked our ignorance, which also opens up a few questions, most notably that found in the old joke:
A missionary travels to a remote village to spread the gospel. He talks with everyone there about Jesus, telling them that if they do not accept Jesus into their hearts, they will burn in hell for all eternity. Before the missionary leaves, the tribal elder asks, “What if we had never heard about Jesus? Would we still burn in hell?” The missionary replies, “No, I suppose you would go to heaven for all eternity,” to which the elder replies “Then why the hell did you tell us about him!?”

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.