How would you deal with this argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
21-05-2014, 09:46 PM
How would you deal with this argument?
Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove God. (Sort of like Eric Hovind's "Without God, ya can't know anything". His wording is quite poor though, since it leaves several loopholes.)

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2014, 09:53 PM
RE: How would you deal with this argument?
(21-05-2014 09:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove God. (Sort of like Eric Hovind's "Without God, ya can't know anything". His wording is quite poor though, since it leaves several loopholes.)

Your brain learns. That's how you *learn* you can trust it. You learn.
Jebus don't "learn" ya nuthin. Sleepy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
21-05-2014, 09:56 PM
(21-05-2014 09:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove God. (Sort of like Eric Hovind's "Without God, ya can't know anything". His wording is quite poor though, since it leaves several loopholes.)

Your brain learns. That's how you *learn* you can trust it. You learn.

Why should I "trust" what I've "learned"? If I could completely trust myself, I would have to be omniscient and infallable.

Truth seeker.
21-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Hobo who the fuck would trust their own brain, thats why we think things over. And go with the best options for the situation and always revising them, taking into account peer feedback.

Only some loony would trust their brain, its a menageree of evolutionary steps or the product of a retarded deity.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
21-05-2014, 09:59 PM
(21-05-2014 09:58 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Hobo who the fuck would trust their own brain, thats why we think things over. And go with the best options for the situation and always revising them, taking into account peer feedback.

Only some loony would trust their brain, its a menageree of evolutionary steps or the product of a retarded deity.

That argument you made comes from your brain. You've contradicted yourself.

Truth seeker.
21-05-2014, 10:01 PM
(21-05-2014 09:59 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:58 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Hobo who the fuck would trust their own brain, thats why we think things over. And go with the best options for the situation and always revising them, taking into account peer feedback.

That argument you made comes from your brain. You've contradicted yourself.

No, dildo, we have science. Science is the way to make sure we're not fooling ourselves.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
21-05-2014, 10:02 PM
(21-05-2014 09:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your brain learns. That's how you *learn* you can trust it. You learn.

Why should I "trust" what I've "learned"? If I could completely trust myself, I would have to be omniscient and infallable.

Every time I drop something it falls. So I have learned that every time I drop something it falls. I don't need a god to know that every time I drop something it falls.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
21-05-2014, 10:03 PM
(21-05-2014 10:02 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:56 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Why should I "trust" what I've "learned"? If I could completely trust myself, I would have to be omniscient and infallable.

Every time I drop something it falls. So I have learned that every time I drop something it falls. I don't need a god to know that every time I drop something it falls.

How do you know your brain isn't making that up to satisfy itself?

Truth seeker.
21-05-2014, 10:05 PM
(21-05-2014 10:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:59 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  That argument you made comes from your brain. You've contradicted yourself.

No, dildo, we have science. Science is the way to make sure we're not fooling ourselves.

Science is just as fallable and untrustworthy as your brain.

Truth seeker.
21-05-2014, 10:09 PM

I wouldn't. It's a silly argument. Pointless, presuppositional, presumptuous, and pathetic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post