How would the perfect goverment look like ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Information How would the perfect goverment look like ?
hi everyone,
i am interested in hearing what would be the best form of government in your opinion. Lets say you have been choosen to lead a country however you see fit ( lets assume its a country similar to the UK ( or France , Germany etc )). What would you do, how would you prevent corruption in your government , how would you deal with other countries etc. Lets also assume that our fictional country starts of as a blank slate ( meaning that it has no debt or conflicts with other countries etc). The more detail you give the better.

Also, your country does not need to be democratic, it can be a dictatorship, a theocracy etc, but give reasons for your choice.

i think this will be a fun activity . ( btw if somebody posts a system you like , like the post so that we can count likes in the end and determine a winner )
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2013, 05:10 PM
RE: How would the perfect goverment look like ?
(30-08-2013 04:47 PM)H2O2 Wrote:  Lets also assume that our fictional country starts of as a blank slate ( meaning that it has no debt or conflicts with other countries etc).

As much as i'd like to participate in this thought experiment, it's too fantastical and useless if you retain this assumption. We don't live in a vacuum. The whole point should be how to deal with internal and external stresses.

Just pick a US state or choose a county that can get away with a political revolution.

Or whatever. I'm interested in what others have to say.
30-08-2013, 05:16 PM
Bow down and worship me!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-08-2013, 06:10 PM
I would remove parties. I am sick in the UK of watching parliament and the amount of digs, jockeying and insults thrown. I am sick of hearing "We are only in this position because xxxx was in power" or "We inherited problems because of xxxx"

Its pure and simple scapegoating of almost imaginary entity's (the label/title attributing each party... Conservative, labour and liberals)

Just because I eliminate parties doesn't mean I would eliminate opposition to ideas or plans that the government want to implement. I would keep a democratic system in place but instead of voting for a party you vote for your local politician who represents you.

I would try to bridge the gap further to help the "common" person have a say and input into what goes off with regards to decisions towards the future. Not many people in my country know how the political system works nor does it seem they are interested or feel (as it appears to me) that what they feel about things actually makes a difference or that they can have a voice. So I would implement in the education system this....

1: How the political system works.
2: How people can get involved and have a voice.
3: The importance of having your say and being heard, on a local level and wider.

To avoid conflict of interests with regards to corruption I would make it so that if you become a politician, then that is the only thing you can do in a proffesional capacity. You will not be allowed to sit on any boards of companies, you will not be allowed to be lobbied (which i shall come to in a minute) if you wish to represent the people, then in some ways you have to sacrifice yourself for this task. Politicians wont be able to make huge sums of money, but I dont want people to come into power for this, I want people to come in to make a positive difference and that should be their only priority. If you wish to represent the people then you are in fact some ways...owned by the people. So you can be entitled to your privacy however for the most part everything you do is transparent. If the people want to know anything about you or your life, then they get access to it (within reason)

Lobbying..... will be completely transparent and can only be done in the public arena/parliament. Any private Lobbying will be made illegal and I cant see how it would work when I eliminate that all MP's are not allowed to make money any other way other than being paid to be an MP.

When you reach a 16 years of age you are given a unique identification that the democratic system recognises you from (to stop fraud in the democratic process). This identification will be used in you having a say on what goes on through a newly made system/website that is like a thinktank. Every week there will be questions published, with a poll that every single citizen can have a vote on. The results of these will be broken down into...

16-21 years.
21-30 years.
30-65 years.
65+ years.

So if the question is "Should Migration be limited" for example... out of the options given the people in the government can see how the younger generations feel about the subject, how people of a working age feel and how people who are retired feel... all about the same subject from being asked the same question.

I understand that some decisions will have far reaching effects (like staying in the european union for example), so for these massive decisions then impartial advice on both the positives and negatives of the situation will be made public beforehand and reviewed on an ongoing basis. Discussion on these things will be encouraged on a national level.

If people do not wish to work in the private sector and receive benefits for the rest of their life's. Then I have no problem with this whatsoever. However for them to receive these benefits they will have to work at least one day in their communities. This can be graffiti removal, grounds keeping, litter picking etc. They will compliment the current system and become a surplus of wo/man power.

Local charities will be able to apply for help and after meeting a criteria they will be offered people from the surplus.

ALL "mainstream" drugs will be legalised by my government once a criteria is met Like....

A system can be put into place that spotchecks people for toxicity. For example at the moment people can be breathalyzed for alcohol content whilst driving. If I can implement something that does this for marijuana then that will become legal. This will increase money into the economy through licensed business growing it and selling it. It will be taxed and all proceeds of that money will go into rehabilitation, education and any excess (which I imagine there will be a lot of) will be put back into the system.

I could go on and on and on but I think my post/essay is big enough already and If you have read all of this then I applaud you lol.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
30-08-2013, 08:36 PM
We're actually discussing this in AP Gov right now. While I'd love to jump right in and say that democracy is the best thing for every country, it really isn't that great at all. True democracy means everyone votes on everything. It becomes really easy for the majority to take away the power and rights of the minority and it becomes much easier to fool people. Imagine I'm the president (which would really just be a nominal thing as all I'd be able to due in a true democracy is propose laws) I wanted to raise my salary to a million dollars a year and I don't know, start making crack a required ingredient in all baby food because I'm a baby-hating atheist (as we all are). All I'd have to do is write a ridiculously long bill (like say 100+ pages) and disguise it as the Bill to Increase Sunshine and Rainbows and Help Babies (I'm in a very weird mood right now). I'd put some good stuff in there and in the fine print somewhere, mention my crazy ideas so that no one would notice until it was too late. Most people would read the first few pages and then vote yes. I'd become a tyrannical dictator. Bam. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. It's too easy to abuse the system.

