How will you explain to your children...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2013, 03:30 PM
How will you explain to your children...
In a world where there's no scientific proof of God's existence and of life after death how will you explain to your children why you brought them into the world and why they will have to die?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013, 03:37 PM
RE: How will you explain to your children...
What does one have to do with the other? Why does the non-existence of God require an explanation for bringing children into the world and for why they will one day die?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
08-09-2013, 03:44 PM
(08-09-2013 03:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  What does one have to do with the other? Why does the non-existence of God require an explanation for bringing children into the world and for why they will one day die?
if there is no god than biological parents are fully responsible for their children's life.
08-09-2013, 03:45 PM

(08-09-2013 03:30 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  In a world where there's no scientific proof of God's existence and of life after death how will you explain to your children why you brought them into the world and why they will have to die?

When I was a kid, I didn't care. I didn't see anything troubling about death, so I think people often unduly believe that death will be a tough subject to discuss with their children. I've heard that some parents talked/wrote about how their kids were scared of death - I wasn't. I guess it's all individual. A parent who knows his/her children will find a proper way to talk about tough subjects with them, I'm sure.

In any case, it's better to tell children that when they die, they die, rather than that they'll burn in hell for an eternity if they disobey a sky-daddy. I don't have children, but if I had, I'd ask them, "What do you think about what happens after death? Let's discuss it." I'd encourage them to think freely and exchange ideas, starting at young age.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Philosoraptor's post
08-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I told them that I did it out of spite.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
08-09-2013, 04:02 PM
(08-09-2013 03:44 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(08-09-2013 03:37 PM)Impulse Wrote:  What does one have to do with the other? Why does the non-existence of God require an explanation for bringing children into the world and for why they will one day die?
if there is no god than biological parents are fully responsible for their children's life.
I'm still not seeing how that necessitates the explanations that you asked about. But in the interest of not being overly difficult, the explanation for why my wife and I brought them into the world is the same with or without a god. It's because we love children and we love sharing life with them. As for death, the explanation for why they must one day die is all science.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
08-09-2013, 04:05 PM
(08-09-2013 03:44 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  

When the hell was that up for grabs? I was responsible and took that responsibility very seriously (still do) when I had my kids, who I managed to keep alive into adulthood. Without a god's help.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
08-09-2013, 04:07 PM

If you need a god in order to be a responsible parent, then you have to ask yourself how good a parent you are.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Philosoraptor's post
08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
(08-09-2013 03:30 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  In a world where there's no scientific proof of God's existence and of life after death how will you explain to your children why you brought them into the world and why they will have to die?

"Life is usually pretty good, and yeah, it ends eventually, but overall it's pretty awesome, full of fun stuff, so enjoy it for all it's worth. Also, the condom failed."

... I'm gonna have messed up kids.
08-09-2013, 04:52 PM

I was raised as an atheist, my kids, now 19 and 21, were raised as atheists. I had children because I love kids and loved their father (still do) so I don't understand what the problem is. When you die and don't exist. I never understand what's wrong with being dead. Why is it a problem? Before you were born you didn't exist so you just go back to non-existence. It's as simple as that.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post