How would you as an atheist describe this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 08:21 AM
RE: How would you as an atheist describe this?
I mean.... there's so many way's one could approach the examples in the OP....

One thing on the topic worth watching would be this I think.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
14-03-2017, 08:23 AM
(14-03-2017 04:26 AM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I was heavily into the new age scene, and for a while thought I was possessed by demons. But I went to the doctor and she said I had PTSD from being abused as a child, and my therapist said I had a transient psychotic episode.

My mum tried to get me to become a Christian, and I saw visions of Jesus and stuff, but I know that could all just be hallucinations due to my mental health.

The questions that I have is how would you explain these particular instances in my life:

1. I went out with a guy who was into new age too, and twice we shared a telepathic moment where we heard exactly the same thing in our minds very clearly at exactly the same time. We confirmed this together... How do you explain that?

2. I saw a distance new age 'energy healer' via Skype once and she lit frankincense and myrrh in her room and immediately I felt the wind from the flame and smelled it even though I had never smelled frankincense and myrrh before. I later the next day went into town and bought that exact same incense and it smelled the same as when she lit it in her room. How do you explain this?

Those are the two main things I cannot get my head around. Everything else I can see as having a science-y explanation, except those two things. I kinda want to be atheist these days because I am done with psychotic hallucinations. But I need to have a reason and some proper understanding as to these events in my life...

Thank you all.

Also welcome! Feel free to PM me anytime, I'm always down to chat and share my thoughts

(No joke if you look me up here you'll see I like to talk lol)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
14-03-2017, 08:55 AM
(14-03-2017 08:14 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  And here's a galaxy that looks like it's giving us the finger:
[Image: screw-you-galaxy.jpg]

That may be the best evidence yet that there is a god. It certainly would explain a lot.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
14-03-2017, 08:57 AM
(14-03-2017 08:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(14-03-2017 08:14 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  And here's a galaxy that looks like it's giving us the finger:
[Image: screw-you-galaxy.jpg]

That may be the best evidence yet that there is a god. It certainly would explain a lot.

Laugh out load Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
14-03-2017, 09:06 AM
I too have had a number of similarly strange eerie inexplicable experiences. I tell myself it was just the LSD or PCP talking. Because if it wasn't .... Hobo

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-03-2017, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2017 09:55 AM by kim.)
(14-03-2017 04:26 AM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  I was heavily into the new age scene, and for a while thought I was possessed by demons. But I went to the doctor and she said I had PTSD from being abused as a child, and my therapist said I had a transient psychotic episode.

My mum tried to get me to become a Christian, and I saw visions of Jesus and stuff, but I know that could all just be hallucinations due to my mental health.

The questions that I have is how would you explain these particular instances in my life:

1. I went out with a guy who was into new age too, and twice we shared a telepathic moment where we heard exactly the same thing in our minds very clearly at exactly the same time. We confirmed this together... How do you explain that?

2. I saw a distance new age 'energy healer' via Skype once and she lit frankincense and myrrh in her room and immediately I felt the wind from the flame and smelled it even though I had never smelled frankincense and myrrh before. I later the next day went into town and bought that exact same incense and it smelled the same as when she lit it in her room. How do you explain this?

Those are the two main things I cannot get my head around. Everything else I can see as having a science-y explanation, except those two things. I kinda want to be atheist these days because I am done with psychotic hallucinations. But I need to have a reason and some proper understanding as to these events in my life...

Thank you all.

Hello Hayleymayonline - glad to have you here. Shy

You've already answered your own questions - ^^I've bolded them for you^^ - and your own mind instinctively knows those things did not actually happen. Otherwise, you wouldn't be asking for help from people who already reject those things.

The mind grasps for what is familiar. You were into new agey crap and that's where your mind went for plausible answers, how ever outlandish those answers may be.

No one cares if you are atheist or not - that's your business.

Get and continue proper mental health care.

Stop basing all your "reason and understanding" on a foundation of superstitious notions gleaned from folklore and pop-religious nonsense.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
14-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Something must be said ....

Any organization which consistently argues that it's existence provides "comfort" and then uses terroristic threats of fictional beings is a fucking SCAM.

/true story .... Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
14-03-2017, 04:41 PM
Hiya! Smile

I completely admire your search to find a reasonable explanation to things without jumping to conclusions. That, sadly, is not a trait that everyone possesses or even thinks is admirable.

I would agree with what everyone put in the forum previously. I have had my fair share of odd things happen. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned telepathy. A friend of mine and I had a really weird moment where we were literally thinking about the cinematography of a movie we were watching (So not something too obviously thought at the same time, usually) and we said what we were thinking out loud. I am now convinced that happened because of familiarity. She and I had grown up together and had very similar interests so it'd only make sense that we'd be paying attention to the same things, I would think.

I've also grown around people that have had odd experiences that I've since explained. Sometimes it's a lot of correlation, forgotten sensory output, and sensory hallucinations (as you've mentioned.)
[+] 1 user Likes Larai19's post
14-03-2017, 05:11 PM
(14-03-2017 04:26 AM)hayleymayonline Wrote:  1. I went out with a guy who was into new age too, and twice we shared a telepathic moment where we heard exactly the same thing in our minds very clearly at exactly the same time. We confirmed this together... How do you explain that?

Without specifics, that doesn't surprise me at all. You were in the same environment subject to the same triggers and have similar beliefs. When you compare notes you are likely to "adjust" your memory so that something similar becomes something exact.

Quote:2. I saw a distance new age 'energy healer' via Skype once and she lit frankincense and myrrh in her room and immediately I felt the wind from the flame and smelled it even though I had never smelled frankincense and myrrh before. I later the next day went into town and bought that exact same incense and it smelled the same as when she lit it in her room. How do you explain this?

I can't explain the "wind from the flame" because I have no idea what you mean by that. It'd take a pretty big fire to generate a wind that could be felt.

As for the smell, I'd guess that you possibly had smelled it before or simply imagined what it smelled like and then convinced yourself later that you had smelled exactly the same scent for the first time. The mind and the memory are notoriously pliable.

Without controlled experiments the very best you can say is that something odd happened for which you have no immediate explanation.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
14-03-2017, 09:49 PM
Hello everyone, I appreciate all the responses! Right now it's almost 4am and I can't sleep so I just took a sleeping pill and I will make a short general reply.

A lot of you have commented about my telepathy experience and what the reason could've been. Well when these two telepathic experiences happened it was in the first week of getting to know each other, and we were about 250 miles apart, communicating only via the internet. At the times it happened we were not in communication and in fact the first time it was only after we had exchanged a couple of emails that we had this shared experience and it totally blew our minds because we'd never experienced anything like it before. It wasn't like a normal thought that you think, it was like a literal voice in our heads talking. It was so bizarre.

However, I think you are all right in saying that some things just can't be explained yet and I liked that you all shared your strange experiences too but that you don't think they innately mean anything mystical. I think for me I've always jumped to the mystical conclusion without really examining things clearly (even if I thought I was being rational at the time, lol)

I was just happening to watch a film yesterday called Agora, about the Christians and Romans in roughly the third century AD. The topic of round vs flat earth was brought up and the philosophers were saying "obviously the earth is flat because if it were round how do the people on the bottom not fall off, and how do the people on the sides on slip down?" Of course that's perfectly valid reasoning so to them the idea sounded impossible or mystical. But turns out we know now there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for it (gravity)... So maybe these weird experiences are similar in that we just haven't learned the scientific reasons yet.
[+] 6 users Like hayleymayonline's post