I do think that a reformed republic would probably be the best form of government. For example in the US, we have the electoral college which makes it way too easy to become president with only about 20% of the population voting for you (as explained in CGPGrey's fantastic video). I think it should be strictly based on popular vote. But I also think there should be more to it (another playlist of CGPGrey videos explains a lot of the problems of the most common voting systems and the best solutions).

I know there's a lot more to government than just voting, but right now I don't feel like going into more detail about what the best government would be. Maybe I will later.
31-08-2013, 05:57 AM
my idea of a perfect government looks similar to that of bemore.

The country would be a democracy with the difference that the elected party can suggest ideas which are then decided by public vote. everyone would have a user account which allows them to access a website where they can vote on all kinds of issues. The impact a certain vote has would be determined by the situation each person is in ( e.g in decisions regarding the education system the votes of parents, students and teachers would count more than those of other people ).

People elected into the government would be completely transparent financially and would receive an average wage. after they finished their job and retired they would continue to receive that money and would be prohibited to work any job for 5 years ( to prevent them getting bought with well paid jobs ).

The president would have the power to veto a decision taken by public vote, but he then would have to resign his/her post. The parliament would consist of experts in their specific areas ( e.g only people who where educators themselves would be allowed to become minister of education ).The vote of ministers would also have a great impact in their specific areas of expertise.

Police would be required to wear a helmet cam at all times which has to be running constantly.If an arrest is made and the camera happens to "break" then all charges will be dropped.Since we are speaking about a country like UK where weapons are not freely available police would also only carry non lethal weapons. If a police officer is cought breaking the law on duty he would be fired and and prevented from ever working a government job again ( only when breaking serious laws, an officer would not get fired for accidentally jumping a red light etc ). When somebody is suspected of a crime his identity would remain secret until he is proven guilty so that in the case that he is not his life would not be ruined. When somebody accuses somebody else of a crime although they know he did not commit it , the person would receive the punishment the other person might have received if found guilty.

News channels would be forced to present facts without bias and would be held accountable for their news ( e.g if they don't check their facts or deliberately lie to their viewers they would be fined and would have to make a public statement correcting their mistake). Freedom of expression would be an undeniable right , no court order could prohibit you from disclosing information ( like with the lavabit case)

in presidential elections each party would be allowed to attend certain events but would be prohibited from doing anything outside of those events. This would prevent them touring through the country on their own trying to gather support since that requires a large sum of money which not everyone has available. Candidates would be prohibited from saying anything about their religion or lack of religion. Speeches of candidates would have to be purely factual without playing to peoples emotion (speeches can be enthusiastic, but not trying to guilt people into voting you , and no personal attacks on the other candidate). For every promise made during the elections or in office a specific date must be stated by which that promise will be fulfilled , if that date is not met a vote is taken deciding whether the president will be removed from office (this should prevent every candidate making a bunch of meaningless promises just to get elected).

every drug would be decriminalized , but people buying certain drugs ( depending on their severity would be forbidden from participating in certain activity's (such as driving ) or working jobs where their intoxicated state could harm others ). Anyone selling drugs outside of specific stores without a license or to underage people would be punished with harsh prison sentences.

The prison system would aim to reintegrate the prisoners to society ( not just lock them away for as long as possible ). A criminal would get assigned a certain number of points he/she would have to work of in order to be released. Points could be worked off by doing work or by taking classes and receiving an education (the amount of points deducted depends on the grades the prisoner archives in those classes ). Prisons would not be private but government owned ( to prevent privatized prisons using prisoners as a source of cheap labor to make large profits )

The military would be strictly defense only ( or in cases where there are grave human rights violations in other countrys, but those actions would be closely monitored )

that's the basic idea, it might not work and be impossible to implement, but this is a "perfect case scenario" thought experiment.
31-08-2013, 05:59 AM
(30-08-2013 05:10 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  As much as i'd like to participate in this thought experiment, it's too fantastical and useless if you retain this assumption. We don't live in a vacuum. The whole point should be how to deal with internal and external stresses.

well you are free to choose and describe your ideas in a more realistic scenario Smile
31-08-2013, 06:12 AM
Bemore,
Maybe because of the font size on my phone or the dying light where I'm sitting or my failing eyesight, I read your first sentence as "I would remove panties".

Damn it boy! You've got my vote!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-08-2013, 07:09 AM
1) This isn't the politics section

2) There is a thread exactly like this not that old.

3) @bemore, tl;dr but I assume it was idiotic.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
31-08-2013, 08:20 AM
Hmmm, my views of a perfect (though not achievable) Government would totally different to bemore and H2O2. My first priority would be to remove the general public from politics as much as possible (or probably altogether). The average person knows fuck all about running a country, leaving the decisions on such things to them is retarded. Leave the decisions on these things to people who work in politics full time and so have the time to actually understand the decisions and the consequences of the various actions.

I like the idea of a benevolent dictatorship. All the power centralised in one person who is wise and will do what he/she thinks is best for the country at all times. The can have as much of a support network as they want but final power rests with them.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.