How would you deal with Sye Ten Bruggencate's arguments?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2014, 06:41 AM
RE: How would you deal with Sye Ten Bruggencate's arguments?
(31-05-2014 06:04 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 05:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Citation : Your comment about a deity being "subject" to something.
It was one of the most brilliant insights anyone here has ever come up with.

Unfortunately , Sye proves that we can't have logic without God. So, my premise was fallacious.

Sye doesn't "prove" anything. He's a snake oil salesman. He's seriously one of THE most idiotic morons walking the Earth.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2014, 06:54 AM
(31-05-2014 05:03 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  ...
The one question that absolutely defeats atheism is "Do you believe in absolute truth?".

Yawn!

It's an equivocation fallacy.

Facepalm

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
31-05-2014, 07:05 AM
(31-05-2014 06:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Sye doesn't "prove" anything. He's a snake oil salesman. He's seriously one of THE most idiotic morons walking the Earth.

He has pwned everyone in every debate I've seen of him. The problem here is that you can't use logic against him. Logic requires God.

Truth seeker.
31-05-2014, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2014 07:27 AM by DLJ.)
(31-05-2014 07:05 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  ...
Logic requires God.

Nah! Logic requires humans.

By the way, this...
(31-05-2014 05:51 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  ...
I only leave my house about once a week. I'm on my computer 95% of the time I'm awake.

... sounds like my idea of heaven. I'm jealous.

I'd be happy to explain Sye's little trick but it'll cost you $10 and you have to promise to re-evaluate your outlook on life.

Deal?

Smile

Also, for future reference, I have debunked this argument before. If you are troubled by this stuff (or other stuff) do a search on TTA.

Thumbsup

31-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Aaaaannnnnd it's been re-purposed:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid583688

Basically whatever decision you make you have to revert back either to the beginning or one or two previous steps until you reach the single stage where he wants you to be.

His entire argument relies on you choosing:

Absolute truth exists
I know something to be true
Logic exists
Logic does not change
Logic is not made of matter
Logic is universal

... so he can say:

"Truth, knowledge, and logic are necessary to prove ANYTHING and cannot be made sense of apart from God."

So he just tacked that last bit on (in bold) without any reasoning, justification or relevance to the previous steps. In fact he could have just scrapped the whole decision tree and just put up a blank web page save only for that single sentence.

If it was even a proper attempt at a proof then all the preceding premises would have made it clear why you can't make sense of anything without God.

Busted.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
31-05-2014, 09:06 AM
(31-05-2014 07:23 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Aaaaannnnnd it's been re-purposed:

Basically whatever decision you make you have to revert back either to the beginning or one or two previous steps until you reach the single stage where he wants you to be.

Absolute truth exists
Logic exists
Logic does not change
Logic is universal

... so he can say:

"Truth, knowledge, and logic are necessary to prove ANYTHING and cannot be made sense of apart from God."

So he just tacked that last bit on (in bold) without any reasoning, justification or relevance to the previous steps. In fact he could have just scrapped the whole decision tree and just put up a blank web page save only for that single sentence.

If it was even a proper attempt at a proof then all the preceding premises would have made it clear why you can't make sense of anything without God.

Busted.

You're still using logic. Disproving God with logic is self contradictory.

Truth seeker.
31-05-2014, 09:12 AM
(31-05-2014 09:06 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  

Absolute truth exists
Logic exists
Logic does not change
Logic is universal

... so he can say:

Busted.

No, it's really not. Just because someone is aggressive in a debate does not make their points any more valid, it just highlights the limitations of the debate format. Sye's bullshit falls apart immediately if he cannot control every single aspect of it and he draws conclusions that have nothing to do with the previous statements. It is the ultimate gish gallop and has been broken down and shown where it fails.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
31-05-2014, 09:16 AM
(31-05-2014 09:06 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  

Absolute truth exists
Logic exists
Logic does not change
Logic is universal

... so he can say:

Busted.

Nope.
"There are no gods" is a *negative*.
Logic teaches you no one can prove a negative. No one is even attempting that.
The *positive* claim is for the existence of a deity.
"Deities existing" is what is self-refuting. A deity which exists MUST participate in Reality. You yourself said that. Where did Reality come from ? Deities not only answer nothing, (logical), the notion is entirely devoid of meaning.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-05-2014, 09:26 AM
You don't want the $10 deal?

OK, I'll give you a clue...

Absolute truth ... adjective.

Absolutely true ... adverb.

See if you can take it from there.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
31-05-2014, 09:30 AM
(31-05-2014 07:05 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(31-05-2014 06:41 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Sye doesn't "prove" anything. He's a snake oil salesman. He's seriously one of THE most idiotic morons walking the Earth.

He has pwned everyone in every debate I've seen of him. The problem here is that you can't use logic against him. Logic requires God.

No shit - according to his own premises.

It's called "presuppositional" for a reason. It only makes sense if you already believe it.

Conversely, if you don't blindly buy into incoherent and baseless premises for no reason, there's nothing to worry about.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post