How would you deal with this argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
22-05-2014, 09:52 AM
RE: How would you deal with this argument?
(21-05-2014 09:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove God. (Sort of like Eric Hovind's "Without God, ya can't know anything". His wording is quite poor though, since it leaves several loopholes.)

Well, we know that God can't be trusted, so I guess you're proper fucked, now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-05-2014, 03:30 PM
(22-05-2014 09:52 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(21-05-2014 09:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all. Therefore, I can't use thought to disprove God. (Sort of like Eric Hovind's "Without God, ya can't know anything". His wording is quite poor though, since it leaves several loopholes.)

Well, we know that God can't be trusted, so I guess you're proper fucked, now.

There was never hope for me anyway. We're all damned to hell.

Truth seeker.
22-05-2014, 03:44 PM
(22-05-2014 03:30 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  There was never hope for me anyway. We're all damned to hell.

Noooo! You're doing it all wrong.

You want to do it like this:

22-05-2014, 03:59 PM
(21-05-2014 09:46 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  Without God, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted at all.
Wait, that's backwards. With Gawd, I have no reason to think that my brain can be trusted. Gawd has this nasty habit of inspiring people from time to time. At any given moment how can I know if my thoughts are mine or Gawd's? And, you know, that's especially true when I'm writing because at any moment Gawd might use me to create the next book in the babble. In fact, I might be creating it right now! Gawd has to make things so confusing! Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
22-05-2014, 04:03 PM
(22-05-2014 03:30 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 09:52 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Well, we know that God can't be trusted, so I guess you're proper fucked, now.

Well, except there is no such thing. So, there's that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-05-2014, 04:10 PM
(22-05-2014 09:52 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Well, we know that God can't be trusted, so I guess you're proper fucked, now.

Doubtful.
22-05-2014, 04:41 PM

I'm not, I'm fucking adorable.
22-05-2014, 04:51 PM
(22-05-2014 04:41 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 03:30 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  There was never hope for me anyway. We're all damned to hell.

I'm not, I'm fucking adorable.

What gives you the right to say that? Why so arrogant?

Truth seeker.
22-05-2014, 05:41 PM
(22-05-2014 04:51 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(22-05-2014 04:41 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  I'm not, I'm fucking adorable.

What gives you the right to say that? Why so arrogant?

Well my hair is bloody fantastic today and my...wait.....wait wait wait...was that a question from your brain!?!? Not sure I can trust it then.Rolleyes

I suppose a person who is an apathetic self titled "self-hater" would find a person with a positive self image to be "arrogant" but it's not. I just have a healthy outlook on my self and life and you don't. Your problem, not mine.

As to what gives me the right? Asides from the fact that asking a man where he gets the right to have an opinion about himself is mind numbingly pants-on-head retarded the answer is simple: there ain't no hell until it's demonstrated and I AM fucking adorable.

Also I've seen the paintings of what Christians think Hell looks like: I would not be caught dead in a place with so shit a tailor.Drinking Beverage
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
22-05-2014, 06:05 PM
(22-05-2014 04:51 PM)diddo97 Wrote:  What gives you the right to say that?

I understand it's a tactic to use the phrase, as if to say, "How is it that you can say what you are thinking ? How is that even possible ? Someone must have allowed you to speak in such a way. I'm so shocked. Shocking I don't even know what to say."

I absolutely hate it when someone asks this kind of question.

The rights I have are given to me by other people & the government. Beyond that, I truly don't have any rights granted to me by the cosmos just because I'm a living being.

None of us have any "god given rights" or inalienable rights.
We, as a people, extend rights to others in the form of ethics & morals, but it's not automatic. Lots of people fought and died to allow us to have the freedoms and rights that we have today. I appreciate their service and sacrifice, but if you're out in the middle of the woods and you encounter a bear, that bear is going to violate every right you think you have and won't lose a minute of sleep over it.

So, no, the way we speak to anyone isn't a right granted to us by anything.
We say shit. We face the consequences of the shit we say. End of story.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results