How would heaven work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2015, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015 04:41 AM by Sam Polter.)
Rainbow How would heaven work
Just wondering because i think at no place in the bible does it detail how heaven works.

For example: Your family

Do you see them as they died (everyone is old) which would not be much fun for eternity. Do you see them young? I would not want to stay long with teenage versions of my parents as kinda strange. Dodgy

Mental health? Do they keep mental health problems that helped make them them? For example if some one was mentally disabled them suddenly being able to think/interact properly would remove part of who they were.

ect

Any answers? Thumbsup

"If something is true, no amount of wishful thinking will change it."
Richard Dawkins Bowing
I am part time vogon and owner of atheist websitehttp://proofevolutionisfalse.com
Best pal: Arthur Dent
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Sam Polter's post
31-07-2015, 04:40 AM
RE: How would heaven work
You get different answers all the time from people interpreting it. Or often with debaters or apologists they'll say they don't know how Heaven works just yet, but turn it into a threat about how you will or won't if you aren't fitting their way to get their. It's funny how often they are so confident about how to get to Heaven and certain about God's creation of it, but don't know the other details.

There are some passages if you want to grasp it like in Revelations there is a vision of heaven which just seems to have all the people in constant praise of God on their knees. If these people have so called free will they had on Earth or know their loved ones who may not be in Heaven but in hell it's never explained of course.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
31-07-2015, 05:28 AM
I remember some preacher at the church I went to explain that we would all have "glorified" bodies which would be our optimal body with optimal health at an optimal age, I believe he even stated the optimal age was 30ish.

LOL, he just pulled it all out of his ass, just like everything else that involved specifics about such things.

It was stuff like this that was an easy target for a skeptical mind.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
31-07-2015, 05:33 AM
As with all works of fiction -- it's going to be just like YOU want it.....

Funny how that works......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
31-07-2015, 06:09 AM
(31-07-2015 04:36 AM)Sam Polter Wrote:  Just wondering because i think at no place in the bible does it detail how heaven works.

The short answer is: it doesn't.

And I'm not talking from the snarky point of view of "lol heaven doesn't exist, so of course it doesn't work". I mean that the notion of a place where everything is "good" and no one is "bad", but this isn't a problem totally violates the concept of free will being necessary to justify evil and suffering on earth. The very idea of heaven kills theodicy.

So, starting knowing that and the fact that the Bible is super vague on the idea, realize that anything anyone posits on heaven is going to be super contradictory and/or uselessly vague.

(31-07-2015 04:36 AM)Sam Polter Wrote:  Do you see them as they died (everyone is old) which would not be much fun for eternity. Do you see them young? I would not want to stay long with teenage versions of my parents as kinda strange. Dodgy

No answer stated. I've heard people say that heaven is "timeless" or something, and that we all arrive there "simultaneously", so there's no waiting around for loved ones. That being said, I don't know if there is a scriptural basis for this claim or not.

(31-07-2015 04:36 AM)Sam Polter Wrote:  Mental health? Do they keep mental health problems that helped make them them? For example if some one was mentally disabled them suddenly being able to think/interact properly would remove part of who they were.

This is on one of those things that will probably get a very fuzzy, gerrymandered, and extremely vague line drawn to separate the issues. I imagine people would probably say something like "your soul goes to heaven". So, if a person gets hit in the head and becomes stupid, their "normally smart" soul goes to heaven. As for someone born with some odd, quirky personality traits, they might say that "God loves that person, and they go to heaven as-is". Of course, someone who's born with an issue that makes them hear voices or something problematic might get "cured" in heaven, because that answer makes people feel better. I have no idea how they'd gerrymander things like Downs Syndrome. Maybe that person is quirky and loved in heaven, or maybe they're cured.

Who knows!? It's Bible-fan-fiction!
31-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Heaven:

The gates of Heaven made out of bacon.
Streets of purest bacon.
Mansion built of bacon.
The grand feast of bacon.
Cherubs just another word for flying bacon, playing bacon harps.
The hand of God made out of bacon.
Friends will be there... guess what... they made of bacon too...

My blog
[Image: communion_zpslrzvgcuh.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like WalkingSnake's post
31-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Well my parents are going straight to hell, as are most of my family and friends. If I went to heaven I would be surrounded by nobody I loved. And to counteract the daily misery of knowing they are burning forever I will have my memory erased.

Considering I have become ME mainly through my interactions of others... I won't be me anymore because I won't remember any of those people.

So it doesn't matter what i do in this life I will never experience heaven. Sure... There will be copy of me with no memories of my childhood, my parents or loved ones. Just an empty, lonely, emotionless shell of me praising God all day every day for eternity.

Wow. Sounds like an episode of The Twilight Zone
31-07-2015, 07:47 AM
I have wondered about some of these issues myself. Like, if we are imperfect and sin all the time, what is to stop us from sinning in heaven. And according to jebus who introduced the thought police, just thinking about sex with a woman who is not your wife is a sin. So all sinful thoughts disappear in heaven?

And what if Hitler had repented before he died??? It is not as if that automatically makes him a good person. Would he be in heaven and still be a racist megalomaniac jerk?

What if you are a widow and remarry??? Will you be able to have sex with both wives? Is there even sex in heaven?
31-07-2015, 08:25 AM
(31-07-2015 07:47 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  I have wondered about some of these issues myself. Like, if we are imperfect and sin all the time, what is to stop us from sinning in heaven. And according to jebus who introduced the thought police, just thinking about sex with a woman who is not your wife is a sin. So all sinful thoughts disappear in heaven?

And what if Hitler had repented before he died??? It is not as if that automatically makes him a good person. Would he be in heaven and still be a racist megalomaniac jerk?

What if you are a widow and remarry??? Will you be able to have sex with both wives? Is there even sex in heaven?

My wife has had this discussion with her hipster-Christian parents (you know the type, 'God is love, and anything that's bad is The Enemy'), and they said that in heaven there is no marriage, and that the desire to commit sin is non-existent. The way the describe the loss of sin is not unlike the way a Buddhist attains "nirvana". As someone else said, they don't realize that this means that free will is nil and void. I can't remember who it was (I want to say George Carlin), but a comedian talked about what heaven would be like, and it's pretty much that Christians expect to go to heaven and sit around doing boring shit for all eternity, even though that shit is boring here. IMHO, I don't think Christians actually think that hard about what heaven would even be like, because I wouldn't want to live forever, regardless of what the fuck i'd be doing.
[+] 1 user Likes EppurSiMuove's post
31-07-2015, 09:56 AM
(31-07-2015 07:42 AM)TheStraightener Wrote:  Well my parents are going straight to hell, as are most of my family and friends. If I went to heaven I would be surrounded by nobody I loved. And to counteract the daily misery of knowing they are burning forever I will have my memory erased.

Considering I have become ME mainly through my interactions of others... I won't be me anymore because I won't remember any of those people.

So it doesn't matter what i do in this life I will never experience heaven. Sure... There will be copy of me with no memories of my childhood, my parents or loved ones. Just an empty, lonely, emotionless shell of me praising God all day every day for eternity.

Wow. Sounds like an episode of The Twilight Zone

Well, the Greeks thought this heaven and hell thing through. They came up with the River Lethe, the River of Forgetfulness. On the way to the afterlife one was required to drink from this river to forget one's earthly life.

http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-c...scarriage/

In many ways the Greek myths make much more sense than the bibble. Their gods are gods but with human foibles. The Greek gods imperfections were used to explain why humans were also imperfect.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post